• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deadliest Catch season 6

SkiDork

Dork, a couple of episodes ago, Phil suffered a large stroke during the offloading of the CM. Medivac flight to Anchorage, surgery to removal part of his skull to remove the clot/reduce the pressure/swelling on his brain.

Just before (and who knows exactly how long due to editing) his younger son Jake admitted to Phil that he was an addict, and Phil basically initially said that he wanted Jake out of his life.

Thats unfortunate. I hope he resolved that prior to dying...

drjeff

Thats unfortunate. I hope he resolved that prior to dying...

In the episode last night, it seemed like it happened, as his son Jake, enrolled into a rehab facility and a seemingly positive father/son moment happened then

drjeff

From watching After the Catch it looks like Jake has a better grip on his vices.

I was thinking the same thing, although on all the After The Catch episodes recently, whether on purpose or not, there's been way less of the Harris boys than I would have expected. Even on this weeks episode, they were only at the "main table" for a very small amount of time and then occasionally you saw them in the background and/or standing up and commenting from the background. I did think that it was quite nice, and a sign of the great respect that the other captains had for Phil, when the boys were asked about the future of the CM and this coming fall's crab season by the oher captains, that the Hillstand borthers, Sig Hansen and Keith Colburn all said without even blinking that if needed there was a place for the boys on their boats if the CM can't get out there.

drjeff

So the Hansons and Hillstrands are leaving the show. Not going to be much of a show with the top personalities gone ... http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/deadliest-catch-stars-kicked-off-show.html

Damn! I guess we won't get to find out (okay maybe through FB we will) if Sig and Edgar ever resolved their differences and if Andy and Jonathan will ever pick a successor for the captains chair of the Time Bandit.

Between the Hanson's, the Hillstand's and the Phil Harris gone, about 80% of the personalities that made that show very appealing to me are gone. I'm sure I'll still watch, and I'm sure I'll still find the heavy seas shots of the boats amazing from a cinematography standpoint, but so much of the core of that show is now gone.

wa-loaf

I thought they had just come through the area on some kind of speaking/meet the captains tour. I remember a friend posting excitedly about it in facebook. This must all have gone down recently.

Glenn

That's a bummer. Maybe it's a blessing though. I'm sure it's a lot easier to run a boat with out camera and sound guys all over the place. And some director trying to create some drama.

I assume all these boats have websites and sell gear (t-shirts mugs ect)? I know the clowns from Orange County Choppers made a buttox load of money selling t-shirts and whatnot. I think OCC merchadise yeilded more revenue than their acctual bike sales. (why you'd pay thousands for a chopper with crap tack welded to it in some sort of "theme" is beyond me. I'm more of a fan of a clean style person...to each his own)

Jesse James did the same thing with West Coast Choppers. When Monster Garage when popular, he was able to slap his WCC logo on a lot of crap...from t-shirts, to kids bicycles, radios...ect. Gotta get while the getting is good. Well, maybe not in his relationship area... :lol:

drjeff

That's a bummer. Maybe it's a blessing though. I'm sure it's a lot easier to run a boat with out camera and sound guys all over the place. And some director trying to create some drama.

I assume all these boats have websites and sell gear (t-shirts mugs ect)? I know the clowns from Orange County Choppers made a buttox load of money selling t-shirts and whatnot. I think OCC merchadise yeilded more revenue than their acctual bike sales. (why you'd pay thousands for a chopper with crap tack welded to it in some sort of "theme" is beyond me. I'm more of a fan of a clean style person...to each his own)

Jesse James did the same thing with West Coast Choppers. When Monster Garage when popular, he was able to slap his WCC logo on a lot of crap...from t-shirts, to kids bicycles, radios...ect. Gotta get while the getting is good. Well, maybe not in his relationship area... :lol:

I gotta think that those captains are taking a big financial hit - not that they haven't made a ton of cash these last few years courtesy of the added notariety the show has given them. But I'm guessing that especially these last couple of years the Discovery Channel was shelling out some decent $$ to them.

Glenn

I gotta think that those captains are taking a big financial hit - not that they haven't made a ton of cash these last few years courtesy of the added notariety the show has given them. But I'm guessing that especially these last couple of years the Discovery Channel was shelling out some decent $$ to them.

That would be an interesting stat to find out.

And I wonder how the show would do without this big players. Who's that leave? The Wizard?

drjeff

That would be an interesting stat to find out.

And I wonder how the show would do without this big players. Who's that leave? The Wizard?

You've got the Wizzard and Keith Colburn and his brother who are always good for a few blow-up rants at the crew, and then Phil Harris's boys have signed on - one would guess that they'll have a new skipper for the Cornelia Marie as his boys haven't taken enough Coast Guard courses yet to get their Captain's Licenses yet, and then "Wild Bill's" boat - his last name and the boat's name slips my mind now.

Since the fleet itself is usually around 50-70 boats, there's option out there, but who knows if a) the other captains would want Discovery aboard and b) the personalities will connect with the viewers like the one's they've lost