• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yuck - Bugs! Eye Protection?

Rambo

Went road biking today did about 60 miles. Was sunny, so had sunglasses on for most of the day. After 5:00 PM took off the sun glasses and about 8 different times, I could see these bugs coming in straight at my eye... So I shut my eye each time and the freakin bugs bounced off my closed eyelid each time. I definately don't want some freakin bug, pounding into my open eyeball!

So I guess, I'm going to get a pair of clear safety glasses to wear for the next ride. I guess it's like motorcylist need to wear eye protection because of freakin bugs.

Just wondering if bugs hitting the face, eyes are an issue with some of you and what you wear for eye protection?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Even mountain biking I've had that problem. Yes, clear safety glasses if it's not sunny and sunglasses if it is. I forgot both one time last week and had a most unpleasant ride.

drjeff

From Nashbar last year I picked up a cheap (less than $20) pair of their glasses with their photochromatic lense that has some slight tint lightening/darkening based on the amount of light. They work decently on twilight rides where I go in/out of the woods. Wouldn't exactly want to use them at high noon on a bluebird day though - but then again my blue eyes in generally prefer really dark sun glasses/goggles in bright light conditions

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Another thought? At one time, I had a pair of sunglasses from SAC (or one of the related sites) that had interchangeable lenses. One set of lenses was yellow, another clear, and then the tinted sunglasses. Those were great for rides... too bad I lost the glasses.

wa-loaf

Another thought? At one time, I had a pair of sunglasses from SAC (or one of the related sites) that had interchangeable lenses. One set of lenses was yellow, another clear, and then the tinted sunglasses. Those were great for rides... too bad I lost the glasses.

This. Smith makes a few and I have some for skiing.

mondeo

In general, I figure if it's too dark out for sunglasses, I don't want to be on the road. I'm usually good up to half an hour before sunset - maybe just lighter shades?

WoodCore

This. Smith makes a few and I have some for skiing.

Have a pair of Smith sliders. Love em'. They came with 4 sets of lenses: rose, clear, yellow, and grey/mirror. In fact had them on today while out riding.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
From Nashbar last year I picked up a cheap (less than $20) pair of their glasses with their photochromatic lense that has some slight tint lightening/darkening based on the amount of light. They work decently on twilight rides where I go in/out of the woods. Wouldn't exactly want to use them at high noon on a bluebird day though - but then again my blue eyes in generally prefer really dark sun glasses/goggles in bright light conditions

+1 I love the photochromatic lenses. And, just as the good Dr. said, when riding mid-day on a blue-bird day, I'll wear a darker pair of sunglasses.

RENO

SKIQUATTRO

i carry my oakleys with a darker tint and an extra yellow lens i can swap out