• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking in flip flops?

arik

Ok this is a stupid thread I admit.

But does anyone but me like to hike in flip flops.

I did Haystack Mountain last weekend and wore flip flops and got a number of concerned comments from fellow hikers.

I have also hiked Mt. Monadonock in flip flops and gotten similar comments.

I think it's great, very comfortable, am I the only one?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I've hiked in Tevas, but that was a long time ago. I suppose if you want to go archaeological, it's probably better for you because feet weren't designed to be contained in shoes anyway. And there is a movement now for barefoot running. On the other hand, how do you get a good footing/grip on the rockier stuff?

thetrailboss

Staff member
To be honest, if we are talking about a hike up a 4,000 footer, and I am carrying even a daypack, I always reach for my Asolo 520 full hiking boots. Sneakers or "low cut" approach shoes are still not a good idea because of the lack of ankle support.

dmc

Ok this is a stupid thread I admit.

But does anyone but me like to hike in flip flops.

I did Haystack Mountain last weekend and wore flip flops and got a number of concerned comments from fellow hikers.

I have also hiked Mt. Monadonock in flip flops and gotten similar comments.

I think it's great, very comfortable, am I the only one?

I do hikes in my Tivas... I don't care what other people think..
I also do hikes in hiking boots...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm thinking about replace my 10 year old Tevas... How do you like Keens? Get any nasty looks on the trail?

I don't think it is a matter of "opinion" or "nasty looks," but one of common sense and safety. I've seen folks hike barefoot before. Folks can hike in whatever they want and I don't care until someone has to risk their life to go rescue them because they rolled an ankle or injured themselves.

dmc

I don't think it is a matter of "opinion" or "nasty looks," but one of common sense and safety. I've seen folks hike barefoot before. Folks can hike in whatever they want and I don't care until someone has to risk their life to go rescue them because they rolled an ankle or injured themselves.

Maybe so and maybe not... Some terrain sure - hike in Tevas.. Some tough terrain - wear your boots... Maybe even consider breaking out the double boots for those really crazy hikes..

People hike the Tuckerman trail in sneakers all the time.. I've even seen Tevas. I've never seen a Ranger stop someone for that. I'm sure they can handle a "rolled" ankle... I've seen them handle worse..

It's always black and white with you guys when it comes to your opinions... :) .

just my opinion...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's always black and white with you guys when it comes to your opinions... :) .

just my opinion...

Agree. It all depends on the application for sure. When I'm out bushwacking, I want something with full protection. Then again, a "suburban" trail, or even hiking on volcanic rocks, sneakers are just fine. Not so sure I'd want to be in Tevas when I hit the muck or mid-trail moose droppings!

The last thing I worry about is how I look when I'm hiking. I don't think the wildlife care what I wear either. :-o

dmc

Agree. It all depends on the application for sure. When I'm out bushwacking, I want something with full protection. Then again, a "suburban" trail, or even hiking on volcanic rocks, sneakers are just fine. Not so sure I'd want to be in Tevas when I hit the muck or mid-trail moose droppings!

If it's muddy I don't wear Tevas... I got a pair of footwear for every occasion... :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've hiked in Tevas, but that was a long time ago. I suppose if you want to go archaeological, it's probably better for you because feet weren't designed to be contained in shoes anyway. And there is a movement now for barefoot running. On the other hand, how do you get a good footing/grip on the rockier stuff?

I've often found that I get better grip on wet rocks with barefeet than I do with shoes. Spent a lot of time scrambling over rocks in VT swimming holes during the summer as a kid. Always felt safer barefoot.

To be honest, if we are talking about a hike up a 4,000 footer, and I am carrying even a daypack, I always reach for my Asolo 520 full hiking boots. Sneakers or "low cut" approach shoes are still not a good idea because of the lack of ankle support.

I really don't hike much at all these days, but I did constantly in High School. I've rolled my ankles way worse in full on hiking boots than I have in 'low cut' shoes. I find with a full up boot, if you start to roll over you go all the way, where as with a lower cuff you're able to flex a bit more.

I pretty much just trail run these days a couple of times a month on the Big A. Wear my normal running shoes. I think the keys to not rolling an ankle are staying light on ones feet and trying to stay up on the balls of your feet even going downhill.

The barefoot running movement makes a lot of sense to me. I don't see why it wouldn't translate to hiking just the same.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Open toe is not a good idea when hiking any where there is exposed rock, root, or other such potentially painful and injury causing topographical features. Keen and Teva make "open" hiking shoes with closed/ruberized toe. If you want to have open feet without socks, that would be the way to go.

"low cut" approach shoes are still not a good idea because of the lack of ankle support.
I have hiked with low cut hiking shoes for as long as I have been hiking and have had no issues. Plenty of support. Even for lugging ski gear up to Tucks. This is all personal preference based on individual physiology. Lack of ankle support is not an issue for many hikers. I actually value lateral movement when hiking. Trail runners would also would not wear boots.