• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking in flip flops?

dmc

Lack of ankle support is not an issue for many hikers. I actually value lateral movement when hiking. Trail runners would also would not wear boots.

I come from a family of strong ankles.. :)

Thanks for reminding me - I wanted to get a trail run in tonight...

Warp Daddy

I'm thinking about replace my 10 year old Tevas... How do you like Keens? Get any nasty looks on the trail?

I really like them the covered toe is a great feature 9 hides my farkin nasty ugly ass black nails :D:D) they are comfy and seem to be grippy too

Strange looks D -- Hell yeah i get strange looks but WGARA ~~~~~~~~~~~~Lmao

dmc

I really like them the covered toe is a great feature 9 hides my farkin nasty ugly ass black nails :D:D) they are comfy and seem to be grippy too

Strange looks D -- Hell yeah i get strange looks but WGARA ~~~~~~~~~~~~Lmao

Since I stopped skiing my toes have returned to normal... :)

I think I'm going to get a pair...

Warp Daddy

Since I stopped skiing my toes have returned to normal... :)

I think I'm going to get a pair...

DO IT D they'd be great for when yer honkin on yer drums and getting all funky n' nasty :D:D i use them when i play the axe too -its keeps my feet kewl :D

dmc

DO IT D they'd be great for when yer honkin on yer drums and getting all funky n' nasty :D:D i use them when i play the axe too -its keeps my feet kewl :D

I've been playing in Chuck Taylors lately.. :)

Black Phantom

If it's muddy I don't wear Tevas... I got a pair of footwear for every occasion... :)

wcQYTbnKuMKg712.jpg

Last edited:

arik

all right then, thanks for all the comments!
I have never sprained an ankle but perhaps the closed toe Keen hiking sandals are worth a look.
I would only do it for a day hike, overnight thing totally agree with proper shoes and more importantly, proper socks.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I think this is like the wearing a helmet issue, if it works for you why change. It is important to know the risks tho. With many of the trails having rocks and roots in the path I bet as soon as you stub your toe good, I mean near breaking it good you will realize that upgrading to at least a sneaker might be a good thing. :smile: People on the trail give you a dirty look cause they wish they had the yutzpah to not be wearing their heavy duty hiking boots, overkill IMHO for most general below timberline hiking.

ctenidae

I can't imagine going uphill or downhill successfuly in flip flops. Sandals are hard enough. I can barely get up the ramp from the dock in flip flops, especially if my feet are wet.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
When backpacking I typically bring flip flops with me for lounging at the campsite. But actually hiking in them... i can't see myself doing that. I get annoyed with flip flops even on flat ground after like 1/2 mile.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
yeaahh...it sounds like it may be a pain but if it was an easier trail (reservoir hikes or something..) I may wear them. I'd probably be more apt to do it except for the gruff you recieve, it is better to be safe than sorry!! I still mow the the lawn in flipflops...haven't lost a toe yet! :beer:

abc

I have hiked with low cut hiking shoes for as long as I have been hiking and have had no issues. Plenty of support. Even for lugging ski gear up to Tucks. This is all personal preference based on individual physiology. Lack of ankle support is not an issue for many hikers. I actually value lateral movement when hiking. Trail runners would also would not wear boots.
I don't hike in flip flops (dislike them altogether). However, I don't care for all that talk about "ankle support", especially when not involving a full pack.

My ankles are a lot stronger than the "support" that came with the boots. (I also have a small frame so my body don't put that much weight on my feet) As a kid, I did a lot of running and jumping games. So my ankles were trained to be flexible and strong. Never understand why one "need" ankle support.

It's only when I'm wearing a full pack (which I don't do much any more), that I found my ankle gets tired from the extra weight it has to handle.

Open toe is not a good idea when hiking any where there is exposed rock, root, or other such potentially painful and injury causing topographical features. Keen and Teva make "open" hiking shoes with closed/ruberized toe. If you want to have open feet without socks, that would be the way to go.
Painful, yes. Injury, unlikely. (unless you're talking about bruised toe nails)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I was toying with bringing a pair of lightweight somethings to fjord brooks that cannot be crossed any other way. I've resisted flip flops since it seems they would be more unstable than my stinky old feet even though they hit the weight and size criteria.

I love walking around in bare feet and camp. Nothing better than pine pitch all over my feet.
:sadwalk: