hiking in flip flops? - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Shawangunk great hiking and biking in this area fun getting high in the mountains of Hudson VAlle!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Sadly, A 23 year old woman who decided to hike the cliffs at Kaaterskill Falls near Hunter in flip flops fell 180 feet to her death after slipping on loose rocks and dirt. Not to be disrespectful of the dead, but I've hiked those cliffs and you have to be nuts to try to hike them in flip flops.
    Horrible of any one to try this. I went close to their last week in the Cats and decided not to hike because i had hiking shoes but not hiking boots or proper hiking pole which i learned is very much needed for this great spot and sport.

I dont think it helping when i go into local sports store and see hiking sandals in the hiking shoe section for sale.

Get Free Shipping on Sandals and Flip Flops on Sale, and other footwear at clearance ... This is a great hiking sandal with excellent tracktion. i love wearing the ...
    Got to get high upb oh so high up and enjoy the mountains .

Sadly, A 23 year old woman who decided to hike the cliffs at Kaaterskill Falls near Hunter in flip flops fell 180 feet to her death after slipping on loose rocks and dirt. Not to be disrespectful of the dead, but I've hiked those cliffs and you have to be nuts to try to hike them in flip flops.
    Second death this year! They claim this are is often visited by people wearing the wrong footwear due to the swimming holes. There are annual fatalities here! Sounds like a fun place to visit!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)

I do not ski because I want to, I ski because I have to!

Shawangunk great hiking and biking in this area fun getting high in the mountains of Hudson VAlle!
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Second death this year! They claim this are is often visited by people wearing the wrong footwear due to the swimming holes. There are annual fatalities here! Sounds like a fun place to visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheC...nsPerspective/
    It is awesome place just need to wear proper boots and hiking gear.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Last edited by ScottySkis; Jul 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Yes, there are swimming holes, but you don't have to hike the cliffs to access them. There are easier trails to those places.

I guess we will soon see signs or forest rangers in these places or they will be off limits entirely to prevent these unnecessary fatalities. You would think the presence of climbers rappelling down those cliffs would be warning enough to have proper footwear.

Really sad, this girl lived in Wappingers Falls which is 5 miles from my house.

Yes, there are swimming holes, but you don't have to hike the cliffs to access them. There are easier trails to those places.

I guess we will soon see signs or forest rangers in these places or they will be off limits entirely to prevent these unnecessary fatalities. You would think the presence of climbers rappelling down those cliffs would be warning enough to have proper footwear.

Really sad, this girl lived in Wappingers Falls which is 5 miles from my house.
    I really sorry about her passing she not I probably only 15 miles from her negihborhood the way the crow flies. Heard someone talking about it in my local deli they knew her family sad just sad.

Thread Information