• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Benefits of hiking poles?

Bumpsis

Most people who try hiking poles seem to like it. Well, the idea of a walking stick/satff/support is as old as walking itslef. I've always used a walking stick while hiking. In the past few years I've been using one of my ski poles. Works great on descents. No need spending on extra gear since that most of us already have ski poles.

Mike P.

So is grabbing & holding onto trees good for the trees?

IWhen I solo, I try & bring them as if I injury a leg, they would be part of a field splint. I may not use them in summer but I'll bring them. I was out yesterday on parts of the Pachaug & Nehantic Trails around Griswold, CT and water is still high, first brook crossings I've done not using my poles. Felt less secure.

If you only use poles once or twice you won't get used to them, after a while you don't look much where you place them, just liek you don't look at your feet 100% of the time. (Well, I"m pretty clumsy so i liek hiking in late October when the leaves are on the ground. That way I don't trip when I look up at the early fall foliage still on the trees. :D )

twigeater

Website
community.webshots.com
I agree Bumpsis, most people who try poles like them...I'm just not one of them, at least not all the time anyway. I think they're a great tool for people with knee problems!

That's a good point MikeP, about the splint. Usually I have mine with me while backpacking even if they're strapped to my pack.

So is grabbing & holding onto trees good for the trees?

I don't know...but I can think of several trails, or sections of trails where you couldn't use poles if you wanted to (or at least, I wouldn't know how to) and trees are a great help. I grab rocks if I can. I like the feel of granite and dirt and live trees.

I definately like them for water crossings, where I'm a wuss anyway.
:D