• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2011 Jetta

wa-loaf

Has got to be the dullest VW ever:
35427_10150197121370790_169890760789_13093225_1335167_n.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Their cars have been becoming more and more cookie cutter with each new platform lately. IMHO.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Looks good to me!!! I think the Jetta has historically been a very ugly car. This steps away from all the things that have made past Jettas ugly, IMO. Dull perhaps. Looks like everything else perhaps. But not ugly for sure. Things that look different 9/10 look ugly. Slap a TDi on that thing and I say I would hit that, big time!

Don't matter much to me though... I am pretty much sold on the SportWagen for a 2011 purchase.

Geoff

I prefer the hatchback model. Other than my first car that was a family hand-me-down, everything I've ever owned has had some kind of rear lift gate. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would ever want a sedan.

In Germany, the Bora is the retiree car the way a Crown Vic or Avalon is in the US.

That MK VI sedan has that gawdawful Chris Bangle BMW look I can't stand.

bvibert

Staff member
I thought it looked kind of BMW like as well. I'm with you on the hatch, I love my wagon! I see no point in getting a sedan anytime soon.

Philpug

VW wants to "americanize" the Jetta by making it bigger i.e supersizing it. This is like what Subaru did with the Legacy too. Size went up and price came down which means the car will come with less equipment and/or the quality of materials will go down. This will be the first Jetta that didn't share the platform with the Golf. I am glad I got my TDI now and didn't wait.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like it a lot better than the 2010. I really don't care for the front end of 2010, especially the chrome around the grill.

jetta.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
DHS, you are killing me! Did you have to source a pic of that ugly beast! The 2010 Jetta, not the Audi. ;)

VW wants to "americanize" the Jetta by making it bigger i.e supersizing it. This is like what Subaru did with the Legacy too. Size went up and price came down which means the car will come with less equipment and/or the quality of materials will go down. This will be the first Jetta that didn't share the platform with the Golf. I am glad I got my TDI now and didn't wait.
VW already did that as seen with the pic DHS sourced. Is the 2011 Jetta going to be that much bigger than the past model? The pic above looks pretty similar in size. Maybe a touch longer looking? I like smaller sized cars and don't care for the major upscaling trend of autos, but the older boxier Jettas actually always seemed to small to my eye. Maybe it was the box on wheels look that made them look small to my eye. Icky boxy designs, yuck.

All companies have done this, not just Subi. Subi was just the last to do it and did it more so than most companies had previously, upscaling every single vehicle in their fleet one full size so that everyone one of their current generation cars looks like one vehicle size larger than the past generation (perhaps excepting the Impreza Wagon--Subi lost anything close to the size of the old Legacy Wagon).

The new Golf looks hot as well, IMO. I think VW is on a roll, personally. If we didn't need the space, I would be all over the new Golf. Honestly, I have NEVER been a fan of WV's and never thought of considering them. Between the new designs and the TDI options, the brand has really grown on me.