• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mtn will open for 2010-11!

RustyGroomer

Marcski, I have you down for #6 but either misplaced your email address or don't have it. Check you inbox. Thanks!

So excited to get this done.

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
Nick, much appreciated! Let us know when you want to come and we will give you the tour.

I think we start the new thread the day Red gets painted. Only 2-3 weeks away. Thoughts?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
do a lottery to determine which one of the 30 people gets the benefit????

Can't believe i totally missed this thread earlier. Could also rotate, lottery each year for benefits.

Anyway, glad to see some donations got in and great support of the local mountains and community :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nick, much appreciated! Let us know when you want to come and we will give you the tour.

I think we start the new thread the day Red gets painted. Only 2-3 weeks away. Thoughts?

yeah, that sounds good -- maybe even a late summertime trip in the cards. I'll be away for a chunk of July but August timeframe?

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
There are only 24 red chairs left for sponsorships so if you want one please contact save magic. If you requested one and want to check that you have it please feel free to contact as well.

jrmagic

Latest Update from Jim Sullivan

June 20, 2011

Dear Current and Former Pass Holders:

Happy summer! I want to take a brief moment as the summer hits its stride to say hello, to provide you all with a Magic status report, and to recruit new shareholders.

Getting Close To 300 Shares

The ranks of Partnership shareholders are steadily increasing. We are in need of about 60 more in order to hit the threshold of 300, and I am reaching out to the pass holders in an attempt to put this effort over the finish line. If you have the financial wherewithal, I urge you to consider joining the cause by purchasing a share. You can do so in a lump sum or by making payments over three years. I have recently updated all of the financials to reflect the performance of the mountain the past two seasons, and these figures can be found on the Partnership page of the web-site, http://www.magicmtn.com, as of July 1st. I encourage you all to take a look at the updated financials and welcome any questions anyone may have. I am pleased that these figures show a continued upward trajectory with respect to revenues, and as the financials reflect, we are putting any money generated by the mountain back into it and as a result continue to knock items off of the “punch list” before the Partnership is even in place. We need to sustain and accelerate the growth we have realized thus far, and I am confident in stating that the deployment of the Partnership funding will enable us to do so.

However, we need to hit our mark of 300 shares before we can deploy the funds. So, once again, please consider joining the growing number of Magic faithful who are shareholders inThe Partnership so that we can perpetuate and improve the mountain we all love.

Summer Projects

Here at the mountain our rigorous summer projects have been under way for several weeks and we are progressing nicely. As was the case last year, the primary focus is repairing/replacing snowmaking pipes, hydrants, and valves as part of our ongoing effort to stabilize and expand the snowmaking system. In addition we will be performing the extensive annual maintenance on the lifts and this summer/fall we will also be load testing both the Red and Black chairs in conjunction with and under the guidance of the State lift inspector. Mountain mowing and glade expansion is another important task which occupies many people including the great volunteers who show up every fall on designated volunteer days with tools in hand to improve and expand the best glade skiing in Southern Vermont, (more on that later).

The Red Chair Painting Project

Speaking of collaborative efforts, an additional project this summer involves the painting of the Red Chair. The towers were done a few years ago, but the chairs on our faithful work horse need some sprucing up. However, the process is expensive and not really provided for in our budget. In stepped Greg Williams and Dave DeMatteis, the founders of savemagicvt.com, and in conjunction with their enthusiastic cohorts they offered to fundraise for the project. I am pleased to state that their efforts have been successful and as a result between 75% and 100% of the costs for professionally painting the Red Chair will be raised through the donations. I thank Greg and Dave for their extraordinary efforts, and I thank all of you who have sent in checks for this project. This is another wonderful example of the Magic community coming together in support of the mountain. It is a process illustrative of what we are attempting to do on a larger scale with the Partnership, and, similar to the Red Chair painting, I believe that the devotion of the Magic faithful will shine through and together we will put The Partnership project over the finish line.

Summer/Fall Events

Despite our focus on repairs and maintenance we do have a couple of scheduled events that are purely social and fun. First, on Friday July 1st Magic will again be hosting the Town of Londonderry fireworks show and in association therewith, the bar will be open and there will be live music and a grill serving up summer favorites. This is a well attended event so come early for a BBQ and an evening of entertainment and good friends. Secondly, The Butties, the famous Beatles cover band, will once again be returning to Magic on Saturday July 16th. These former college band mates have perfected the art of Beatles tributes and are always enthusiastically received when they return to southern VT. We are lucky to have the opportunity to host them, so come see a great show on Saturday July 16th.

Our other off season “social” activity revolves around the volunteer days which were a big hit last season and a great help. The volunteer days take place in the late summer/fall on 4 or 5 Saturdays in September and October. These days provide a great opportunity to spend a day on the hill with fellow Magic faithful and help us prepare the mountain for the upcoming season. The focus is on clearing glades and reclaiming trails. It’s a lot of fun, and we always provide food and beverages at the end of each session. Last year I was struck by the enthusiasm and camaraderie at the work days and guarantee that everyone who comes up will enjoy themselves.

In closing, thank you all for your ongoing support of Magic Mountain. This is a unique and special place on many levels, but in particular because of the passion of the people who ski and ride here. For those of you who in the past several weeks have already discussed with me the idea of purchasing shares, or those who have simply been contemplating the concept, please consider doing so now so that we can commence the Partnership era and expedite the mountain improvements.

Have a wonderful summer, and if you find yourself around Londonderry, please stop by and enjoy the mountain. As always, please call or e-mail me with any questions you may have.

All the best,

Jim Sullivan

President

farlep99

Volunteer days are great up there. Fun hanging on the mountain for the day, get a nice hike around, camp out, free beer! Even if you've never been before hit up a volunteer day. They're good fun & a good way to get to know the mountain.