• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fathers Day Rip @ Nepaug State Forest - 2010-06-20

WoodCore

Met up with Bvibert around 10am in the parking area for the Nepaug State Forest and we promptly geared up and put tires to dirt. We had both decided to ride somewhere different today and having only pedal these trails once before I seized at the opportunity to spice up my riding with some new scenery and some new challenges. There was plenty of both here for sure. The riding at Nepaug is, in a nut shell, very technical, physically demanding and requires ample strength, stamina, balance and most importantanly a set of balls. There's an abundance of short to medium length techincal climbs with roots and rocks galore and just as many hairball descents that you can't second guess. We only managed to ride a little over 7 miles today (felt more like 15+) but climbed an impressive 1900 feet.

Here's our track....

http://www.crankfire.com/gps/track/8885/fathers_day_loop_2010

Despite the technical nature of the trails at Nepaug there is also some really sweet sections of flowy single track that are just a pleasure to ride and really make the loop worthwhile despite all the climbing and oh, forgot to mention all the stunts! If that's you sort of thing then this is your place. Basically from what I saw out in the woods today, you can go as big as you want!

Here's some pictures....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Enjoy!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Very cool! B took me there once but we mostly stuck to the fire roads due to my lack of balls. :lol: Definitely a playground for those who have them! So did either of you fine gentlemen get some air like that last dude? ;)

MR. evil

Did either of you guys ride the ladders over the bug? I need to get back to Nepaug soon.

bvibert

Staff member
Great ride today Woodcore! Sorry we took a wrong turn and missed out on some riding, next time we'll get the hang of it. I'd really like to add a few more miles onto the loop.

There's definitely a lot of crazy stuff in there, and you didn't even get to see some of the craziest.

Did either of you guys ride the ladders over the bug? I need to get back to Nepaug soon.

Not today. I've ridden it a few times in the past though. There was a couple sections that are getting a little sketchy, it needs some work. I rigged up a pseudo support under one section, but it wasn't enough to make me want to try it out.

+1 Thanks for the report and pics. Looks awesome! Glad you guys got to enjoy the day. Hopefully it was a beautiful down there as it was up here.

It was a nice day today, but it go REALLY humid. I don't think I've sweat that much on any other ride this year.

o3jeff

I wish I could of made this, but had a brunch for fathers day at that time. Really want to get back there to try hitting some more of the jumps there. Did you guys hit the deli cutter jumps?

bvibert

Staff member
I wish I could of made this, but had a brunch for fathers day at that time. Really want to get back there to try hitting some more of the jumps there. Did you guys hit the deli cutter jumps?

I rode right by the deli slicer jumps with authority. 8)

2knees

I havent been logging on much anymore but if you guys are planning on heading back, someone call me or shoot me an email. I want to have another go at this place. there were a some hits i left on the table from a few years ago i'd like to try.

bvibert

Staff member
I havent been logging on much anymore but if you guys are planning on heading back, someone call me or shoot me an email. I want to have another go at this place. there were a some hits i left on the table from a few years ago i'd like to try.

Will do! I want to go back there soon...

MR. evil

Im down for this too. How about this Sunday

o3jeff

Im down for this too. How about this Sunday

Knees, let us know when you can ride and we'll be there.

MR. evil

Should've hit them. They're fun.

The gap jumps, however, are insane. Flight simulator = completely nuts.

The first 3 on D.S. are real fun, don't like te last one so much. Not keen on the approach and almost ate it big time off that one a couple of years ago. Flight simulator is crazy and the other one that's nuts I'm pretty sure they call Penile Envy.

I've pretty much only seen the stuff right off the main loop. I would love to get a tour and check out some of the crazy stuff I've seen online.....I won't hit that stuff, just want to check it out.

bvibert

Staff member
Should've hit them. They're fun.

The gap jumps, however, are insane. Flight simulator = completely nuts.

I've hit one or two of them before, I'm more of a wheels on the ground kind of guy though.

mondeo

The first 3 on D.S. are real fun, don't like te last one so much. Not keen on the approach and almost ate it big time off that one a couple of years ago. Flight simulator is crazy and the other one that's nuts I'm pretty sure they call Penile Envy.

I've pretty much only seen the stuff right off the main loop. I would love to get a tour and check out some of the crazy stuff I've seen online.....I won't hit that stuff, just want to check it out.
Not sure if you've been there this year, I guess everything's bigger now by about 3 feet. What used to be a single gap (I think at the end of D.S., I know it was fairly soon after we went through there) got turned into 3 consecutive gaps, with the existing one growing. Flight simulator's been turned into a gap jump. Other stuff like that.

Definitely my type of riding though, the stuff we did was fast, not really rocky, and tons of hits. When I go FS, it'll probably be a freeride bike.

Trev

I'm in for a rip up here.

Yodel when your(anyone) going.

Moving this weekend so, game off Sat and Sun.