Northborough RAL (ride at lunch)

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Northborough RAL (ride at lunch)

Finally got out and found some trails and tested out Jeffs bike.

The trail is called the Stirrup Brook Trail and starts in the HS parking lot that's a 2 minute ride from my house. Nice twisty single track, nothing really technical, but has a decent flow with lots of up and downs, a few hairpin turns, and rock walls. It doesn't get much use as the trail was covered in pine needles and pine cones. I kept my speed down because it was pretty slippery and well I'm out of shape. I've been doing a lot of running lately, but it's just not the same.

The bike. Really my first ride on a FS. The frame feels pretty good to me. I might slide the seat back a little. A couple things I had trouble with. Maybe it's the disc brakes, but I felt I got a little too forward on the front tire in a few spots. See if I can stiffen up the front fork and get the seat back. I hit the cranks a little more than usual, I think I just need to get used to the rear suspension and when it rebounds. The bottom bracket has an inch more of clearance and the cranks are the same length. More riding is needed, but I felt pretty comfortable on it fit wise.

The HS has a pretty cool obstacle course. Rope ladders, zip lines, tire swings, balance boards, and other random stuff to climb over and through:

Some randomness:

You can see all the pine cones on the trail here. the trail actually runs to the right of the tree and then cuts left over to the rock wall.

Hope to do some more exploring at least once a week from here on out.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Nice!

Did you set the correct sag on the front and rear before heading out? Having it dialed in will make a big difference in how it performs.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Nice!

Did you set the correct sag on the front and rear before heading out? Having it dialed in will make a big difference in how it performs.
    Yeah, I have no idea how to do that. Jeff didn't give me any manuals ..

I'll have to see if I can download them.

Is it a coil or air rear shock? You will be SOL without a shock pump if it's air. Same with the fork.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Thanks for the pics by the way, looks like fun.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

I just added a few more psi to the fork and shock since he is a few lbs heavier than me, I think. I have all the manuels and set up guide for it. You'll need to get a shock pump since I only have one

I'll get a shock pump, anything in particular I should look for?

Also, can I use different shifters with the sram derailleurs? Those are poorly designed IMHO.

This is what I have, but any will do the trick
    http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Shock-G.../dp/B00165Q912

You either like the sram type shifters or you don't. I don't think you can switch the shifters to a different brand/style, maybe someone smarter will chime in.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

You're stuck with the sram shifters unless you change out the rear derailleur too. Sram rear derailleurs are not compatible with Shimano shifters (the only other choice in trigger shifters). You could switch to sram grip shifts, which some people swear by, if you wanted to.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    You're stuck with the sram shifters unless you change out the rear derailleur too. Sram rear derailleurs are not compatible with Shimano shifters (the only other choice in trigger shifters). You could switch to sram grip shifts, which some people swear by, if you wanted to.
    Grip shifters are worse. I'll just get used to these.

Thread Information