Recommend some new all-mountain skis for me...

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommend some new all-mountain skis for me...

I'm currently using a pair of Rossignol Bandit BX's from 04-05, and I love them, but they're starting to get pretty high on the day count, so I'm starting to look for replacements.

They're 170's, with dimensions of 109-70-99. I'm looking for something similar. Any suggestions?

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Rossi CX80's. Got them for Xmas this Winter and love them! They hold on Ice like no tomorrow and float over crud and powder nicely. A cross between a GS and SL ski. Dont do too bad in the bumps either.

I'd personally think about something in the low to mid 80's for width. You'd be surprised how well they can hold on the ice, carve through the groomers and float if you get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
    I'd personally think about something in the low to mid 80's for width. You'd be surprised how well they can hold on the ice, carve through the groomers and float if you get lucky.
    So I've been told. Still on the fence though, I've been on a few wider skis in the past few years when mine haven't been with me, but I haven't enjoyed them much. (AC40's, Tigersharks.) I'm also a pretty light guy, 6ft 140lbs, so I've found I don't "sink" as much as other people seem to in the powder. (Or maybe it's just that I learned to ski powder on narrower skis). What would you suggest? I'm probably going to be demoing a bunch of skis next year, so I'm looking for things to try.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    So I've been told. Still on the fence though, I've been on a few wider skis in the past few years when mine haven't been with me, but I haven't enjoyed them much. (AC40's, Tigersharks.) I'm also a pretty light guy, 6ft 140lbs, so I've found I don't "sink" as much as other people seem to in the powder. (Or maybe it's just that I learned to ski powder on narrower skis). What would you suggest? I'm probably going to be demoing a bunch of skis next year, so I'm looking for things to try.
    I ski regularly on Head Monsters and the Volkl Tigersharks and agree that these skis need a lot of power to drive and are not good for lighter skiers. The Tigersharks are good frontside skis, but not stellar in the bumps or trees. These skis are stiffer as well. It depends on what you want in a ski. One brand that might be worth a demo is Atomic, which are quite popular because they are responsive and not too expensive. I know that the Metrons were the rave in 2007 or so, but I am not sure what they have now for models. I like the Atomics I have skied. Another try might be looking at K-2's which are generally softer. Again, mine were great at the time, but I outgrew them and needed something stiffer. I have not liked Dynastar skis and Salomons have been a bit too soft for me.

Best advice though is to demo skis...demo, demo, and demo again. Try different brands on a demo day and go with the ski that you like the best when you are just out skiing the terrain you normally ski.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Jun 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I've read that the Blizzard Magnum 8.1 are amazing east coast all mountain skis. I'm in the market to replace my B2s, but probably not until after this season. Like what I'm reading about the Blizzards and the new Fischer Motive 80

Hey, at least it's good to be talking about skiing again

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    but probably not until after this season.
    knowing your ways Root; when I saw you had replied I figured you would've quoted this above from me and repsonded

"famous last words"

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    knowing your ways Root; when I saw you had replied I figured you would've quoted this above from me and repsonded

"famous last words"
    lol...yeah really

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I ski regularly on Head Monsters and the Volkl Tigersharks and agree that these skis need a lot of power to drive and are not good for lighter skiers. The Tigersharks are good frontside skis, but not stellar in the bumps or trees. These skis are stiffer as well. It depends on what you want in a ski. One brand that might be worth a demo is Atomic, which are quite popular because they are responsive and not too expensive. I know that the Metrons were the rave in 2007 or so, but I am not sure what they have now for models. I like the Atomics I have skied. Another try might be looking at K-2's which are generally softer. Again, mine were great at the time, but I outgrew them and needed something stiffer. I have not liked Dynastar skis and Salomons have been a bit too soft for me.
    I'll add the metrons to my list to see if they're around. My skiing style is all over the place, so I actually need something that's decent in most terrain. I enjoy (and like to think I'm good at) everything except the tighter glades, lots of bumps, groomers, powder, slush....etc. I honestly don't really care about model year, I'll probably end up buying whatever it is off Ebay anyway for 1/2 the price this summer. (The BX's were a year old, unused when I got them for ~$150.)

Best advice though is to demo skis...demo, demo, and demo again. Try different brands on a demo day and go with the ski that you like the best when you are just out skiing the terrain you normally ski.
    I agree! Hence why I'm really looking for stuff to try, I have a few friends at random shops that'll let me demo almost anything anyway, I'm just looking for suggestions to narrow it down a bit.

Thread Information