• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

lightweight rain jacket

SKIQUATTRO

looking for a new lightweight breathable rain jacket for the summer months.

my GILL Sailing Jacket is bulky and hot...

looking at something like the Marmot Precip .... any suggestions appreciated

rocojerry

I get 4 seasons of use out of my Helly Hansen Verglas shell...
61038990.jpg

Skiing, Hiking, Sailing, Rain/Snow/Wind! dry as a bone.

Its been replaced under warranty, and I got it for a deal -- so almost 5 years of waterproof/windproof service.... I've only washed/re-waterproofed once....

New ones are pricey, but if you are patient and keep an eye out for last winters models, you'll find a deal...

roark

Precips are good, but basic. Definitely lightweight, it packs to almost nothing. Got mine off SAC several years ago - full price is pretty crazy. I feel the breathability is overstated in most reviews, but you can compensate with the pit zips.

skibum9995

Precip is decent, but for not too much more you can get a Marmot Mica, which is half the weight, more waterproof, and more breathable.

SKIQUATTRO

thanks...was going to head up to Marshalls/TJMaxx at lunch and see what they might have on the racks...if i strike out there i'll look online

SKIQUATTRO

Marmot Aegis ($150, got for $60)
Size L (im 5'10 185)
Vapor Blue

great jacket, light weight, huge pockets, big pit zips, perfect fit. Was out in some heavy rains the past few days, dry as a bone. Very happy

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Re breathability- I've never tried a tech material that lived up to its breathability hype (maybe it was hype created in my head). The only noticeable breathability measure I found makes any difference is some type of core venting.