• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Warm Weather Skiing

John84

Gonna be really warm skiing in the DC area this weekend (around 70). I was wondering about any tips you guys might have about skiing in warm weather. I heard somewhere that you shouldn't wear shorts, no matter how hot it gets. Is this true, or does it not make a difference? Any advice would be appreciated.

JimG.

Staff member
John84 said:
Gonna be really warm skiing in the DC area this weekend (around 70). I was wondering about any tips you guys might have about skiing in warm weather. I heard somewhere that you shouldn't wear shorts, no matter how hot it gets. Is this true, or does it not make a difference? Any advice would be appreciated.

I never understood the shorts/tee shirt while skiing thing.

I'm lucky I guess...I know some folks who did "get it" and skiied with shorts or a tee shirt in the Spring...until they took a good wipeout. I've seen skin get taken clean off to the epidermis.

Spring snow is alot like rough sandpaper on bare skin. A few nice elbow or knee raspberries and those shorts and tee shirts disappear for good.

tekweezle

just make it a 1 layer day and wear just shell pants and maybe a vest over a long sleeve shirt. no extra layers required on days like that!

2knees

I used to ski in a tshirt sometimes but like JimG said, if you fall, it'll rip your skin off. I used to end up with some pretty bad abrasions around my elbows. Nasty stuff.

Zand

I skiied in shorts and a T-shirt last year, fell, and nothing bad happened. I can see it happening when it's the gritty leftover base, but it's fine if it's still soft snow.

Mark D

i ride park in a tee shirt some times and you should see the cuts i get from falling. but then agin i also ride park so that might have something to do with it.

skibum1321

I would never ski in shorts but if it's in the 60s I'll ski in a tee sometimes. I've avoided the nasty abrasions so far so maybe I'm just lucky. Other time I'll do the long-sleeve tee scene.