• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking in flip flops?

legalskier

Believe it or not, a friend of mine hiked up this in flip flops:

2161251-Kaaterskill_Falls-Catskill_State_Park.jpg

:-o
He won't be trying that again.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
While hiking on the wind and rainswept Crawford Path a week or so ago we saw one of the Mizpah croo on his way to Lakes of the Clouds in shorts, tee shirt and what looked like flip-flops (with socks on). Mind you it was very windy - a full gale with gust near 50 and raining steadily. He was really bookin' too. I'm guessing he was cold.

〽❄❅

I hate Flip Flops, can barley tolerate them going from the beach to the car, or for that matter to my house's mailbox. No way would i hike in them.

I've been trying hikes in the "barefoot" shoes, so far with disappointing results.

First tried the Merrell Trail Glove. I liked the even, negative heal lift. Loved the way the midfoot/heel cup fit so close and didn't move around on my foot when twisting and turning over and thru rocky areas. Problem was, my toes kept lifting and hitting the toe cap upper which quickly became irritating and for all the wide toe shape my two smallest toes (pinky toe and the next), kept scraping the toe cap, ended up the deal breaker. I also thought the grip on rocks was terrible and i felt every thing i walked on. I hike around Philadelphia's Fairmount Park Valley Green. The clay/gravel trail surface of Forbidden Drive was murder on my feet.

Next up the New Balance Minimus. Better traction than the Merrel and not as hard on my feet, feel every pebble. Just as tight fitting in the heel midfoot as the Merrell. They allow my feet to wrap around logs and rocks which inspires confidence and feels right. Wanted to like them but the forefoot toe area tends to be spoon shaped which isn't at all problematic when traversing rocks and tree roots but killes my two little toes on flat surfaces. I literally have to walk with my ankles rolled inward, pressure on the big toe/metatarsal to take the pressure off my outer little toes. Very unnatural. They're going back.

I'm a old guy who in the nineteen-seventies wore Kaslos Earth Shoes with negative heels/foot shaped toe area. I like the direction they're going in with anatomically designed toe shapes. I have what some refer to as "French Feet", or just plain flipper feet so i hate shoes that pinch my big, little or both inwards. That was why i got so excited when i first saw these barefoot shoes. The Keens have a good toe shape but are all too wide everywhere else, my heel is all over the place in them. Debating trying the trail glove again a 1/2 size up only because they'd be great walking around town in if my toes wouldn't graze the toe cap. I wasn't wild about their performance on the trails i hike.

arik

flip flop update

just an update (wow this thread I started is still alive one year later)

I finally got a pair of hiking boots (graduation present), Asolo's, and love them.

Morwax

Flip flops are THE WORST thing for your feet. No support and studies show they actually make you alter your stride. My podiatrist says going barefoot is better and flip flops should come with a warning. If youve never had tibial tendonitis or plantar faciitis your lucky!!

〽❄❅

PWDR8S

I've hiked Mt Washington barefoot a few times as well as other areas. Not for the unbroken in feet!
The rest of the time I use my Limmers.
As for sandals and flipflops...... not recommended. stubbed toes are painful and annoying and having rocks slide and fall on top of your feet can be downright hazardous! I speak from experience many many moons ago... I've gone with flip flops(=failure) and tevas that hold to your feet better but the exposure was too great for the trade off. I still have some scarring on the arch!

If I don't have my Limmers or other full leather uppers(=ankle support and protection) I'll go barefoot and a lot slower(though friends would argue I'm faster)

Cannonball

Took the dog for a walk to the coffee shop in flip flops the other day. It was nice out so we strolled to the Pemi. Then kept wandering and without really paying attention almost summited Loon. Wasn't so bad...but the down really sucked. I paid for it for a couple of days.

sweeper

Horsepuckie!

I've been in my Tevas for over two months now. I spend 2+/-hrs in the woods every day with my dog. We have walked on all terrains, under all conditions. I don't even think about putting anything on but the tevas. Rock, woods, brooks, beaver bogs, sun, rain. I did the carry around Allagash falls in Tevas and just bought a new pair this week.
I'm headed to 13 Falls this weekend, I'll wear a pair of low cut hiking shoes in, but day two, the climb up to Galehead, will be in Tevas and most likely the trip out will be in them also. My ONLY concern is that the Tevas are new and may rub my feet differently. Day one today they worked great, but most of that was on old logg'n roads.

Oh ya no injures/cuts/bruises/sprains/..., in that time.

Set yourself free and put your Tevas on and hit the woods!

skiNEwhere

The first time I hiked a 14er in Colorado I didn't have hiking boots, so I used my work steel toes. They did provide some support but the added weight of the steel toe made the 7 mile hike feel twice as long.

I could never hike in flip flops, best case scenario I'd stub my toe a million times, plus I'd have to watch my feet to see where they were stepping, and I'd miss views and scenery, half the purpose for the hike to begin with. No thanks

joydavid

Flip-flops are pretty ineffective as a relief shoe. If you are looking to save weight, you're better off with Crocs, which weigh less than hiking sandals and protect your feet better than flip-flops.

Last edited:

hippiechick

I have several Merrells, and they're all great. I can't imagine why those wouldn't be.

I'm a big proponent of low-cut shoes also. There's always been the argument about ankle support, but as others have brought up, it depends on your individual physiology. The only high tops I have are my insulated winter ones.

I did just get a pair of the barefoot running shoes (merrell) and I can't wait to try them on a trail! I've ran on a treadmill with them, and it's a totally different stride, and I love it! Very light footed, and I think would be great for trail and uneven terrain because you stay on your toes more.

o3jeff

Thanks, I tend to roll my ankle a lot hiking for some reason. Been using mids since when I use full high tops my heel seems to rub due to the lack of flexing I assume. Can't wait to try these.

Puck it

Just ordered a pair of these. Anyone else have them, not many reviews out yet.

View attachment 8408

I have three pairs of Chameleons. They are the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. One pair is completely worn out and was replaced. They are over 10 years old. The third is for wet days and are gore-tex. These a re little less comfortable but still great.

o3jeff

How is the price range on these. I want to start hiking this summer, I am so happy me and my roommates are moving to home by the hills of south Ulster County in couple weeks hopefully. I love living in the hills.:):):):thumbup::thumbup:

$100, but can find them online for around $80 with a coupon code. I ordered mine off REI since they have 20% off for members.