• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Cup

SkiDork

Wow, they're going the wrong way!

I've been trying to figure out how using instant replay to validate goals would work out in soccer. It seems like it would interrupt the flow of game too much, which is one of the good things about soccer, the game (and the clock) keep going.

thats why chip technology is better

bvibert

Staff member
they put a sensor in the goal plane and the ball has a chip in it. If the ball crosses the plane it sounds an alarm

That's not the issue at hand, the most prevalent problem that I've seen has been with off-sides. Whether it's been a player that was called for off-sides when they weren't, disqualifying a legit goal, or a player being off-sides and the ref missing it, meaning a goal was counted that shouldn't have been.

wa-loaf

That's not the issue at hand, the most prevalent problem that I've seen has been with off-sides. Whether it's been a player that was called for off-sides when they weren't, disqualifying a legit goal, or a player being off-sides and the ref missing it, meaning a goal was counted that shouldn't have been.

oh yeh. it'll only work for goals. Off sides needs replay

I guess there's a ref who's only job is manage the substitutions (which hardly happen) on the sideline. I was listening to a sports show and it was suggested that to maintain the flow of play, this ref could simply review the call while the game continues and make a change if necessary. Thus avoiding time-outs for replays.

snowmonster

I can understand the logic behind not showing controversial plays in the stadium screens. The last thing you want is a hostile crowd and soccer crowds aren't a bunch of choirboys. Besides, don't we have the same rule in football, baseball and basketball games here? My guess is that after this World Cup, FIFA will start moving towards having some sort of chip technology in the ball to see if it crossed the goal line or went out of touch. Getting offsides will be more difficult (not to mention fouls). I don't think they'll ever warm up to stopping the play to do a video review. Part of the game is running time and constant flow.

bvibert

Staff member
I guess there's a ref who's only job is manage the substitutions (which hardly happen) on the sideline. I was listening to a sports show and it was suggested that to maintain the flow of play, this ref could simply review the call while the game continues and make a change if necessary. Thus avoiding time-outs for replays.

It would have to be something like that, even still it would get a bit tricky.

bvibert

Staff member
I can understand the logic behind not showing controversial plays in the stadium screens. The last thing you want is a hostile crowd and soccer crowds aren't a bunch of choirboys. Besides, don't we have the same rule in football, baseball and basketball games here? My guess is that after this World Cup, FIFA will start moving towards having some sort of chip technology in the ball to see if it crossed the goal line or went out of touch. Getting offsides will be more difficult (not to mention fouls). I don't think they'll ever warm up to stopping the play to do a video review. Part of the game is running time and constant flow.

I can definitely see your point about not showing it in the stands I suppose. No need to incite any more riots than normal. I also think you're right about them not stopping play to do a video review, I wouldn't want to see that happen anyway. If they were going to do it they would have to find a way to keep the action moving, like wa-loaf suggested.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Or they could get rid of the off sides. That would make the games much much better.

this I agree with. I make the same anolgy I always make with football. Offsides in Soccer would be like telling a WR in football that they can't run past the safeties.

I can understand how some might not like the 'long ball' where theoretically, a goalie could just kick the ball as far as he could to a streaking forward. Perhaps just limit make that only possible once half field is crossed.

The goal in contention for Argentina while offsides was still a fantastic play. Wasn't 'cherry picking' so to speak.

snowmonster

^ It's more like allowing the WR to line up behind the defensive line so he has a few extra steps on the defense. The better analogy would be getting rid of offside in hockey. The center could just camp beside the goal and wait for long passes. That's actually the rationale beside the offside in soccer: to prevent the opposing team from just camping beside the goal. I would not get rid of the offside rule in soccer. As a defenseman, it's actually a weapon against the offense and allows you to shorten the field on attack.

deadheadskier

Staff member
maybe a better solution would be to add an additional line on the field and disallow two line passes as an offsides rule like hoskey? I just feel that in order for the game to gain popularity in the states, additional scoring chances are needed. I look at the play in the Argentina vs. Mexico game with the passing and shooting player being so close to the goal, it would make sense to me to consider that a legitimate play.

2knees

maybe a better solution would be to add an additional line on the field and disallow two line passes as an offsides rule like hoskey? I just feel that in order for the game to gain popularity in the states, additional scoring chances are needed. I look at the play in the Argentina vs. Mexico game with the passing and shooting player being so close to the goal, it would make sense to me to consider that a legitimate play.

Its funny when we try to take a game that has worldwide appeal and massive popularity and declare the changes neccessary to suit our tastes. Seems to me, the game is just fine and really doesnt need to be "Americanized".

This isn't pointed directly at you DHS, its just that the sentiment of more scoring/altering the game comes up a ton on sports radio, cooler talk etc. At times it makes us seem arrogant and self absorbed as a nation.

wait, we are......:lol:

ctenidae

Its funny when we try to take a game that has worldwide appeal and massive popularity and declare the changes neccessary to suit our tastes. Seems to me, the game is just fine and really doesnt need to be "Americanized".

That's a good point, there.

JimG.

Staff member
^ It's more like allowing the WR to line up behind the defensive line so he has a few extra steps on the defense. The better analogy would be getting rid of offside in hockey. The center could just camp beside the goal and wait for long passes. That's actually the rationale beside the offside in soccer: to prevent the opposing team from just camping beside the goal. I would not get rid of the offside rule in soccer. As a defenseman, it's actually a weapon against the offense and allows you to shorten the field on attack.

Totally agree...getting rid of the offsides would really cheapen the game.

My boys have played a few teams with superb offside traps on defense. Those teams are the toughest to play against because all offensive threats have to be more possession attacks. Long passes to the inside or flanks play right into that defensive strategy.

JimG.

Staff member

This isn't pointed directly at you DHS, its just that the sentiment of more scoring/altering the game comes up a ton on sports radio, cooler talk etc. At times it makes us seem arrogant and self absorbed as a nation.

wait, we are......:lol:

Agree here too.