• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Gulf

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You guys have sound counter points. I just think that it could have been any other energy company in this situation, not being able to fix the problem. Perhaps due to "cutting corners" BUT we saw that with the financial sector. Pretty much all the major players got caught doing the same thing because competition elevated the bar and regulation was not in place to prevent new opportunities from not being taken. Soon one company's innovation became standard practice.

It is very much over simplistic to say "look in the mirror." Perhaps a better way of putting it is that drilling or transporting oil in the ocean is not without risk and in a long enough time line, major accidents can be expected. BP is taken theirs now, Exxon took theirs in the past, and another company will take theirs yet in the future. I am not idealistic to suggest we need to lay off the oil but I do insist that we not over simply matters by putting everything on BP shoulders'. There is more to the problem from a systematic perspective. They might even deserve the majority of the blame.... but systematically, that perspective is just too oversimplified.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I don't even really like to point fingers at the regulators. Sure tougher regulations could have been in place, but BP shouldn't have to be told what's the right way to operate.
When the "right" way is more expensive - yes, they indeed need to be told. Oil exploration is done for profit. If the success rate of going with "Method A" is 99.7% versus "Method B" at 99.9% but with a 15% cost premium - you roll the dice. ANY for-profit corporation would. A lot of hindsight talk has centered around using a liner inside the casing to prevent blow-out. But the decision to use the more expensive liner is left to the driller. You cannot expect business to act in the best interests of the public or the environment - this is why we have contaminated factory sites and polluted rivers across this nation.

So yes, blame the watch-dog as well.

Personally, I'm growing downright upset at Obama's preaching of "the public will not bear any of the cleanup costs" while this well continues to gush. SPEND SOME MONEY ALREADY and worry about cost recovery later. We can authorize a BILLION dollar bailout for the financial sector and bailout the auto industry - all costs to be paid "down the road" - but you can't do the same for this???? I just wish he was so quick to offer financial support to this operation instead of using this as the only time during his Presidency to be stingy with MY money.

wa-loaf

Personally, I'm growing downright upset at Obama's preaching of "the public will not bear any of the cleanup costs" while this well continues to gush. SPEND SOME MONEY ALREADY and worry about cost recovery later. We can authorize a BILLION dollar bailout for the financial sector and bailout the auto industry - all costs to be paid "down the road" - but you can't do the same for this???? I just wish he was so quick to offer financial support to this operation instead of using this as the only time during his Presidency to be stingy with MY money.

This. The Coast Guard, not BP should be in charge of the clean-up. Let BP deal with the well itself. We should be commandeering all available BP boats for the clean-up and putting them under the command of the CG. Send the bill to BP later.

Puck it

The moratorium that was placed on drilling even for six months is going to kill the economy even more down there. Do these politicians think about repercussions?

dmc

The moratorium that was placed on drilling even for six months is going to kill the economy even more down there. Do these politicians think about repercussions?

I guess not... Cause the gulf is filled with oil...

the repercussion of failed policy and allowing oil companies to do as they please...

Puck it

I guess not... Cause the gulf is filled with oil...

the repercussion of failed policy and allowing oil companies to do as they please...

It just burns my arse that they will use this for political gains. Clean up the mess, stop the leak, and try to prevent it from happening again by analyzing data. Do not put moratoriums on something that will not be fixed in 6 months. Get over yourselves and do the right thing for the area.

BTW - You are not suppose to be speaking to me. You do not like me.

dmc

It just burns my arse that they will use this for political gains. Clean up the mess, stop the leak, and try to prevent it from happening again by analyzing data. Do not put moratoriums on something that will not be fixed in 6 months. Get over yourselves and do the right thing for the area.

BTW - You are not suppose to be speaking to me. You do not like me.

I don't like you... But I have to respond to your comments when I believe you are wrong which you are.

Who's economy are you talkng about? the local economy? Or the oil economy?

Cause that oil is f'ing up lots of peoples lives that depend on this wonderful natural resource called the Gulf of MExico...

But I would expect you to side with the oil companies.. And thats a lot of the reason I do not like you.

Geoff

I'll say it again:

I think the US should just import oil from the A-Rabs (and our usual sources like Canada, Mexico, ....). Once we pump them dry, they will have no money and will cease to be of any consequence to the world. A side effect is that we don't cause environmental damage to the US coastline.

Puck it

I don't like you... But I have to respond to your comments when I believe you are wrong which you are.

Who's economy are you talkng about? the local economy? Or the oil economy?

Cause that oil is f'ing up lots of peoples lives that depend on this wonderful natural resource called the Gulf of MExico...

But I would expect you to side with the oil companies.. And thats a lot of the reason I do not like you.

You can not dislike somebody when you do not even know them.

Back to topic

I meant the local economy. Not really the oil companies but the other businesses that support the oil drilling. Roughnecks. Tug boats. Supply ships. Welding companies. Yes, the tourism and fishing economies are being destroyed, but you also want to take down the other part of the economy too.

BTW - How are you getting to the Phish concert? I hope you are walking or riding your bike.

dmc

You can not dislike somebody when you do not even know them.

Back to topic

I meant the local economy. Not really the oil companies but the other businesses that support the oil drilling. Roughnecks. Tug boats. Supply ships. Welding companies. Yes, the tourism and fishing economies are being destroyed, but you also want to take down the other part of the economy too.

BTW - How are you getting to the Phish concert? I hope you are walking or riding your bike.

I don't want to take down anything - I want to make sure that our precious resource is not destroyed to fill the pockets of the oil companies...

Yeah I use oil... And I'm willing to pay more for more responsible drilling..

And yes - I've never met you - and I still do not like you and what you stand for...

I've said what I need to say - so don't expect a response...

dmc

I'll say it again:

I think the US should just import oil from the A-Rabs (and our usual sources like Canada, Mexico, ....). Once we pump them dry, they will have no money and will cease to be of any consequence to the world. A side effect is that we don't cause environmental damage to the US coastline.

Interesting....

Puck it

I don't want to take down anything - I want to make sure that our precious resource is not destroyed to fill the pockets of the oil companies...

Yeah I use oil... And I'm willing to pay more for more responsible drilling..

And yes - I've never met you - and I still do not like you and what you stand for...

I've said what I need to say - so don't expect a response...

I do not want the oil companies pockets full either but the cost per unit of energy is still the cheapest thing out there. Only nukes can touch it. We need the oil and we need to go to more etremes to get it as we use. Increased cost in oil does work either then other industries suffer. That is not sound reasoning.

BTW - You have no idea what I stand for or who I am. So drop the crap

Edd

Watched a bit of the hearings today. It was interesting to watch the CEO of an oil company get spoken down to....such a reversal of fortune for a guy used to living at the top of the food chain. I'm sure he"ll put all this behind him soon enough.

dmc

Watched a bit of the hearings today. It was interesting to watch the CEO of an oil company get spoken down to....such a reversal of fortune for a guy used to living at the top of the food chain. I'm sure he"ll put all this behind him soon enough.

Yeah... But it's nice to see him squirm...

I heard one Congressman actually apologized for the $20,000,000,000 escrow for the victims... Funny... he's an oil guy...

JimG.

Staff member

That tool is the poster boy for executive arrogance.

Hope he enjoys his 15 minutes of infamy because he will be out of a job when BP declares bankruptcy.

And after his pathetic performance in reaction to this crisis, he will never get a job like this again.

Puck it

Hope he enjoys his 15 minutes of infamy because he will be out of a job when BP declares bankruptcy.

And after his pathetic performance in reaction to this crisis, he will never get a job like this again.

I hope you all realize that BP is a major refiner. The US has not built a new refinery in the last thirty years. BP collaspe will be felt. I am not condoning the arrogance or greed of the oil companies but we need oil right now since there is no alternative.

dmc

What amazes me is is total lack of knowledge - or at least his lack of knowledge when getting grilled today.. His candor and smugness made me want to bitch slap him..

He was probably coached out the ass and told he was "out the door" and if he cooperated he'd get a pay off before leaving...

snoseek

Cheap oil is pretty f&ckin expensive if you ask me