• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry questions

S

smallberries

David Goodman's books on backcountry skiing have got me interested in expanding my horizons. Up until now my backcountry experience has consisted of Tuckerman Ravine and trips over to Mittersill from Cannon (which hardly qualifies since there's not much uphill involved.)

I'm both a skier and snowboarder and I'm considering getting geared up with either:

Alpine touring skis. Anyone got feedback on the good skis, bindings, boots? I'm 175 lb and I'd want an all-mountain set-up that works well in as many conditions as possible. Don't tell me I should get into tele...I don't know if my half century old knees could take that.

or

a split snowboard

or

little approach skis to be used while climbing with my existing snowboard. K2 makes some Clicker compatable approach skis. This would be the least expensive way for me to go, but the most cumbersome with the extra gear on my back.

Any feedback is appreciated,

Smallberries

SAB

My only thought is on your third option. Instead of buying little approach skis, many boarders buy a pair of snowshoes for the climb. They ride well in a pack and are pretty versatile regarding where they can go. The only down side is that if you have a long, flat approach, they'll be pretty slow.
Other than that don't know much about AT or backcountry snowboarding gear. Tele gear seems like the most logical choice for versatility in the backcountry. You shouldn't write off tele so quickly - may be worth a try.
SAB