• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Riding bicycle on sidewalks

deadheadskier

Staff member
So you think criticizing me (et al) for a manuever that I've clearly explained is done only when necesary for my own safety by elegantly and swiftly introducing a strawman (bad cyclists practicing the tactic when not necessary) was a good idea? Particularly as a moderator? I thought you were smarter than that.

As long as you're throwing out strawmen, and making incorrect inferences about my riding, I'll just go ahead an infer you're one of those road rage prone maniacs clipping my elbow around blind hills and corners as I'm an inch from the curb, with no respect for the fact he's piloting a 1 to 2 ton piece of heavy steel machinery around pedestrians and other vehicles that offer little to no protection. Way to go crazy man. I'm surprised you haven't killed anyone yet.

Isn't bad debating fun?

I think hyper-sensitivity is more fun actually. ;)

I was also more speaking in regards to 'A hole' cyclists out there (which you agreed there are), not 'you' specifically. And if you want to get into 'reading is fundamental' jabs......where in my response which you quoted did I say anything about 'you' as an individual.

I'm sure you're a fine and respectful cyclist. I can assure I am a respectful driver......even towards the a - holes.

Ultimately, I was more busting balls than anything else. But way to take it personally. Relax Marc, you're overeacting.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

I was also more speaking in regards to 'A hole' cyclists out there (which you agreed there are), not 'you' specifically. And if you want to get into 'reading is fundamental' jabs......where in my response which you quoted did I say anything about 'you' as an individual.

I'm sure you're a fine and respectful cyclist. I can assure I am a respectful driver......even towards the a - holes.

Ultimately, I was more busting balls than anything else. But way to take it personally. Relax Marc, you're overeacting.

Why did Greg ever change the color around here? :roll::roll:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Well, you quoted what I posted about taking a lane for safety, and without qualifiers immediately wrote this:

okay, I'm probably going to get bombed here from the biking crew.

To me, this is not 'sharing' the road. [etc.]

Is there any other reasonable way to interperet this post other than you addressing my post (and therefore my actions) directly? When you say "To me, this is..." you must have been referring to something else, and not my post you just quoted? That makes sense.

Are you just drawing attention away from your first bad post by making a second one as ridiculous as the first?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, not the nuke I was expecting, but still a grenade.

I won't turn this into a bike vs car thing. Guess I'm just a tad sensitive to this subject having spent the majority of my adult life in rural areas of VT, OH, WV, MD and NH being stuck behind a-hole road cyclists.

Perhaps I'd have more sympathy if I was a bicylcist myself, but I'm not, so eff em'. :razz:

I thought this clarified that I was referring to A-holes who do clog the lanes when it's unnecessary - not you personally.

Well, you quoted what I posted about taking a lane for safety, and without qualifiers immediately wrote this:

Is there any other reasonable way to interperet this post other than you addressing my post (and therefore my actions) directly? When you say "To me, this is..." you must have been referring to something else, and not my post you just quoted? That makes sense.

Are you just drawing attention away from your first bad post by making a second one as ridiculous as the first?

or are you just drawing attention away from my second quote when I made no mention of 'you', even put in that handy little smilie :razz: and then proceeded to jump down my throat and call me a crazy driver?

You really are over-reacting. I'm sorry you took it personally as me calling you an asshole cyclist. That was not my intent at all.

What more do you want?

deadheadskier

Staff member
If ever in Montreal or Quebec City, get the smoked meat instead of Pastrami........trust me. It's like Pastrami on steroids. Had some last week up there.

Website
maps.google.com
you guys are starting to annoy me with this thread lol

please go into manhattan isle on any weekday that its not raining & u watch the messengers ride then u come back to me lol....

messengerstyle.jpg

wa-loaf

please go into manhattan isle on any weekday that its not raining & u watch the messengers ride then u come back to me lol....

messengerstyle.jpg

If you don't like it don't read it. And Boston's messengers could ride circles around Manhattan's. Our streets are narrower and not straight. Oh and they ride in the rain and snow.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If you don't like it don't read it. And Boston's messengers could ride circles around Manhattan's. Our streets are narrower and not straight. Oh and they ride in the rain and snow.
Not to mention they make no sense. Not logically laid out like NYC's.

bvibert

Staff member
I thought this clarified that I was referring to A-holes who do clog the lanes when it's unnecessary - not you personally.

or are you just drawing attention away from my second quote when I made no mention of 'you', even put in that handy little smilie :razz: and then proceeded to jump down my throat and call me a crazy driver?

You really are over-reacting. I'm sorry you took it personally as me calling you an asshole cyclist. That was not my intent at all.

What more do you want?

I can tell that you've clearly never spent any time on cycling forums. This topic is more heated than most anything that's ever been discussed on AZ. There's nothing more to do than to walk away.. ;)

dmc

Not to mention they make no sense. Not logically laid out like NYC's.

Go to lower Manhattan.. Streets make no sense...

NYC was lucky that someone planned ahead and put down the grid north of the old city.. Before any buildings were even built..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Go to lower Manhattan.. Streets make no sense...

NYC was lucky that someone planned ahead and put down the grid north of the old city.. Before any buildings were even built..

I've pretty much stuck to the area around Grand Central Station; haven't seen that section. What's funny is that when I bring people in with me, though, they seem to think I'm some sort of expert. I just pay attention to the numbers; makes it easy to navigate. :lol: We've walked all the way up to the Empire State Building, down to Central Park, and over to ... I forget which. Theatre district area for a few off-Broadway plays.

On the other hand, my father, who is a route salesman so he drives for a living, got pretty lost in Boston taking me up there to look at Northeastern in high school. I still remember that. :lol: I can't for the life of me remember exactly where we walked when I visited my cousin at Tufts or when we went up there this past Fall for my History class. Navigation just isn't as memorable.

Website
maps.google.com
Notice how I said "in dangerous spots"?

Reading is fundamental.

Who you're describing are assholes. And yes, assholes ride bikes as well as drive cars. Don't turn this into a bike v car thread. There are enough of those idiot contests elsewhere on the web.

PS - in most states it is perfectly legal for a cyclist to take the lane if in his or her judgement would comprimise the cyclists safety to do otherwise.

come bicycle with me little people in my beloved village....i have two chopper bicycles....