• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Washington [Was: -70*F Windchill / -27*F Actual!]

SilentCal

Just imagine how the observatory crew must feel. How do they heat that place anyways? Betcha nobody falls for the old lick a flagpole while it's cold trick up there. :roll:

R

RichC

-15 degrees in Sugar Hill NH right now, more of the same for the next few days. This is when we really go through the firewood.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I would guess that they have electric heat. Since they have those huge generators up there as a power source, it makes the most sense to utilize them. Plus, when they had the big fire last year it left them without heat.

I am very glad to be spending this weekend at home, building my sled rig, and watching the game from a warm couch.

Max

I will be doing the Tripyramids on Saturday. I have a feeling we will not be stopping very often for contemplation and general chit-chat. This reminds me of the Owl's head hike last year when the high for the day was -15 F.

Greg...you need a "freezing your a$$ off" emoticon! Maybe the "blue in the face" one will do! :(

Greg

Staff member
Max said:
Greg...you need a "freezing your a$$ off" emoticon!

nature-smiley-12.gif

Greg

Staff member
The Mount Washington observer mentioned that last night Mount Marcy was visible yesterday at sunset; nearly 130 miles to the west! 8)

Greg

Staff member
Look at that visibility:

nview.jpg

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
And we thought that was cold...

Right now, on the Washington summit, the air temperature is -43F. The winds are in the 70s, and the wind chill is around -97F.

I am SOOOO glad that where I'm camping tomorrow night is right now just -27 with no wind at all.
:roll:

skijay

All I can say is I do not miss my VW Jetta Diesel (pre-TDI) in these temperatures.

Greg

Staff member
There was a Mount Washington segment on Good Morning America this morning. I didn't have time to watch but I set the TiVo to record it so I hope I catch it. In the preview, the moronic ABC anchor steps out into the elements with nothing on his face or head! :blink:

Greg

Staff member
www.mountwashington.org said:
Now our focus shifts to Thursday night, when a low moves by while intensifying over the Canadian Maritimes, driving even more cold air into the region. There have been talks of fifty degrees below zero Fahrenheit, which would break New Hampshire's state record low of minus 47, which was set up here in 1934.
:eek:

ChileMass

Great viz on the mountain cam right now -

WEEI was talking to one of the Mt. Washington weather guys this morning. He said the temp was -28*F with wind of 50mph for overall wind chill of -70*F. He said they check each other thoroughly before going outside, and said there's really no that much diff between -10*F and -30*F when the wind's blowing that hard - it's all bad......