• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush 3D Topo

J

jlangdale

I've started working on my 3D terrain for Sugarbush for my DVD project. I have the DEM, topo, roads and started plotting out the trails. Going to be spiffy when I get my handheld GPS and I can download my tracks.

Currently trying to figure out how I might render a large forest w/o eating up too much memory. The Lightwave plugin I found isn't working. Check it out.

http://www.assemblance.net/gallery/sugarbush
comp2.sized.jpg

comp1.sized.jpg

final.thumb.jpg
greenmountain_elevation.thumb.jpg
sugarbush_3dview.thumb.jpg

Greg

Staff member
That is cool. What software is that?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Very cool. Do you start by just slapping the aerial as a texture onto a tin?

This is much like what DeLorme's Topo USA will do ... it can use its dtm information to render a 3-d view of its maps, but you can also have it use satellite imagery instead ... it just drops the image onto the terrain and you get neat results.

J

jlangdale

I converted USGS STDM DEM 30k elevation data into DXF polygons and imported the 3d DXF data into Lightwave Modeler. I then generated a color gradiant based on elevation. I also generated my own topo lines using the elevation data in the DEM so it would match. I then downloaded USGS DRG roads and overlayed them.

I've got some satellite aerial images very detailed I'm trying to tile together for a more realistic overlay as opposed to the topo/gradiant. I'll post a pic something later.

Basically, my DVD is going to fly through Sugarbush, Stowe and Killington highlighting the trails. You'll then select the trail using the DVD interface or your mouse and see actual video or stills.

Another cool thing is I can track the trail's actual elevation gradiant over the course of the run showing the vertical acceleration, animate it and match the vertical scale to an animated indicator on the 3d contour. It should look cool, I'm going to attempt actual animation of a skier or boarding at realistic speeds whilst determining vertical decent rates, etc.

I'm hoping to make use of a GPS track to animate one's sking for the day linked to any stills or video taken at waypoints or over the course of a run. Imagine watching a video of a run on one side, whilst the 3d overhead view and location indicator tracking the video. Or, alternatively being able to see where you skied for that day and any trails or woods you missed. Then beable to create new waypoints and tracks for the next day. Sort of like those new GPS races where you don't know where you going, except you're designing the race.

Joshua B

Jon, you work for Sugarbush right? At first guess I would assume they commissioned you for this work, but since Stowe is going to be included in the DVD, that is doubtful. I'm curious as to who will be able to get their hands on this? If I'm one of those people, I'd ask if you could add Mad River Glen to the Sugarbush portion. If this is too forward, then please ignore my digging.

J

jlangdale

Joshua B said:
Jon, you work for Sugarbush right? At first guess I would assume they commissioned you for this work, but since Stowe is going to be included in the DVD, that is doubtful. I'm curious as to who will be able to get their hands on this? If I'm one of those people, I'd ask if you could add Mad River Glen to the Sugarbush portion. If this is too forward, then please ignore my digging.

I only work for a company sub-contracted to do photography at Sugarbush on the weekends. I'm a software engineer during the week full-time. This is my own project. I'm hoping this will work well and turn into something I can do at other resorts or parks andcompile them on DVD as a 3D mountain interactive guidebook.

I will include Mad River too, it's right next door. I should have the aerial done soon to include North, South and MRG on the same 3D.

I'm still trying to figure a good way to render a good forrest. I may have to try Bryce, although I don't know if exporting that many tree polys will work to Lightwave. Wait till you see the fly-through animations with the fog/sunsets, pretty spiff.

Owe, and I'm still looking for actors/actresses or a host for my on-mountain video. Would be nice to keep it uniform, but locals might be cool too. Just harder to get them.

Oh yea, and if I actually complete this project and it looks good I'm hoping to sell it for $$$ to tourists in the Valley. Maybe take orders online.

J

jlangdale

jlangdale said:
Another cool thing is I can track the trail's actual elevation gradiant over the course of the run showing the vertical acceleration, animate it and match the vertical scale to an animated indicator on the 3d contour. It should look cool, I'm going to attempt actual animation of a skier or boarding at realistic speeds whilst determining vertical decent rates, etc.

Another dorky idea I had was to get the data on the lift's and their passenger rates to simulate crowds using animated skiers/boarders going down well traveled/random runs at an actual range of speeds. Sort of like a sim-ski-city. But I'm thinking this is over-doing it. Still would be neat to see crowds and little people zooming around the mountains during the animation.

Greg

Staff member
This has entered major geek-dom. :blink:

Too cool. Keep us posted! 8)

Joshua B

Sounds like the software WETA designed for the Lord of the Rings battle sequences where individuals were programmed with a certain fighting style, hearing range, and vision range. When positioned within range of an enemy, they would turn toward the enemy and fight. Maybe your characters, if placed on snow, could be programmed to ski down!

J

jlangdale

No joke, I can acutally do this by assigning them to a trail path/track and having them go down at some random varance from the path, going back and forth in their own way. But you would have to assign them to a set of trails. Tree avoidance would be insane to figure out. Interesting though, might be cool to try animating a tree skier in woods and see what it does.