• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking in flip flops?

o3jeff

I have three pairs of Chameleons. They are the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. One pair is completely worn out and was replaced. They are over 10 years old. The third is for wet days and are gore-tex. These a re little less comfortable but still great.

I had to retire a pair of the stretch cameleons finally after many years, extremely comfortable and no need to tie them! I still wear them painting around the house.

DonnaWalken

Website
www.hikesedona.com
My feet feel so vulnerable just a the thought of hiking in flip flops...even on an urban hike. I prefer my feet to be sufficiently covered where any serious walking and hiking is involved.

Cannonball

After working on the house all day today (see DIY thread) I sat down with a beer and a whiskey (see What Are You Drinking thread). My dog was staring at me because I had been neglecting her all day. So we walked out the door. I had on flip flops and Carharts with only an idea of walking around the neighborhood. We ended up doing 6 miles of trails in the WMNF. I don't really recommend flip flops, but it was no problem whatsoever.

WWF-VT

We saw three people hiking barefoot on Mt Abraham in VT on Saturday. It's a very rocky trail and they were stepping very carefully. One of the guys was on his first hike of the season without shoes and was not looking too happy. Another guy said that he goes barefoot as long as there is no snow on the ground.

Last edited:

〽❄❅

We saw three people hiking barefoot on Mt Abraham in VT on Saturday. It's a very rocky trail and they were stepping very carefully. One of the guys was on his first hike of the season without shoes and was not looking too happy. Another guy said that he goes barefoot as long as there is no snow on the ground.
...dress rehearsal video bio for their chance to on Discovery channels "Naked And Afraid". lol.

Cornhead

uploadfromtaptalk1403614695473.jpg
Guess he's no longer on the show, couldn't play nice with his gung ho special forces partner, what a shocker. He did wear socks in the snowy locals, wimp. His replacement, who lives full time in the Colorado wilderness, wears sandals IIRC. Wonder what he'll wear in the snow?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

JimG.

Staff member
Sadly, A 23 year old woman who decided to hike the cliffs at Kaaterskill Falls near Hunter in flip flops fell 180 feet to her death after slipping on loose rocks and dirt. Not to be disrespectful of the dead, but I've hiked those cliffs and you have to be nuts to try to hike them in flip flops.

ScottySkis

Sadly, A 23 year old woman who decided to hike the cliffs at Kaaterskill Falls near Hunter in flip flops fell 180 feet to her death after slipping on loose rocks and dirt. Not to be disrespectful of the dead, but I've hiked those cliffs and you have to be nuts to try to hike them in flip flops.

Horrible of any one to try this. I went close to their last week in the Cats and decided not to hike because i had hiking shoes but not hiking boots or proper hiking pole which i learned is very much needed for this great spot and sport.

I dont think it helping when i go into local sports store and see hiking sandals in the hiking shoe section for sale.

Get Free Shipping on Sandals and Flip Flops on Sale, and other footwear at clearance ... This is a great hiking sandal with excellent tracktion. i love wearing the ...

dlague

Second death this year! They claim this are is often visited by people wearing the wrong footwear due to the swimming holes. There are annual fatalities here! Sounds like a fun place to visit!

ScottySkis

Second death this year! They claim this are is often visited by people wearing the wrong footwear due to the swimming holes. There are annual fatalities here! Sounds like a fun place to visit!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheCatskillMountainsPerspective/
It is awesome place just need to wear proper boots and hiking gear.
10534493_10204476834189024_2215070249841308128_n.jpg

10570535_10204476830308927_4478707024468352059_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=823568267653215&set=o.246109162257557&type=2&theater
10525597_10204476819708662_4831342262526095341_n.jpg

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member

Yes, there are swimming holes, but you don't have to hike the cliffs to access them. There are easier trails to those places.

I guess we will soon see signs or forest rangers in these places or they will be off limits entirely to prevent these unnecessary fatalities. You would think the presence of climbers rappelling down those cliffs would be warning enough to have proper footwear.

Really sad, this girl lived in Wappingers Falls which is 5 miles from my house.

ScottySkis

Yes, there are swimming holes, but you don't have to hike the cliffs to access them. There are easier trails to those places.

I guess we will soon see signs or forest rangers in these places or they will be off limits entirely to prevent these unnecessary fatalities. You would think the presence of climbers rappelling down those cliffs would be warning enough to have proper footwear.

Really sad, this girl lived in Wappingers Falls which is 5 miles from my house.

I really sorry about her passing she not I probably only 15 miles from her negihborhood the way the crow flies. Heard someone talking about it in my local deli they knew her family sad just sad.

lewiskk

My boy friend and I hiked in flip flops in the snow because we forgot are boots :/ and was not going to turn back around!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lewiskk

It takes us over a hour to get where we were hiking! He just got a brand new off roading vehicle and just totally forgot we have never done it before! We realized when we got their and their was no shoes in the trunk [emoji23][emoji23] LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I volunteer with the National Forest service to intercept hikers unprepared, inexperienced or otherwise lacking in judgement. About 10% were bona fide unprepared this year. We can't stop them but we do make them think twice.
NHF&G told us that SAR missions were down significantly. contact me if you have good people skills and Want to help.

Had a group of abot eight all in cheap flip flops. Tried to instill the fear of God in them,but they went anyways. :(