• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Clipless pedal suggestions/opinions

bvibert

Staff member
The delayed delivery option on any of the deal of the moment sites hasn't "paid off" (for lack of a better term) for me yet. No harm in trying though.

It's worked for me a few times now. I was able to get some smaller items that I wouldn't have normally picked up due to the shipping costs, like bike gloves and socks.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've been tempted by those too. Let us know how you like them...

Looks like a nice shoe. I love the delayed delivery option, it's not good on my wallet though...

I finally got everything together. Clipless is a little weird. Not bad, just weird. Down the driveway I almost took out the car. That was before I realized that I don't need to clip in until I'm actually moving...It's exactly like stepping into a ski binding. Clipping in/out of the left pedal is flawless, the right I'm struggling with and I don't know why. I'm going to look and see how the cleat is centered. I don't want to fall while clipped in. :dunce:

The shoes are f'n comfortable man. Wow, big surprise there and my Aline's fit them perfectly. They are so lightweight as well. When walking it feels like my heel is going to slip out, but it won't. On the bike it's not an issue. I like that it has a lot of adjustments in the velcro and buckle.

If you're in the market for either and they come up on CL again, I wouldn't hesitate.

o3jeff

the right I'm struggling with and I don't know why. I'm going to look and see how the cleat is centered. I don't want to fall while clipped in. :dunce:

Make sure around the cleat is clear. My fist pair of shoes that style I had to trim off some of a lug on the sole that was hindering clipping in and out.

wa-loaf

Make sure around the cleat is clear. My fist pair of shoes that style I had to trim off some of a lug on the sole that was hindering clipping in and out.

And play around with how you have them toed in.

powbmps

Bumping an old thread

Took my first ride clipless ride today. I think I'm converted.

Wasn't sure if I would like it or not so I went with an inexpensive combo from nashbar.com. I don't know where their stuff is made, but they have their own brand (as well as all other brands). Went with the multi-purpose shoe for $40 and the mtb pedal for $30. Very impressed with the performance/comfort/quality of both items.

Yay.

WoodCore

Took my first ride clipless ride today. I think I'm converted.

Wasn't sure if I would like it or not so I went with an inexpensive combo from nashbar.com. I don't know where their stuff is made, but they have their own brand (as well as all other brands). Went with the multi-purpose shoe for $40 and the mtb pedal for $30. Very impressed with the performance/comfort/quality of both items.

Yay.

Nice!! I jumped right into the clipless riding last year and haven't looked back. I actually feel naked on the bike when I'm not clipped in these days....

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
So, nobody likes the crank bros stuff?

I do. I've got these on my road bike:

PD8517.jpg

And these on my mountain bike:

b641d5bf-8ac7-4513-b6c6-3935fcddfad3.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
New pedals might be my next gear envy upgrade on my road bike. My pedals are on the extremely cheap and lower end of the spectrum. Group rides have increased my gear envy in this category. Part of it is just lack of skill, but I definitely take waaaaaaay longer than most riders trying to click my second foot in once I push off and start moving.

bvibert

Staff member
My next pair of clipless pedals may just have some sort of platform around them. Sometimes I get some weird pressure points on my foot after hammering it for a while. My shoes are relatively soft (the stiffer shoes I've tried on weren't wide enough for my foot), so I wonder if having more pedal beneath my foot would help out??

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
My next pair of clipless pedals may just have some sort of platform around them. Sometimes I get some weird pressure points on my foot after hammering it for a while. My shoes are relatively soft (the stiffer shoes I've tried on weren't wide enough for my foot), so I wonder if having more pedal beneath my foot would help out??

I recently purchased (more like invested) in a pair of Sidi road shoes. They are wonderful and worth every penny. When my mountain bike shoes (shimano 75M, i think) are done, I'll do the same and buy Sidi again. The soles are super stiff, very comfortable, they come in a Mega width for increased room in the toe box..etc. etc.

I ride with Speedplay X2 on the road bike: (These are awesome.....!! freefloat upto 25 degrees I think, very comfortable, extremely durable and small...with a larger cleat which I feel dissipates pressure points better than smaller ones. So good, when the time comes, I'll look at the frog's which are speedplay's mountain pedal, which I've heard good things about!).
SP-X2-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

and, I ride with regular Shimano SPD's on the mountain.

wa-loaf

I ride with Speedplay X2 on the road bike: (These are awesome.....!! freefloat upto 25 degrees I think, very comfortable, extremely durable and small...with a larger cleat which I feel dissipates pressure points better than smaller ones. So good, when the time comes, I'll look at the frog's which are speedplay's mountain pedal, which I've heard good things about!).
SP-X2-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

and, I ride with regular Shimano SPD's on the mountain.

My brother who's strictly a roadie has been on the speedplays for years and loves them.

BackLoafRiver

Just picked up the SPD 540's. Wanted the XT's but they were significantly more expensive. Had a killer ride on them tonight!!