• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

East Coast Alpine

urban07sti

Thanks! Yea, wasn't sure if East Coast was open yet. I've been to that REI a few times for other stuff, but never for boots/fitting, any experience?

Black Phantom

Rei

Thanks! Yea, wasn't sure if East Coast was open yet. I've been to that REI a few times for other stuff, but never for boots/fitting, any experience?

Yeah. You walk in and look at the selection of beginner to intermediate level boots that they have available. Select what you would like to try on and ask the pimply kid to run and get them for you.

snowmonster

urban, I've never bought boots from REI and they have a very limited selection at the store. Like what Black Phantom says, their staff does not inspire me with confidence. If you have access to a car, I suggest heading out of Boston. If all you want to do is gawk at boots, I was recently at Zimmerman's in Nashua and they've got a good selection going.

Black Phantom

urban, I've never bought boots from REI and they have a very limited selection at the store. Like what Black Phantom says, their staff does not inspire me with confidence. If you have access to a car, I suggest heading out of Boston. If all you want to do is gawk at boots, I was recently at Zimmerman's in Nashua and they've got a good selection going.

As far as killing some time in the Fenway area, having a few beers, and trying some boots on, REI is not a bad take. If you are looking for serious gear, obviously head north. You can get an idea what is available. And enjoy some beers in a cool area while you are at it.

REI does surprisingly have some gear worth buying. Head to the basement of the store (Boston). There is usually all types of crap lying around in bins. You might get lucky. I have purchased bindings for $100 just by asking if there is anything lying around. They tend to have old inventory in the backrooms that they are willing to part with for short $.

urban07sti

Thanks for the suggestions, I understand heading up North to a real shop is the way to go, I'm more just window browsing and getting prices so the girlfriend can grab some new boots this season (I may also pick up new liners as mine are a bit packed).

The REI in Fenway is pretty good, but never too impressed with the boot selection, didn't know if I was missing another place to go.

gostan

Check out SummitSki on Route 9 in Framingham. See Geoff or Teddy for boot fitting. And, with Mike deSantis, you get the very best ski tuning available at SkiMD.

http://www.summitskishop.com/

The folks from Danvers originally got their start in a quasi-partnership with Summit Ski owner, but that did not last too long. The best ski shop in the Boston area remains and is Summit Ski in Framingham.

Stan

Geoff

Is Wilderness House still there? They used to have a good boot fitter.

That would have been Gordon Hay. He used to be the best boot guy in town at Killington before he got into a personal relationship that moved him to Boston. He did a footbed company in Marblehead called A-Line.

skimawk

Expand your world outside of Boston for gear & service

Are there any other options for shops that are open now to check out ski boots in the Boston area?

Expand your world for gear outside of the Metro Boston Area. You travel up north to do most of your skiing. Travel out to Central Mass to get some great products and service.

Head to Worcester and Strands Ski Shop. Been in business longer then most of the people posting on this forum been skiing. Great boot fitters, huge inventory of equipment, plenty of stories of back in the day.

Andy's Sport Shop in Fitchburg. Been in their exotic location for several generation. Check out their website, www.andyssportshop.com. (Do a search with that address is off). Their snowboard department "The Cave" is worth the trip. The shop is just a few miles off of Route 2. Ski Shop in the winter, Scuba Shop in the Summer. Stop by for a visit, tell them Mark from Beaver Creek sent you.

Ski, Ride to the level of your smile!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I bought new boots from them last year - they had to be special ordered after they sized me up. They failed to order the liner I had specifically requested. Start to finish, took close to two months to get a boot that should have taken one week to get.

The boots ended up being too big - too big to the extent that I had a minor ankle sprain from my foot swishing around in the oversized boot. Before coming to the "too big" conclusion, I had major issues getting time with their staff for bootfitting - they seemed to be understaffed or too busy to deal with me. Not sure if this had to do with ironing out kinks having the new second store up in Danvers or what. In the end, I did manage to get a couple visits of bootfitting time from them - BUT - they were very distracted - more interested in keeping an eye on potential shoplifters than servicing me or other customers.

In the end, I had to buy a completely new pair of boots - full size smaller, and fit like a glove. East Coast Alpine would not return my phone calls or messages left from personal visits. They fit me into the too-large boot - they should have rectified the issue.

Very bitter taste left from my experience with them, along with a lightly used pair of expensive high end boots I can't use.

Sounds like only the name of the place has changed.....I was not impressed at all with the Ski Market when I lived in Boston.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Expand your world for gear outside of the Metro Boston Area. You travel up north to do most of your skiing. Travel out to Central Mass to get some great products and service.

Head to Worcester and Strands Ski Shop. Been in business longer then most of the people posting on this forum been skiing. Great boot fitters, huge inventory of equipment, plenty of stories of back in the day.

Another vote here for Strand's. Not as glitzy as other places and more down to earth (some may be turned off by how laid back it is). I bought my boots for them. They had good prices and great service. They also were there for me when I needed a repair done. They got it done. When I bought my boots, I needed to have the ski bindings readjusted and they did it for free.

Strand's is the place. Good brands, discount tickets, good service. They are a SKI shop, compared to a SKIING LIFESTYLE shop.

snowmonster

I dropped by the East Coast Alpine store on Comm Ave in Boston. They've been open for the past two weeks but they're still in the process of setting up. The ski repair/tuning service will be open in about two weeks so, for now, all repairs are being done at their Danvers location. The shop prices they quoted to me are pretty reasonable. Let's hope they don't jack them up once they realize what SkiMarket used to charge.

They have a very good ski selection. Lots of fat, off-piste skis (Line, Armada, Volkl, Rossi, Salomon, Armada, etc.). If anybody is in the market for a 188 S7 or S3, they have them in stock. They also have carvers but they don't dominate the place like they used to at SkiMarket.

The salespeople I've talked to seem knowledgeable and friendly. The owner/manager was in there last night and he was friendly and enthusiastic. I saw one of the shop guys on the train this morning and all we could talk about was the upcoming season. Last week when skiing SR, a Stowe skier from the North Shore said that East Coast Alpine does good work and that the owners gets it. I hope this shop does well. I know that Boston is not close to any big mountain but it's a huge population center and one way you can channel participants into the sport is by having ski shops in the city to remind people that there's sking to be done.

Geoff

They have a very good ski selection. Lots of fat, off-piste skis (Line, Armada, Volkl, Rossi, Salomon, Armada, etc.). If anybody is in the market for a 188 S7 or S3, they have them in stock. They also have carvers but they don't dominate the place like they used to at SkiMarket.

Oh goodie. All the intermediates are going to be skidding around on 100mm+ waist rockered skis this year.

I remember back in the day when they all came into the shop demanding to buy Olin Mark IV Comps. At the time, they were the absolute worst possible ski for average New England conditions. I remember skidding down an intermediate trail at the Stratton trade fair for a run. The ski would wobble uncontrollably at any kind of speed. We were told to just smile and sell 'em. If asked our opinion, we were told to say "They are a well marketed product."

tcsurfer

Hi all,

Yes my first post...

I have been working in ski and snowboard shops for the better part of 12years. I worked at both Ski Market back in the day and most recently at Wilderness House (for the past 4years).

Ski Market demise:
Ski Market hadn't really changed their business plan for 15years. Over extended themselves every year. Their demise was speculated about every year for the past 10years. The profits from the Ski Expo saved them every year, until last year when they were already too far behind on payments and couldn't dig themselves out.

Wilderness House demise:
First as "Bob Smiths Wilderness House" the owners had the store on Comm ave and Downtown in the financial district and they were doing very well. Unfortunately a water main broke a floor above the store downtown and flooded it. The owners lost more than 1million in inventory then when they sued the landlord for damages they lost again. Between the inventory loss and the legal fees they were unable to dig themselves out.

They sold the business to Joe Jones turning the comm ave store into "Joe Jones Wilderness House." With the purchase Joe Jones had over extended themselves and filed bankruptcy within a year. They got some new investors and got things going again.
Most of the staff from Bob Smiths days did stay on, i.e. the exceptional service. But they had difficulties getting all the product lines they would have wanted. Also Joe Jones did not always support the feelings and knowledge of the staff in the store. Waining sales (due to lack of product) and stresses between comm ave employees and Joe Jones management stressed the operation and bankruptcy was considered again.

Joe Jones instead sold the Comm ave store and the Joe Jones in Portland to another private investor group. New investors/owners had big plans but were short on cash. They opened 2 new locations in Maine on a shoestring budget, at Sunday River and Sugarloaf. Unfortunately again, more investment was needed and many promises were made but none came to fruition. Subsequently the stores closed when the season ended and sales died off.

tcsurfer

Now for boot fitting

If you liked the service at Wilderness House
Some people you may remember:

Alex is now at the new Ski Haus in Burlington Ma
Very competent, but limited to the tools that Ski Haus has

Dexter is now at EMS in downtown Newton Ma
Extremely competent but part time as it is his second job.

Jack is now working for Aline Footbed systems with Gordon Haye
Master Fitter, working at tradeshows for aline, if anyone has worked with him before and would like to get in touch let me know.

Tom (myself) is now working at Alpine Ski and Snowboard in Warwick RI
If people liked the way Gordon did boot fitting at Bob Smiths Wilderness House back in the day. I have adopted his business model and do custom fitting on Wednesday nights in RI. Drop in to custom footbeds, boot selection, stretch work, cuff alignment etc..

For other shops:
Their was a ski shop in Canton/Norwood down the road from Blue Hills that had great service but I recently heard they had closed. Have not confirmed this myself.

Summit Ski and Snowboard in Framingham Ma, has some great fitters and I do believe they do some custom work. (as someone else said)

Strands in Worcester have been around for 40+ years has great bootfitters and even do Strotlz custom boots. (as others have said)

East Coast Alpine seem to be running a great operation but I am unfamiliar with their boot fitting work.

If anyone has any questions about getting any kind info regarding products, services or the Southern New England Ski industry feel free to send me an email, I will answer any RELEVANT questions.
tcasss@gmail.com

Tom

wa-loaf

Wilderness House demise:
First as "Bob Smiths Wilderness House" the owners had the store on Comm ave and Downtown in the financial district and they were doing very well. Unfortunately a water main broke a floor above the store downtown and flooded it. The owners lost more than 1million in inventory then when they sued the landlord for damages they lost again. Between the inventory loss and the legal fees they were unable to dig themselves out.

Always wondered what happened to that store. They did great business with the banking and financial folks there. Sold guns too which was interesting.

I was the ski tech there for 96-97 season. The owners were pretty good people sorry to hear thing ended the way they did. They owned a sail shop in Cambridge near Cambridgeside at the time too.

bigbog

......In the end, I had to buy a completely new pair of boots - full size smaller, and fit like a glove. East Coast Alpine would not return my phone calls or messages left from personal visits. They fit me into the too-large boot - they should have rectified the issue.

Very bitter taste left from my experience with them, along with a lightly used pair of expensive high end boots I can't use.
Never let a salesperson push you into anything....particularly skiboots. You're the one who makes the choice...aggressively or passively. Most of us have made a wrong choice at some point in time..... Maybe I'm a little too gung ho about doing most of the shopping yourself...my heel, lower leg, ankle fit a #24 shell perfectly, but need various areas of volume.
Lots of shops won't order a #24 unless a purchase is iminent = Just Great:puke:...LOL...but the unending sagas teach what to look for in a boot....I think.....ie Atomic & other bootmakers don't even make certain models in a #24 shell... Maybe they don't really make the boots!..y/n?, just market them.

Last edited:

snowmonster

Thanks for the info, tcsurfer, and welcome to the boards. I'm glad to know that the crew at Wilderness House is getting back into the industry in different ways. Good luck to you all! You did fine work. Bought my first skis and boots at Wilderness House years ago. I still feel sad everytime I see that deserted shop on Comm Ave.

Glad to know too that Dexter is still in the neighborhood. He was a good guy. We talked a lot about backcountry skiing on slow nights. I was under the impression that a bunch of the guys in the shop took over/bought the WH from Joe Jones. Too bad things did not work out for the shop.

puckoach

For other shops:
Their was a ski shop in Canton/Norwood down the road from Blue Hills that had great service but I recently heard they had closed. Have not confirmed this myself.

I didn't go in, but I drove by this shop on Rt 138 in Canton a week ago. Sign was up. Head west on Rt 138, on right after the second light from Rt 128.

There is a shop in Norwood, on the Walpole line on Rt 1N. Jacksons. Seem to know the business, and have a reasonable level of product. I found them to try hard to help you out, and admit it, if they couldn't. Went there with my wife's fitting problem, and they were great. Friend of mine was in there last week. They spent over 30 minutes with him, and finally told him how/where to get what he wanted else where. Character !

Great shop in Quincy, MA. http://countryski.com/ Owner is a great guy, and I have had great luck there. Quick turn around on a binding recall, on a binding not purchased there ! Very satisfied with a boot fitting, purchase. Doesn't carry everything, but does have a very good selection. IMHO, The best shop short of ski country.

There is also a service shop in Westwood called Ski Stop. On Rt1A in Islington section of town. Last commercial property on right heading towards Dedham. Have had them do service in the past, and was satisfied with work and price.

There is also a shop, just off the highway in Raynham / Taunton. Never got technical with them, but they seem nice. The two times I went in, I was killing time. They were doing a lot of board work. Off Rt 24 south, take the Rt 44 exit towards Taunton. Left at first light, in the plaza on your right. http://skiandsportsonline.com/. Good selection of soft goods, a little better than any I have listed above.

As stated in another post, my favorite at the moment is Pete at Rogers in Lincoln, NH. Plus, it's fun to see the ski mechanic on the hill, and buy him a beer at the Bunyon !

Last edited: