• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mtn will open for 2010-11!

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
Letter from Jim sullivan to shareholders today

April 21, 2010

Dear Shareholders:

Springtime in Londonderry is in bloom, and as we start to look forward and prepare for the next season at Magic, it seems like a good time to take a moment to reflect upon the past season and to update you all as to where we stand at present and where we need to go in order to move the mountain forward and reach our goal of stability and economic sustainability.

This past season, although not without its trials, was a very positive one in many respects. Despite being constrained by an extremely tight budget we were able to accomplish the necessary tasks throughout the fall while at the same time preserving some of the available capital for early season snow making which enabled us to open the mountain before Christmas week. As we all know, being open for the December holiday week is a critical step toward a successful season. There was not a great deal of natural snow until late February, but our snowmaking crew did an admirable job in solidifying the base and expanding terrain throughout January which enabled us to have a solid January and survive a monsoon like rain storm at the end of the month. February business was fair although weaker than years past due to the time it took to recover from the thaw. The big snow in late February created some “epic” Magic days and set up a solid March. We were able enjoy some classic Magic spring days and remain open through April 3rd which was competitive with most other Vermont ski areas. Overall, the skier visits increased to 19,000 which represents a notable increase above the 16,500 visits of the previous two seasons. As importantly, there was a palpable increase in the spirit and enthusiasm at the mountain which was largely attributable to the tone set by all of you who have purchased shares and committed to Magic’s future. I believe that we have collectively established positive momentum for the mountain which I hope will translate into more skier visits and more people supporting Magic via share purchases.

At present we have sold 174 shares. As you are all aware, we need to hit the 300 threshold before we can actually put The Partnership funds into action. Obviously we have work to do. From a realistic perspective, it is not likely that we will reach 300 shares sold in time to employ the share funds this summer. However, in order to allay some fears, I want to inform you all that I intend to proceed with this project and open the mountain next season. With the revenues from this season we will be doing some work on the mountain this summer on the snow making and lifts together with the extensive maintenance required throughout the fall with an eye toward improving the reliability of our product. At the same time I will continue to pursue share sales with vigor. We have instituted a payment plan for the purchase of shares which will hopefully result in a larger number of people being able to step forward and join our cause.

I want to again thank all of you for your support and enthusiasm. In a sense you are all Magic’s ambassadors and your promotion of the mountain in general and share sales in particular have been and will continue to be instrumental in the mountain’s success. In that light, please continue your efforts, and in addition as we move into next season we may implement some of the suggestions from last January’s shareholder meeting which actually give you all the opportunity to attract additional skiers and shareholders by offering incentives.

As always your input is always appreciated and I am happy to speak or exchange e-mails with any of you at any time. We are moving in the right direction, so keep the faith and continue to extol the virtues of our great mountain.

All the best,

Jim Sullivan
President
Magic Mountain
jsullivan@magicmtn.com
802-824-5645

pepperdawg

Out F^n Standing!!!!!!!

Cheers to continued Support of Magic - Man I wish I could swing a share......will have to keep on buying day tickets I guess - It all adds up...

drjeff

GREAT news! Now lets hope that mother nature is a bit more cooperative early season next year for Magic!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I hope they have some work parties on dates I can attend!

I don't mean anything negative by this, but Vail has been known to have nearly the same attendance figure on a single day. What a contrast between ends of the spectrum.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very good news. I am still baffled that they only have 19,000 skier days, but there's only one way to go and that is up!

RustyGroomer

Pepperdawg, funny you say that. Can’t remember who said it on another board but someone commented “Magic is like skiing @ Cheers”

Greg & bvibert no excuses next year. You tell us when you’re coming, OG & I will be happy to ski with you guys. Might even get you a cameo in the next movie.

Billski, there will be many work days. You will all know when before they happen.

Last season had the best vibe in all my years @ Magic. Thanks everyone, look for updates all summer.

neil

Cheers to continued Support of Magic - Man I wish I could swing a share......will have to keep on buying day tickets I guess - It all adds up...

AlpineZone group share? 30 people at $100 each?

RustyGroomer

That's a great idea neil. I'll offer to collect if this goes through. Magic can vouch for me & i've already done this before.

TheBEast

Now the gears are turning....so how would that work if 30 people got together to buy a share? I'd seriously consider it if we got a large enough group here to do it.

RustyGroomer

Now the gears are turning....so how would that work if 30 people got together to buy a share? I'd seriously consider it if we got a large enough group here to do it.

The only real problem is Magic can't extend the benefits to all 30 people involved. So basically it would just be a donation of $100 for 30 people & the share would go under the name AlpineZone.

For collections I have a "Save Magic" paypal account where the money could be sent. When we get 30 interested people, paypal me the cash & I write a check to the mountain.

TheBEast

The only real problem is Magic can't extend the benefits to all 30 people involved. So basically it would just be a donation of $100 for 30 people & the share would go under the name AlpineZone.

For collections I have a "Save Magic" paypal account where the money could be sent. When we get 30 interested people, paypal me the cash & I write a check to the mountain.

So similar to what you guys are doing with the t-shirts and the wine venture? Assuming that since Magic isn't a non-profit that $100 "donation" isn't deductible on the taxes? If that were the case I could also get my company to match, but thinking that's probably not doable.

I wonder if we could get 30 people here to do it??

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
Another update to non-shareholders. If you want to recieve these updates email the mountain to be put on the mailing lift. info@magicmtn.com

April 23, 2010

Dear Friends of Magic:

As we move forward from the 2009-10 season and look to the future, I would like to take this opportunity to update you all as to the results of this past season as well as our plans for the upcoming months and next season. We are coming off of our most successful season thus far in my four year tenure here. Skier visits increased to 19,000 from the previous two seasons of 16,500. This increase is primarily attributable to budget management (not unlike a high wire act) which permitted us to make snow in early December and get open prior to the December holiday week. In addition, I would be remiss not to cite the exceptional efforts of a few dedicated staff members who performed the tasks of many for endless hours throughout the season. The focus on increased snowmaking throughout January enabled us to survive the extreme rainstorm/thaw at the end of the month, and in late February, after much patience and perseverance, we were finally blessed with a major storm which provided some of the more legendary Magic days in the last decade. The February snow falls set up the mountain nicely for a successful March, and we remained open until April 3. I want to thank you all for your patronage during 2009-10 and am hopeful that you will return often next season to enjoy the skiing, riding, and atmosphere at this great mountain. On that front, I want to advise that our pursuit of success at Magic will continue, and we will be open next season. We will continue to work on the snowmaking this summer and perform the extensive required annual maintenance on the lifts with the goal of increasing the terrain on which we can make snow, maintaining the reliability of the Red Chair, and bringing the Black Chair back on line.

With respect to The Magic Partnership, the share sales currently stand at 174, and we cannot use the capital raised from share sales until we hit the threshold of 300 shares sold. As stated in prior correspondences, every share is important and moves us closer to our goal, so if you are inclined to support the mountain and have the wherewithal to do so, please visit our site, www.magicmtn.com, print out the offering documents, and send them in to become a member of the Magic Partnership. There now exists the opportunity to purchase a share via a three year payment plan, and I am hopeful that this will substantially increase the number of you who are able to participate in The Partnership. Even though we enjoyed relative success this past season, there is much work to do to stabilize and assure the future existence of Magic. In short, the mountain is still in need of a significant influx of capital which will be provided by the Partnership funds if we reach the initial goal of 300, so if you have yet to become a member and desire to, please do so now.

In addition to the Partnership, you can support Magic by purchasing passes and tickets and bringing as many friends as possible. Similar to last year, Season passes will go on sale on or about September 1 with discounts provided for those who purchase early. The season pass rates for next season will not increase significantly, as we try to make this mountain affordable for as many people as possible. Additionally, we will be scheduling volunteer days periodically throughout the off season and in particular the fall, and that is another way to take part in the Magic community. Please keep an eye out for those opportunities and join us for some great outdoor activity and camaraderie in Vermont.

I greatly appreciate the spirit and devotion of the Magic faithful and am happy to see that the ranks are growing. Please continue to spread the word about Magic as far and wide as possible. We have made notable progress, and I am sure that together, despite the long road ahead, we can sustain, improve, and perpetuate the Magic experience for years to come.

Thank you all for your support and enthusiasm, and feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Have a wonderful summer, and come to Vermont to enjoy the Green Mountains.

All the best,

Jim Sullivan

President

Magic Mountain

jsullivan@magicmtn.com

802-824-5645

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Very good news. I am still baffled that they only have 19,000 skier days, but there's only one way to go and that is up!
Considering they were only open weekends versus the years prior data, that's actually a pretty significant increase.

AlpineZone group share? 30 people at $100 each?
Like what was done on TGR?

Not a bad idea.