• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Come On

S

Scalce

Isn't anyone braving the cold this week to give us a good update?

:D

J

jlangdale

I've been at work :< With sun coming out next few days I think I'm going to have to sneak away during lunch and grab a few runs. It will be an interesting experiment to change into ski gear and back. I may have a report Thursday. I may go night skiing tonight too at Bolton.

Greg

Staff member
It should warm up nicely by Saturday in the Berkshires, probably to like 12 degrees. :lol: I'm going to aim for a half day at Butternut, or possibly Jiminy.

This is unbelievable. Last few weeks, we had rain and warm temps which made for crappy skiing; now it's too cold? What a whacky season!

S

Scalce

Yeah I'm thinking next week might be a better bet.

What's the use of skiing in crappy conditions when it's bitterly cold.

With Okemo having a high of 7 and low of -5 I think I'll save my money for a warmer day when it is fully open for full price.

Crappy skiing is better than no skiing but still.

Plus the Pats are on that night.

ChileMass

The weather channel and Loon's website keep lowering the expected high temp for Saturday - now estimating a high temp of +4*F with gusts to 21 mph and wind chill of -15*F.........I'm at a work "retreat" all day Fri and Sat AM up there, and I'll certainly be ready to hit the slopes after 1.5 days of meetings, but if it's gonna be that cold it could be a "game-time decision".........

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the snow making this week should be insane. i'm hoping for big trail counts by the weekend with all trails except natural only open at lots of areas. shouldn't be anything wrong with the skiing this weekend. coldest day looks like friday last time i checked the weather. grin and bear it folks, this might be it for weeks the way this winter has been going! :oops:

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
alright here is my take on cold weather

you put an extra layer on and a baklava and then you go skiing

it doesnt really bother me at all plus there are like a third of the people on the slopes because everyone is afraid of the cold weather

as long as you dont have any skin exposed you will be fine skiing

jimme

In the past I've stayed in during these cold snaps, but this year it's been so scetchy I'm braving the cold and hitting Jiminy this Friday night. I figured I'd wait until they made a lot of snow.

Last night I was out enjoying the full moon-lit scenery and noticed I didn't feel the cold like I thought I would. So, with a face mask skiing it should be nice.

Jimme

Curious, how will a Greek pastry keep you warm? www.eatgreektonight.com/recipes/desserts/baklava.html

Just kidding! :lol: I did a Google search and that's what came up. :)

Greg

Staff member
jimme said:
I'm braving the cold and hitting Jiminy this Friday night.
Wow. You are brave. Friday night will be about as cold as it's gonna get. Saturday morning probably won't be any better, but at least with the sun it might not seem as bad.

ChileMass

ChileMass said:
The weather channel and Loon's website keep lowering the expected high temp for Saturday - now estimating a high temp of +4*F with gusts to 21 mph and wind chill of -15*F.........I'm at a work "retreat" all day Fri and Sat AM up there, and I'll certainly be ready to hit the slopes after 1.5 days of meetings, but if it's gonna be that cold it could be a "game-time decision".........

Now various online weather services are saying a max of 0*F on Sat afternoon at Loon with 24mph winds, and I'm assuming that's at the base! Hoooo-weeeee!! I may have to stay in the lodge and "tailgate" to get ready for the Pats game instead...........