• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite (best) Ski Day - Overall and conditions

jimme

Thought I'd try and inject an upbeat subject. I'm happy to say I had to think about this one. At least the best conditions day. I've had several and it's hard to pin it down to one. What days stand out for you?

My best overall day was at Snowbird with some very old friends. Warm bluebird day. I finally acclamated to the elevation and was skiing my arse off. It was the company combined with the resort that brings this day up to the top.

Best conditions day - I gotta say it was at Jiminy Peak. There had been a 4 - 6" dump the night before and since it was a weekday, the place was virtually empty. I got first tracks in Hot Wheels Glades and did several more powder runs there. Powder here, powder there, powder powder everywhere! There were moments that I realized the skiing was better than $xx. I ended the day poaching an unmarked trail.

Jimme

Greg

Staff member
I'm sorry to say that I've never experienced a true epic powder day (say, 12+ inches of champagne, bluebird skies). I've skied a number of ~6 inch powder days at Jiminy, Catamount (Catapult was sweet), Snow (during my early ski years), and Killington which was a surprise as it rained all night but changed over during the early morning. We had first tracks down Superstar.

Probably the best overall ski days have been had because of the company, and not so much the conditions. One from two seasons ago at Loon along with two close friends really stands out.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
my best ski day....

A day at ragged mountain when they had recieved 29 inches of light fluffy snow, yes 29 inches in southern nh, it was enormous. AND there only happened to be 25 people on the mountain all day, regarless to say ski patrol told my brother and I to ski where ever we pleased and we got first tracks on 14 trails a day i will never forget, and it happen in April

I have a high reverance for ragged, needless to say

S

smallberries

My Best Conditions Day was about 30 years ago when I drove from college in Boulder to spend Thanksgiving in Alta. It was just as light and deep as you always hear about. Best of all it was so early in the season!

My Best Overall Day was during a high school trip to Switzerland. We stayed in Interlaken and had been skiing Wengen and Murren all week. Then after a foot of freshies fell we took the funicular to Murren. We cought the first open tram up to the top of the Schilthorn on a spectacular sunny day and layed down some of the first tracks from the summit.

St. Jerry

Many memorable ski days, but one of the most memorable just recently occured. I was staying up in Solitude, Utah (Big Cottonwood Canyon, just the other side of Alta/Snowbird) over Christmas two weeks ago and they closed the road to the canyon as it snowed 5 feet in 2 days. Because of this they only had 2 lifts running, but there were maybe 20 people skiing in total as no one could get up to the mountain. Quite an experience.

cps27