• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

Greg

Staff member
Gonna be on the job training for me. I hate to see what kind of shape I'm going to start the season out at....

mondeo

Recent snow and K getting the guns going have me thinking it is time to start adding more leg and core workouts (already do a good bit weekly). Earlier than I had planned, but that is a good thing....

It will be interesting to see if all this off season work pays off, or if, as expected, I still will be tired and sore as hell early season until I ski myself into shape.

Ultimate goal... not be paralyzed by the length of the Gunny bump run for S7...
It'll definately help, but you're going to be using muscles differently than while working out. It's the difference between being in outright pain and mild soreness the day after.

Huck_It_Baby

I go hiking in places that have a good deal of elevation gain with heavy ROCKS in my backpack.

It doesn't sound fun but believe me once the winter comes around and your out hiking in deep pow with your gear on your back it makes a difference.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
While skinning up Killington last weekend, I kept thinking "thank goodness for road biking!" I was much faster and more efficient than usual and I felt like I had a lot more leg than my first skin historically. Still, the skiing and skinning muscles are radically different than those built up by cycling. But road biking certainly held with the cardio, basic conditioning, and shedding 20 pounds. So I am entering this season more ready than I have been for many seasons past.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Overall I've been thrilled with my fitness most of the season. Only times I haven't been is when I've been too sore from the gym during the week.

Upped the ante today and started Kettlebell training. Even after a year of hitting the gym 4-5 days a week, I found the workout to be BRUTAL, which is a good thing. Apparently kettlebells are the primary training method for the Russian Special Forces.

legalskier

Last year I got an elliptical machine and it definitely helped. This year I'm thinking of kicking it up a notch with some rope jumping. Or is it jump roping?. Whatever, hopefully by the fall I'll be doing this-

Yeah. :-o

MR. evil

picked up P90X and going to give it a try.

Here is my advice, take it for what it's worth (I only made it about 60 plus day before I messed up my shoulder)

Try to follow the diet as close as possible. You will burn tons of calories and need to eat more than you think. I was eating 5 small meals a day

Don't skimp on the yoga...it helps a lot with recovery

Ease into it, 90 days is a long time, and the work out are not easy.

Get ready to do lots of chin ups!

Push up bars are a must have!

Select-tech dumbbells make the work outs much more efficient.....but they are pricy

The first two weeks are hell

You can make a nice chin up bar from threaded steel pipe and fitting from HD for cheap

Good luck!!!!

gmcunni

Here is my advice, take it for what it's worth (I only made it about 60 plus day before I messed up my shoulder)

Try to follow the diet as close as possible. You will burn tons of calories and need to eat more than you think. I was eating 5 small meals a day

Don't skimp on the yoga...it helps a lot with recovery

Ease into it, 90 days is a long time, and the work out are not easy.

Get ready to do lots of chin ups!

Push up bars are a must have!

Select-tech dumbbells make the work outs much more efficient.....but they are pricy

The first two weeks are hell

You can make a nice chin up bar from threaded steel pipe and fitting from HD for cheap

Good luck!!!!

thanks Tim, actually looking forward to the yoga part (though i've never done it before).

MR. evil

thanks Tim, actually looking forward to the yoga part (though i've never done it before).

When I did p90x 2 years ago I was in pretty good shape to begin with ( several MTB rides a week and Judo 3 days a week) and the workout still kicked my ass! If you have been fairly inactive for a while it might be a good idea to spend a couple of weeks to a month to up your fitness level before you start the program. Not trying to scare you, just want to make sure you ready to succeed.

Have you taken the fitness test yet?

gmcunni

When I did p90x 2 years ago I was in pretty good shape to begin with ( several MTB rides a week and Judo 3 days a week) and the workout still kicked my ass! If you have been fairly inactive for a while it might be a good idea to spend a couple of weeks to a month to up your fitness level before you start the program. Not trying to scare you, just want to make sure you ready to succeed.

Have you taken the fitness test yet?

i've heard/read that p90x is designed for those in shape who want to take it to the next level, that's not me. but i scored it for $45 on ebay (still in wrapper) so i figured i'd give it a try.i need to do something, too inactive lately. I have not taken the test or even read the instruction book yet.

MR. evil

I am planing on starting another round in the fall once I am in prime riding shape. Going to to the P90x Lean program this time instead of the normal program. I have always been a pretty skinny guy and p90x gave me a little more body mass than I wanted. I just never felt as quick as I did before the program. The lack of quickness really messed up my Judo game.

After this past winter I have even more body mass around my waist line that I need to work off.

MR. evil

i've heard/read that p90x is designed for those in shape who want to take it to the next level, that's not me. but i scored it for $45 on ebay (still in wrapper) so i figured i'd give it a try.i need to do something, too inactive lately. I have not taken the test or even read the instruction book yet.

Take the fitness test, it's a real eye opener. Than for shits & giggles try the first work out. It's nothing but alternating sets of pull ups and push ups. Sucks A$$!!!!!! I literally couldn't put on a jacket the next morning with out help :)

drjeff

The 1st P90x video I tried (wasn't sure how much it would/wouldn't kick my butt when I got it) was for giggles, the yoga video - I figured how tough could yoga be?? About 15 minutes into that roughly 75 minute video, I suddenly had a HUGE amount of respect for yoga, and the way that the folks that Tony had on that video with him can bend/flex/balance is AMAZING!

P90x is the real deal, and it will both motivate, humble, excite, and frustrate you

Madroch

picked up P90X and going to give it a try.

Did a complete round last summer, and a little bit in the fall, but fell off during the ski season-- the worst time. My fitness peaked in November/December and went downhill from there--Feb and beyond was the worst because my skiing days became fewer and fewer- winter weight gain and loss of tone was not insignificant.

Started again last week- plan to do one round now, and another in the fall.

Week one is hell, week two and thereafter get progressively better- I am finishing week two and already feel quite good.

Madroch

You can do it without being in great shape-- I am a prime example. I had no upper body or core strengh when I started but saw vast improvements. You just to what you can-- and you find yourself improving each week. After 90 days the improvements are startling-- particularly if you were really weak like I was.

Did not do yoga-- and I regret it-- think it would have been great for skiing-- I am doing it this round.

Really regret not continuing it through ski season-- December and January I found my legs to be really solid and much quicker (Plyometrics!)--by March they were noodles and had lost any quickness I had gained.

Madroch

Take the fitness test, it's a real eye opener. Than for shits & giggles try the first work out. It's nothing but alternating sets of pull ups and push ups. Sucks A$$!!!!!! I literally couldn't put on a jacket the next morning with out help :)

having just started a new round last week...I needed a manservant for Tues through Sat.