• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

leather work gloves/skiing

SKIQUATTRO

i see alot of patrollers and guys skiing with leather work gloves...looks like they are warm and can take a beating...been looking but cant find them...any suggestions?

bvibert

Staff member
Kinco's seem to be the most popular, though some guys just use whatever leather work gloves they can find at the hardware store. I got some generic full leather work gloves that I sno-sealed last season for working at Sundown. They worked great and kept my hands warm for a full season of working the lifts. I didn't use them for skiing though. My regular ski gloves have a full leather palm so they've been holding up fine too.

TheBEast

Kinco is by far the best gloves I've ever used. Totally durable and super warm. Who would have thought a sub $25 glove would work so well. Lather them up with some snow seal and you're ready!

We order them up by the dozen at Berkshire East....we've got a good majority of the patrol using them.

Pretty sure you can get them at Amazon too.
These are the ones we've been using the last few years.
http://www.kinco.com/products.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=43&category_id=7

drjeff

I picked up a pair of the Kombi version of those last November as my winter outdoor gloves (snowblowing, shoveling, cold weather football game tailgating, to/from the mountain gloves - just great stuff! Warm, and with the snowseal, dry!

The only thing that kept me from wearing them for skiing, is that for me, I like my ski gloves to be a little longer in the cuff, and for my glove cuff to go over my jacket sleeve cuff (just a personal preference thing)

bvibert

Staff member
The only thing that kept me from wearing them for skiing, is that for me, I like my ski gloves to be a little longer in the cuff, and for my glove cuff to go over my jacket sleeve cuff (just a personal preference thing)

I'm the same way, I like a glove with a gauntlet to cover my jacket sleeve cuff.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm the opposite. I prefer my gloves under my jacket sleeves. I have struggled to find a good no gauntlet glove that fits properly outside of dropping major duckets on say a Hestra glove.

Might have to look into the Kinco glove. I enjoy my Level gloves, but they don't work with my soft shell on warmer days as the sleeves are too narrow on it and the gauntlet not big enough to go over the sleeve.

Don't know why preference is what it is for under the sleeve. The opposite just feels odd, like tucking pants into a pair of work boots.

Warp Daddy

Use Kinco's for my outside winter work snowblowing etc Use full leather Rossi gore tex combo glove for 15 degree and use Spyder full leather w/goretex "lobster claw style" mittens when its mondo cold

These are great have last 3 fingers together but thumb and index finger are independent and have a glove like feel when gripping the ski pole but are super toasty

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Best all-around cold weather work glove I have found: http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/winter/1568/

I have yet to "wear out" a pair - they usually get too nasty inside or too cruddy on the outside before I'm able to wear through the fabric or split the fingers. edit: Oh, and no need to snoseal - the liner between the lining and the leather makes them waterproof.

AirGas welding supply has them (made by Radnor, but exact same glove) for $6 online. Maybe more $$ in store, but not by much. http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=262&product=RAD64057086

These are awesome gloves for working outside in the cold in situations where more dexterity is needed. Insulated and half the price of Mechanix wear (also sold in non-insulated versions):
http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=262&product=TIL1485L

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
http://www.amazon.com/Go-Gloves-Kinco-Ski-M/dp/B0013FE6PQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1288191042&sr=8-1

Yup, looks like they're $21.95 with free shipping and that other site had them for $19.95 + $6.95 shipping

Thanks for the link. I've heard a lot of good things about these gloves, so I just ordered a pair to put through the paces of being a part-time liftie. I used a pair of insulated leather work gloves (with sno-seal) from the hardware store last year that worked out well (the first pair of gloves that I didn't destroy in a season or less) except the lack of cuff allowed snow to get inside which was annoying. I'm going to be interested to see how these compare.