• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

And So It Begins..... Burlington/Nassahegan - 04/07/2010

WoodCore

Although I've been spending quite a bit of time in the woods of Burlington of late, today ended up being my first rip on the MTB for the 2010 season and boy was it a good one! The weather was June like and as I headed into the woods only the lack of foliage reminded me that it was the beginning of April, none the less with temps in the 80's when I started pedaling I quickly worked up a nice sweat!

Being the first ride of the year decided to take it easy and roll a mellow loop and just cruise through the forest. Planned on parking at and starting from Scoville Road but with the nice weather the parking area was literally full up so I drove on past and headed to the empty AZ preferred parking location, geared up and headed out onto the trails.

Rolled the following:

E. Chippens>Truck Trail>B Street>WC Bypass>Scoville Twisties>Jug>Cemetery Twisties>High Road>Baba's Bypass>Reservoir Road>B Street>E. Chippens

The loop came in at 8.22 miles with 1241 feet of climbing and was rolled in a little over 1.5 hours, not too shabby for the first day out!

The trails I rode for the most part are in great shape! Most everything was pretty dry with the exception of B Street which had one section that was completely water logged and needed to be walked. Logging operations appear to have ceased on the Scoville Twisties and it's almost ridable end to end however new logging activity has started in the area of the Jug, just off Scoville Road. I was definitely surprised by this however the trail is still 100% ridable.

Felt great getting back on the bike today!! Although I'm a little disappointed by the quick end to the ski season, after today's ride that's all behind me now.

o3jeff

Real good for the first ride of the season, 8 miles in 1.5 hours! I am pretty sure my first ride of the season tomorrow won't be that good.

Looks like I will have to head over there this weekend now that it has dried out.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You are THE man!!! Way to go!

See... you guys are going to smoke me in no time flat once you all start riding again. ;)

WoodCore

You are THE man!!! Way to go!

See... you guys are going to smoke me in no time flat once you all start riding again. ;)

Not too worry Sev! Too date, you're killing me on the mileage and I'm impressed with your motivation, so just keep up the good work. In the beginning of last year I pretty much got smoked by anybody I rode with! None the less, without being discouraged I managed to get out there almost everyday and just pedal at my own pace and well the rest of the story is history. Moral of the story is that it doesn't matter where you ride, what you ride, who you ride with, etc. just getting out there and do it!

Like my sig says......."If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Like my sig says......."If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"
That was going through my head over and over again when I was about halfway through my ride today and ready to cry for my stupidity in poor planning and overdoing it. So THANK YOU! :D

Tomorrow will be 5 days in a row and 6 out of 8 days. Hoping I have enough time to venture off the paved path at the Rez without being late for my afternoon class. Have to try out my new GPS/HRM, after all.

So part of B street is still a bog, though, huh? That's about the only area I've ridden at Nass. The warm-up twisties, as the guys call them, and the B Street area. I don't think I've done more than 3 or 3.5 miles total in those trails. Would like to change that this year.