• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Movie Blockbusters

drjeff

I just watched the glorified promo for it last night on the national geographic channel during their ultimate factories show where last nights new episode was about the Audi factory where they make the RS8 which is heavily featured in Ironman 2

Geoff

I rarely go to the movie theater. I suppose if I had easy access to a theater with stadium seating or that served food & alcohol, I'd be more prone to do it.

I'm more interested in seeing what new DVD titles are coming out. I look at VideoETA and cross reference on IMDB. I pretty much never look at what's new in the theaters.

WakeboardMom

I rarely go to the movie theater. I suppose if I had easy access to a theater with stadium seating or that served food & alcohol, I'd be more prone to do it.

I'm more interested in seeing what new DVD titles are coming out. I look at VideoETA and cross reference on IMDB. I pretty much never look at what's new in the theaters.

That's me, too. We have probably better access than you do, but it's just not something we devote money or time to doing. DVD's are a better option for us, although we do occasionally hit Chunky's for the food/beer/movie combo.

SkiDork

I just watched the glorified promo for it last night on the national geographic channel during their ultimate factories show where last nights new episode was about the Audi factory where they make the RS8 which is heavily featured in Ironman 2

That was a sweet show. I especially like when they showed how ALCOA made the aluminum. And bench testing the engines up to 8700 RPM with the red hot exhaust manifold...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That's me, too. We have probably better access than you do, but it's just not something we devote money or time to doing. DVD's are a better option for us, although we do occasionally hit Chunky's for the food/beer/movie combo.

Since it costs about the same for 2 of us to go to the movies as it does to buy the DVD (and if it's good, we're likely to buy the DVD), we rarely go to the movies, too. Hard to justify the $ that way. Then again, it could also be the shortage of free babysitting that goes along with it... ;)

I am looking forward to Sex & the City 2. :D

SKIQUATTRO

not a big fan of the theatres...rather sit in my own home with a bottle of wine and a better sounding sound system and dont have to worry about someone yapping on their phone or crunching popcorn....

WakeboardMom

not a big fan of the theatres...rather sit in my own home with a bottle of wine and a better sounding sound system and dont have to worry about someone yapping on their phone or crunching popcorn....

I forgot about that part of it...yeah...thank you. If someone's being rude or talking they can be told to "pipe down!" (I'm usually on the receiving end!) Also, if you don't catch a line, you can back it up. : - )

Since it costs about the same for 2 of us to go to the movies as it does to buy the DVD (and if it's good, we're likely to buy the DVD), we rarely go to the movies, too.

Netflix is not a bad deal if you think you'll only watch a movie once.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Netflix is a great deal even if you plan to watch a movie more than once. At something like $18/month for 3/time, if you watch 6 movies per month (low estimate) then it is like $3 per movie. You could Netflix the same movie 4-6 times before it hit the cost of a DVD.

Some might say the convenience factor is an issue. But everything is going on demand "Watch Instantly" in Netflix terms. Not quite there yet with the selection... but within a few years, I suspect you'll be able to watch all but the hottest DVD releases pretty soon after release on demand.

Any ways, we only go to the movie as a Dinner/Movie combo date night type deal. Our local theatre serves food so we'll do that on a rainy and dreary weekend to get out of the house. S will probably want to see Ironman 2. Not sure what else is coming out this summer. I am not much of a "blockbuster" type guy. Seems like good movies are getting rarer and rarer as Hollywood pumps out the formula movies, sequels, romantic comedies (cheap!), and action (CGI is the lead character), etc. Even most indie flicks are crap these days. Meh. The state of film right now has me depressed. Thank goodness for Netflix and the search to find good movies that I missed.

Philpug

Ironman 2

I will go see the big blockbusters in the theater as long as I can get a good seat in the center. While i have a pretty good projection system at home I sitll enjoy the theaters.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I really like Redbox for that. $1/night rentals plus there are often free rental codes. But I will probably go back to Netflix for the summer; I really enjoy having access to their streaming movies, even though our internet connections is pretty slow for it.

ctenidae

This thread reminded me to cancel our Blockbuster subscription. Netfilx is by far better, primarily because of the Watch Instantly feature. Not going back to them, either, though- our last Blockbuster movies sat on the kitchen counter for 3 weeks before we even remembered they were there.

Back on topic, Ironman 2 will be a good "when the wife falls asleep on the couch" movie, but it's highly unlikely we'll go see anythign in the theater this summer. We did go see Avatar, and and both of us left wondering why we ever bother going to a theater. Just not worth the hassle.

Warp Daddy

Just back from seeing Robin Hood --AWESOME flick , great scenery action and acting held our interest for the entire flick --- done by Ridley Scott w/ Russell Crowe almost similar in style to Gladiator in a way .

i could watch this puppy again it was that good

skibum9995

Just back from seeing Robin Hood --AWESOME flick , great scenery action and acting held our interest for the entire flick --- done by Ridley Scott w/ Russell Crowe almost similar in style to Gladiator in a way .

i could watch this puppy again it was that good
Saw it last night and agree completely.

BackLoafRiver

Saw Iron Man 2 this weekend. I liked it a lot. Thought the story line was good and really appreciated the "nerd" references they threw in. My girlfriend didn't understand why I laughed a few times.

Looking forward to Robin Hood if the weather is crappy. Any see Nightmare on Elm Street? I thought that looked pretty good.

gmcunni

wife took daughter and 2 friends to the 12:01 AM showing of the new Twilight movie, Eclipse, on opening day. It was packed, showing in 4 theaters at the same time. Am told it was the best of the 3 Twilight movies.

heading to the Last Airbender - 3D movie with the kids tonight.