• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Riding bicycle on sidewalks

Rambo

I live in New York State and you are not allowed to ride bicycles on sidewalks. However a lot of people do it all the time. If a bicycle rider is involved in any accident (with a pedestrian or vehicle) when they are riding on a sidewalk they are in trouble because they were not supposed to be on the sidewalk in the first place.

However if a bicycle rider feels a certain section of roadway is dangerous, I think they are permitted to ride on a sidewalk to avoid the dangers.

So, with so many drivers illegally driving with cell phones held up to their ear and also people texting, it seems increasingly dangerous riding on the roadways. I used to be concerned with getting hit by a drunk driver, but these distracted cell phone users are dangerous also.

Whenever I do ride down a sidewalk, I am extra cautious, keep the speed way down, and often dismount and walk the bike when approaching pedestrains on the sidewalk.

Website
maps.google.com
I live in New York State and you are not allowed to ride bicycles on sidewalks. However a lot of people do it all the time. If a bicycle rider is involved in any accident (with a pedestrian or vehicle) when they are riding on a sidewalk they are in trouble because they were not supposed to be on the sidewalk in the first place.

However if a bicycle rider feels a certain section of roadway is dangerous, I think they are permitted to ride on a sidewalk to avoid the dangers.

So, with so many drivers illegally driving with cell phones held up to their ear and also people texting, it seems increasingly dangerous riding on the roadways. I used to be concerned with getting hit by a drunk driver, but these distracted cell phone users are dangerous also.

Whenever I do ride down a sidewalk, I am extra cautious, keep the speed way down, and often dismount and walk the bike when approaching pedestrains on the sidewalk.

i have 4 bicycles & ride them on sidewalks all the time in my beloved village in nys:daffy::daffy:

Last edited:
Website
maps.google.com

my father took a class for seniors on driving. the instructor said a distracted driver on a phone or pda device is more dangerous than a drunk driver....i stopped pedaling in the streets in 1992 when i went to inline skates....

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Mmmm... I'd doubt as though an exception would be made for dangerous roadways. You'd certainly be allowed to walk your bike on the sidewalk to bypass dangerous sections of road, but I doubt riding would be kosher, regardless. I don't know the specific wording in New York laws though. I know it's a no-no in Mass, regardless.

In dangerous places I'll often take the whole lane, but whenever I do, I keep a very close eye on my 6, for the reasons you mentioned. I never ride on the sidewalk though.

bvibert

Staff member
Mmmm... I'd doubt as though an exception would be made for dangerous roadways. You'd certainly be allowed to walk your bike on the sidewalk to bypass dangerous sections of road, but I doubt riding would be kosher, regardless. I don't know the specific wording in New York laws though. I know it's a no-no in Mass, regardless.

In dangerous places I'll often take the whole lane, but whenever I do, I keep a very close eye on my 6, for the reasons you mentioned. I never ride on the sidewalk though.

This may be a stupid question, but not being a roadie I don't know. Do you use mirrors on your road bike?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
This may be a stupid question, but not being a roadie I don't know. Do you use mirrors on your road bike?

Some people do, I don't. I would probably consider it if I lived in a more urban setting and had to deal with traffic from behind and parked cars constantly, but with the type of riding I do, I can often afford to look back quickly without getting into trouble.

o3jeff

Do I dare ask what that is?

bvibert

Staff member
Some people do, I don't. I would probably consider it if I lived in a more urban setting and had to deal with traffic from behind and parked cars constantly, but with the type of riding I do, I can often afford to look back quickly without getting into trouble.

I was just wondering since you said you keep a close eye behind you in dangerous spots. Seems like in a dangerous spot constantly turning around to watch your back would make it even more dangerous. But what do I know, I just ride in the woods, occasionally into random trees...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I was just wondering since you said you keep a close eye behind you in dangerous spots. Seems like in a dangerous spot constantly turning around to watch your back would make it even more dangerous. But what do I know, I just ride in the woods, occasionally into random trees...

In dangerous spots I take the whole lane, making them less dangerous. Unless you don't watch behind you. Then they're still dangerous. The idea behind taking the lane is to prevent cars behind you attempting to pass where it's too narrow to do so safely. Usually it's in an area where they're not going to be going all that fast anyway, like approaching a crowded intersection or down a busy main street. If I'm taking the whole lane, it's not that dangerous to check behind me frequently.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
In dangerous spots I take the whole lane, making them less dangerous. Unless you don't watch behind you. Then they're still dangerous. The idea behind taking the lane is to prevent cars behind you attempting to pass where it's too narrow to do so safely. Usually it's in an area where they're not going to be going all that fast anyway, like approaching a crowded intersection or down a busy main street. If I'm taking the whole lane, it's not that dangerous to check behind me frequently.

I agree. It's only normal.... once you're on the road, you're just like any vehicle on the road. There are a few big hills where I take the lane. The area is only a 30 or 35 mph speed limit and there is a pretty big curve at the bottom of the hill and about another 1/4 mile down the road I make a left turn. So, I usually take the lane torwards the top of the hill....as my speeds going down usually approach 35-40 and keep the lane all the way down the hill...and at that point if there is a car behind me I'll single that I'm making the left turn. Oh, when on the road, I also use a clip on mirror ..clips onto the arm of my glasses. I find its great...most of my road riding is on very quiet roads...but there is about a mile or 2 where I'm on more traveled roads. But I find it's great to just be able to glance up slightly and have a whole field of vision behind you. It's not "cool" to use one when you're a racer or stuff....hence Marc's non-use. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah, seems like a mirror would be invaluable in some cases. I'm not very hip though.

wa-loaf

You have to get in and mix it up with the traffic. Be aware of what's going on around you and never assume a driver sees you. I used to ride my bike in and around downtown Boston and Cambridge all the time. Keep your speed up and stay with the flow. It's definitely not a leisurely ride.

deadheadskier

Staff member

okay, I'm probably going to get bombed here from the biking crew.

To me, this is not 'sharing' the road. I'm of the opinion that if a bicylcist is holding up traffic, they should pull over. Mind you, I also feel the same way about cars.

Around me in rural NH, I run into bicyclist on 'back' roads taking up the whole lane in 45 mph zones and often riding side by side in pairs.

I do not feel that cars should be required to slow down to bike speeds in the spirit of 'sharing'.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
okay, I'm probably going to get bombed here from the biking crew.

To me, this is not 'sharing' the road. I'm of the opinion that if a bicylcist is holding up traffic, they should pull over. Mind you, I also feel the same way about cars.

Around me in rural NH, I run into bicyclist on 'back' roads taking up the whole lane in 45 mph zones and often riding side by side in pairs.

I do not feel that cars should be required to slow down to bike speeds in the spirit of 'sharing'.

Notice how I said "in dangerous spots"?

Reading is fundamental.

Who you're describing are assholes. And yes, assholes ride bikes as well as drive cars. Don't turn this into a bike v car thread. There are enough of those idiot contests elsewhere on the web.

PS - in most states it is perfectly legal for a cyclist to take the lane if in his or her judgement would comprimise the cyclists safety to do otherwise.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, not the nuke I was expecting, but still a grenade.

I won't turn this into a bike vs car thing. Guess I'm just a tad sensitive to this subject having spent the majority of my adult life in rural areas of VT, OH, WV, MD and NH being stuck behind a-hole road cyclists.

Perhaps I'd have more sympathy if I was a bicylcist myself, but I'm not, so eff em'. :razz:

bvibert

Staff member

I won't turn this into a bike vs car thing. Guess I'm just a tad sensitive to this subject having spent the majority of my adult life in rural areas of VT, OH, WV, MD and NH being stuck behind a-hole road cyclists.

Perhaps I'd have more sympathy if I was a bicylcist myself, but I'm not, so eff em'. :razz:

Dude, if you've spent the majority of your life being stuck behind a-hole cyclists then you're doing something wrong. ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

So you think criticizing me (et al) for a manuever that I've clearly explained is done only when necesary for my own safety by elegantly and swiftly introducing a strawman (bad cyclists practicing the tactic when not necessary) was a good idea? Particularly as a moderator? I thought you were smarter than that.

As long as you're throwing out strawmen, and making incorrect inferences about my riding, I'll just go ahead an infer you're one of those road rage prone maniacs clipping my elbow around blind hills and corners as I'm an inch from the curb, with no respect for the fact he's piloting a 1 to 2 ton piece of heavy steel machinery around pedestrians and other vehicles that offer little to no protection. Way to go crazy man. I'm surprised you haven't killed anyone yet.

Isn't bad debating fun?

bvibert

Staff member
I hear crickets ...

Sorry, that's just my lunch. Waiting for the chocolate to melt.

chocolatecoveredcrickets1.jpg