• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

Domeskier

Let me put it this way. I've had mine for almost 10 years now. I still use it year round on a regular basis and enjoy my workouts on it. It really does work the ski specific muscle groups that help you get the skis out from under you as you move them from side to side. It also works well with keeping your balance centered.

I'm really considering upgrading to one of their new models (the S5) where you can actually click into the platform while in your ski boots and the platform can also be angled forward a bit to really simulate the forward lean you encounter while heading downhill! Verses the S3 model that I have where I'm in my sneakers and the platform stays at an angle that is parallel to the floor

They are very well built, reliable machines too, with the only maintenance I've had to do on mine being replacing the rubber resistance belts twice now (about once every 4 or 5 years)

Cool. Prices for the top-end models are pretty steep if it was just a novelty that would end up collecting dust after a couple months. Good to hear it helps with ski specific muscle groups, too. I can't get out during the season as often as I would like and always end up feeling it afterwards. It would be nice to maintain those muscles in between outings.

skiNEwhere

I think you can get a pretty good deal on the skiers edge if you buy it through the ski expo

RustyGroomer

And splitting it as well...

Depending on the intensity, yard work of many types can be a good workout.
It's been crushing me. I've been doing quite a bit of yard work. Lots of clearing, landscape, stone, etc. Muscles I never knew I had hurt. I enjoy it though. Mentally it's awesome.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
CrossFit. I've been doing that 4 days a week for the past 4 months and I've seen unimaginable improvements in my athletic abilities.

Wicked1

Time to wake up another thread.
I know there are a lot of young bucks here who can rise before sun up, hike a mountain, ski a couloir, repeat, then get home after sunset and feel great. For me, at an advanced age, skiing a few hours then finding the bar is challenge enough.
Years ago I'd wake up, ski all day, bartend till 3am then do again the next day.
Times have changed.
For an old fart I'm in decent shape but, to ski all day requires more.
I've added more core and leg exercises to my daily workout.
I use body weight when working the legs. (don't want to shatter my artificial hips)
My goal is to delay the first brew from after lunch to Happy Hour. (White Russians aren't just for Breakfast anymore)
Anyone have a quad killing workout they would like to share?

Edd

I’ve been running and rowing for a few months. Also doing dumbbell squats, one legged squats, step ups and side step ups. I feel pretty good for early season. I have a feeling that the running has helped me this year.

I’m also starting to feel my age (47) and notice the difference between pre season exercising and doing nothing more than ever. It gets more and more critical to avoid injury.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

I joined a gym that is all personell trainers. We do HIT..lots of lunges, core, weights, pretty much everything. Major improvement. And 20 lbs lighter. Can ski bell to bell if i want now.

Wicked1

Doctor says I'm not allowed to run anymore, too jarring on the hips :-(
Still walk 4-8 miles per day unless skiing that day.
Just my gut feeling, running is for skinny people.
Running definitely would work the quads, in particular..hill work.

SkiFanE

I’ve been running and rowing for a few months. Also doing dumbbell squats, one legged squats, step ups and side step ups. I feel pretty good for early season. I have a feeling that the running has helped me this year.

I’m also starting to feel my age (47) and notice the difference between pre season exercising and doing nothing more than ever. It gets more and more critical to avoid injury.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Age plays a huge factor. Probably in my mid 40s I noticed by midsummer my neck would crack when turning my head, like in traffic. Then ski season came, and it'd be gone. Then next summer, cracking. Realized my neck and core were getting soggy over spring and summer. Due to life right now I can't commit to gym but do mountain bike regularly off season, and am always stretching my back and core daily. When I commute I sit up straight in car and don't use back of seat - right there that helps. My legs have always been strong but as I've aged I realized the core is ultimately what needs most attention. Especially if you like bumps.

mikec142

Just my gut feeling, running is for skinny people.
Totally agree. Even at my lightest weight, I find that I get injured while running. From little nagging things like Achilles tendonitis, to plantar fasciitis, to serious stuff like stress fractures.

My gut feeling is that some people are built to run...others (me included) not so much.

Last season was my strongest ski season...I had dropped some weight, been doing a lot of yoga, and riding my Peloton. My legs and core felt much stronger while on skis. I'm definitely behind this year on conditioning, but will try to step it up.

Hawk

Once you get into your 40s running is absolutely the worst thing you can do. Take up cycling instead. It is less impact. Swimming is also good if you can do longer distances. You will save the longevity of your knees and hips. Trust me, all my skiing friends that were runners are now going for hip an knee replacements.

Edd

Once you get into your 40s running is absolutely the worst thing you can do. Take up cycling instead. It is less impact. Swimming is also good if you can do longer distances. You will save the longevity of your knees and hips. Trust me, all my skiing friends that were runners are now going for hip an knee replacements.

Food for thought, thanks. I have never loved running so the idea of stopping doesn’t break my heart.