• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice about Tuckerman's

jaywbigred

Hello all, a newbie here...

Well, I figure the last day of February is a good time to start thinking about Tuckerman's. I'll need to ask for the time off in late april/early may soon, so, was hoping some of y'all could give me some advice. Let me tell you where I am coming from...

All through college, my ski buddies and I always talked about skiing Tucks. We skiied a lot, and a couple of us were part-time instructors at the local mountain (Greek Peak, NY). But a combo of factors, mostly related to a) poor weather and b) the timing of trips to Tucks being in the middle of finals, we never made it to Mt. Washington. They went on to jobs in NYC and elsewhere, I went to law school in the midwest and barely skiied during those 3 years.

Now, I am back on the east coast, will have logged 20+ ski days by the end of March (paltry I know, but good enough for me, working full time at a new job I started on Dec. 1!), and for the first time in awhile, all of us can likely make a trip to Tucks...

So, does anyone know of a good guidebook or website that can tell you how to plan this trip? I have read Time For Tuckermans and other various sites, but what I was hoping for was a thorough description of the whole trip: To where do I drive? Do I book locally at a motel? Where do I park to hike in? Is parking free? Difficulty of hike? What is the viability/advantage of camping? Tent v. Hut? Do i need a permit? Hut availability? Midweek or weekend? Any special equipment needed other than a good pack that I can lash skis and boots to?

I would also love to hear from anyone else who has made the trip, esp. if they are similarly situated to me and my buddies: we can ski anything in bounds pretty much anywhere in N. America (though we love to debate Corbet's and similar trails), but our experience and skill set is strictly limited to lift-served slopes and a few hike-to peaks at in bounds mountains (e.g. McKonkey's Bowl, Park City).

Thanks for any help!!

dmc

jaywbigred said:
So, does anyone know of a good guidebook or website that can tell you how to plan this trip? I have read Time For Tuckermans and other various sites, but what I was hoping for was a thorough description of the whole trip: To where do I drive? Do I book locally at a motel? Where do I park to hike in? Is parking free? Difficulty of hike? What is the viability/advantage of camping? Tent v. Hut? Do i need a permit? Hut availability? Midweek or weekend? Any special equipment needed other than a good pack that I can lash skis and boots to?

Drive to Pinkham Notch NH - this is where you'll park and begin your hike. Parking is free - just don't park in a no parking area. The hike up is not too tough... Takes somewhere between an hour and 2 hours depending on your speed..
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/pnvc/index.cfm

If you don't camp at the leanto shelters - you'll need to get a motel room.. We always stay in Gorham - tons of motels there
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Gorham,+NH

There are tent platforms available by the leanto shelters... Everything is first come first serve.. Being in the shelters gives you a jump on the whole thing.. you'll be skiing while everyone else is still hiking... You need to pay for a shelter/tent platform..
Midweek you can get a shelter no problem - weekends are tougher. Especially in April/May.

jaywbigred

Ok, we would most likely shoot for leanto/tent platform camping...who do we pay? I guess if it is first come/first serve you can't pay in advance then, right?

Thanks for the explanation!

dmc

jaywbigred said:
Ok, we would most likely shoot for leanto/tent platform camping...who do we pay? I guess if it is first come/first serve you can't pay in advance then, right?

Thanks for the explanation!

Pay at the desk at AMC in Pinkahm Notch - they;ll tell you if there's shelters available.. Hike up - find a free spot and then tell the caretaker(Seth) where you selected.....

jaywbigred

Nice map!

Thanks again for the info...any type of weather or forecast a first timer would ideally make the trip during? (obviously not rain).

dmc

jaywbigred said:
Nice map!

Thanks again for the info...any type of weather or forecast a first timer would ideally make the trip during? (obviously not rain).

HAHA!! sorry... Don't worry about the weather.. It's going to happen..
Just pick a date and be prepared for anything..

atkinson

Website
www.sugarbush.com
I think you are better off staying at Joe Dodge Lodge or in Gorham and hiking in with a daypack. You get a soft bed with no mice running over your face (good sleep is important!), dry warm boots to start the day, a nice light pack and opportunities for better food and drink. I usually beat the first campers into the bowl too. They may have a headstart in terms of location, but there are other challenges that negate this lead.

The exerience of camping in the lean-tos or on the tent platforms is pretty cool for a first time, but after that, why not do it right?

John

dmc

atkinson said:
I think you are better off staying at Joe Dodge Lodge or in Gorham and hiking in with a daypack. You get a soft bed with no mice running over your face (good sleep is important!), dry warm boots to start the day, a nice light pack and opportunities for better food and drink. I usually beat the first campers into the bowl too. They may have a headstart in terms of location, but there are other challenges that negate this lead.

The exerience of camping in the lean-tos or on the tent platforms is pretty cool for a first time, but after that, why not do it right?

John

So strongly dissagree... I only stay at JDL in March - after that it's shelters all the way...

there's so many things you can do to make yourself comfortable.. And the parties on the deck at Hojos - after everyone heads down - are awesome!

sledhaulingmedic

DMC seems to have hit most of the important points. Staying at JDL means more hiking right before you ski. Now I mostly do day trips but will tell you, it's great toclimb out of the sack, fire up the stove for breakfast and be that much further ahead of the game. If you have the time and gear for a multi day trip in staying at Hermit lake, you'll really be getting the full Tuckerman experience.

Weather? You can't plan on it, you have to plan for it. It can do anything at anytime on the rockpile, so you have to be prepared for it, including being prepared to hang it up no matter what lofty goal you and your buddies have set for the day. The ideal, however, is a series of cold nights and warm days to get the melt-freeze cycle going. Then you have good stability with yummy corn.

Mid-week vs weekend? I try to avoid the weekends. On a good weekend, there can be 2000+ people in the bowl. Yes, it makes for a "festive" atmosphere, but it greatly increases the chances of things going wrong. At least try to make it a long weekend and head up Thursday, ski a little, stay Thursday, Friday and maybe Saturday nights. Then you get to experience the place at both extremes, empty and full.

You're doing the best thing, asking lots of questions. When you're up there, ask everyone what they skied, how was it, ask the Caretaker and Rangers about stability, what's been getting traffic, etc. Over 20 consecutive seasons for me and I still ask everyone I can, and I still learn somethng new about the place everytime I go.

mergs

I was up in the ravine over this past weekend (Avy 1 course with the AMC), for the first time ever. Wow, what an amazing place.

Just being there once and I would have to agree about JDL. Even though I stayed there this weekend, and really liked my stay... being up at the lean-tos would be so much closer to the action. The hike up from JDL is about an hour to Hojos then its still 15-20? to the base of the ravine. I'm not actually sure really bc it was about that long up before we stopped and started digging pits along a riverbed. I never even saw lunchrocks or the headwall. It was windy and frickin cold.

I must say, the AMC folks and the USFS folks like Seth and Chris Joosen are cool cats. They really want everyone to have a good time and be safe, or so it seems to this newb.

I defintinitely plan on a few days there this spring... just working on pinning down a weekend with my crew. So I find great value in this thread!

Sky

Water

I'm a bit surprised NHpounderhound has not chimed in here.

First off...I've never been. But everyone I've heard/read about going or giving advice always talks up the "Drink Plenty of Water for two or three days in advance". I believe it's supposed to prevent cramps?

Anyway...just tossing it out there folks.

NHpowderhound

I dont have much time to write right now but DMC hit it pretty well. However he did say
Parking is free - just don't park in a no parking area.
That is not quite accurate anymore. The State of NH reqires anyone parking at a White Mountain parking lot to purchase a special stupid parking pass . You may get away with not buying it but the rangers/troopers love to give tickets. AS DMC said, only park in designated parking areas.
One of the most important things you can bring that too many poeple forget or just dont take seriously is SUNSCREEN! Factor 45 or higher and apply it a couple times during the day. When you get inside the bowl you are surrounded natures most reflective natural surface and it will even bake the underside of your jaw on a sunny day with new snow.
Sunglasses too!
I'll try to reply later tonight with some more thoughts.
((*
*))NHPH

Angus

I made a similar post here last year and asked this question without a good answer "Can you compare the steepness @ Tucks to any terrain at a ski area that I'm familar with" Sugarloaf, Cannon or Wildcat for example. I worry that I'll get up there and not be able to handle the steepness - there really isn't anything I can't ski (if it doesn't have big bumps) at ski areas.

dmc

Angus said:
I made a similar post here last year and asked this question without a good answer "Can you compare the steepness @ Tucks to any terrain at a ski area that I'm familar with" Sugarloaf, Cannon or Wildcat for example. I worry that I'll get up there and not be able to handle the steepness - there really isn't anything I can't ski (if it doesn't have big bumps) at ski areas.

It's really steep.. But if you just hike up the bowl and ski - it's steep but wide open.. The Chutes and gullys are REALLY steep... Like drop a few feet on every turn where they are steepest...

It's tough to compare with other areas.. From day to day - month to month - year to year - steepness varies due to snowpack..

But I'd say the bowl is as steep as a really steep run inbounds...

Best I can do...

JimG.

Staff member
Angus said:

Top of Hillman's is comparable to the steepest in bounds expert terrain in the east...Left Gully isn't too intimidating until you get to the cornice at the top. Other than that, and ignoring the Sherburne and Gulf of Slides ski trails, everything else at Tucks is steeper than anything you'll likely find in bounds at a ski area.

Remember, Tucks can be as steep and terrifying as you want it to be. If you start to feel insecure, stop hiking up and ski down.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
time for tuckerman has a detailed walk through on their site that answers many of your questions, but i will chime in with a few thoughts. i may be regurgitating some of what was mentioned before. angus: there really isn't anything in new england that can compare to the sustained steepness of tucks. it is definitely steeper than anything at cannon or wildcat at most parts. the innitial pitch isn't quite as bad, but the steeper sections are definitely steeper than anything open at most ski areas that i can think of.

So, does anyone know of a good guidebook or website that can tell you how to plan this trip?
T4T is hands down the best web site. you might also consider first chair's guide to tuckerman ravine as well at http://www.firstchairmag.com/bc/tucks/index.html - also, david goodman's backcountry skiing adventures ME & NH has a detailed tucks section with lots of good reading.

To where do I drive? Do I book locally at a motel? Where do I park to hike in? Is parking free? Difficulty of hike? What is the viability/advantage of camping? Tent v. Hut? Do i need a permit? Hut availability? Midweek or weekend? Any special equipment needed other than a good pack that I can lash skis and boots to?
you'll want to drive to pinkham notch vistor center on route 16. cheap hotels can be found in gorham including a cheap hostel called the hiker's paradise. joe dodge lodge is available from the vistor center or camping if you prefer. they book up fast and require a permit and lugging lots of gear, your call. as noted, you'll need the NH parking pass. the hike up is fairly easy but long at 2-3 hours each way (though if you can ski out it's only a one way hike depending upon when you go). if you go after the sherburne trail is closed, the hike out is a killer after hiking up and skiing all day, plan appropriately. winter boots are fine for the hiking trail, some sort of stabilizing tracktion device is helpful but crampons most definitely over kill for the TRT. some use them for climbing in the bowl, most ski boot up a boot ladder. i find a backpack capaable of holding skis helpful... others toss their skis over their shoulders and head up. special requirements? be prepared for anything, especially be prepared to turn back. LOTS of water is helpful, i bring 3L plus depending on various factors. layers are very important. weekend can be crowded, but that can be part of the fun for some people. even on a crowded weekend, hillmans highway and GOS are relatively uncrowded options.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
good point from JimG that you can go up as high as you want and stop at any time. it does require either finding a place to put on your skis or kicking in a shelf which i found rather fatiguing and perhaps the most challenging part of the entire outting. the hardest part is the climb up, once you have your skis on you'll feel like superman.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
You DO NOT need a WMNF parking sticker if you park in the main lot at Pinkham Notch. You DO need a WMNF parking sticker if you park in the overflow lots further south on Rt 16. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

-dave-