• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for a utility vest

Rbixton86

I do a good amount of hiking and camping by myself and with my family. I'm looking for a good utility vest for myself. When we go out we've been trying to reduce our carry-in load, and bring less with us. I think that a good utitlity vest would also come in handy for fishing too. I found some on a website, but they were labeled as a photo vest, I'm assuming there is no difference. I've checked out a few differn't brands, but have seemed to find some models for around $15.00, I'm not quite sure if this is a decent price. I'm looking for some for my whole family so price is definatley an issue. Has anyone used the humvee brand safari vest , and if so , was it worth the buy?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Welcome to the boards. I had never considered using a vest like that before and it is a good idea. While this would make the pack lighter, you're still carrying the weight, so it seems academic from my POV. I don't use a vest like this.

Black Phantom

This will also act as a flotation device.

http://www.westernsafety.com/

stearnspg18-1248InflatableVest-2008.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I do a good amount of hiking and camping by myself and with my family. I'm looking for a good utility vest for myself. When we go out we've been trying to reduce our carry-in load, and bring less with us. I think that a good utitlity vest would also come in handy for fishing too. I found some on a website, but they were labeled as a photo vest, I'm assuming there is no difference. I've checked out a few differn't brands, but have seemed to find some models for around $15.00, I'm not quite sure if this is a decent price. I'm looking for some for my whole family so price is definatley an issue. Has anyone used the humvee brand safari vest , and if so , was it worth the buy?

Good price? Who knows. $15 seems pretty cheap to me. Have you thought about a fishing vest? Hunting vest? They come in kids sizes too. Cabellas has some pretty good merch.http://www.cabelas.com/
How about a fanny pack. I'm not so sure I'd want to be wearing a vest on a very hot day though.