• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

5k Advise

HD333

Looking for some free advise.

A group of about 10 of us are running a 5k on Wed for a local charity.

I do not run. I do not like running. I am 6 feet 210 lbs . My body is not made for it. I have been riding the MTB and doing some cardio at the gym (elyptical) and am overall a fairly healthy guy.

I know a 5k isn't much but anybody have any sound advise on how I can finish this thing with my dignity intact? As of now my stategy is to pick a guy who is bigger than me and pace myself off of him, of course I plan to turn it on at the end and cross the line like I just won a gold medal.

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You don't run at all normally? This could be draining for you. Not to say it can't be done if you're physically fit, but you will hurt the next day and could hurt yourself on the run. Go easy, don't push too hard, and sometimes pain isn't something you push through. Keep well-hydrated. Fuel before the run with something like a banana; something easily digestible.

BTW, you're not especially large for a runner. Just not experienced. There are Clydesdale and Athena categories for non-stereotypical runners. It can be done if you had any interest in it. You just have to make sure you have supportive shoes that are right for your feet (like ski boots) and that you gradually increase mileage, just like anyone else. Hal Higdon is one online resource. Couch to 5K is another if you had any interest in doing this again and gradually getting into it instead of jumping in.

Good luck!

wa-loaf

Just take your time, most people are just in it for the fun. A little practice might have helped, but most reasonably in shape people can survive a 3 mile run ...

SkiDork

my best advice:

DONT START OUT FAST!!!

DON"T get sucked up by the crowd and go out fast. No shame in dropping to the back at first.

If you can start out nice and slow, a slow jogging pace, for the 1st mile, then you can gradually increase your pace as you go along after that.

If you go out fast you'll feel good for 1/4 mile and then you'll die for the rest of the race.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
In addition to the above: focus on good breathing and a smooth, efficient stride. Keep your upper body quiet just like good skiing and make sure your foot is landing beneath you and not out in front. This will make your muscles work less for a given pace. Most courses are marked for mileage; save a little and up pace the last 1/2 - 1 mile. Definitely avoid going out too hard.

HD333

Thanks guys.

My take aways:

Start slow, gradually increase pace if I can/feel OK.
Get a good breathing rythm going.
Have cab # programed in phone.

Root-
The drinking heavily will be my reward, I will have to catch up to those who finished well ahead of me, the wife included.

Thanks guys I will post my results.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks guys.

My take aways:

Start slow, gradually increase pace if I can/feel OK.
Get a good breathing rythm going.
Have cab # programed in phone.

Root-
The drinking heavily will be my reward, I will have to catch up to those who finished well ahead of me, the wife included.

Thanks guys I will post my results.

Variation on the cab: after you're out of sight of the start line, cut out to a waiting cab. Have the cab drive you within 1/4 mile of the finish, wait for the leaders to pass, cut back in. Hell, they do it in the Boston Marathon! :beer:

HD333

Wayside Raquet Club in Marlborough.

Taunting I do not need I am going to get enough greif from the group we are doing this with. I never should have agreed to this.

drjeff

my best advice:

DONT START OUT FAST!!!

DON"T get sucked up by the crowd and go out fast. No shame in dropping to the back at first.

If you can start out nice and slow, a slow jogging pace, for the 1st mile, then you can gradually increase your pace as you go along after that.

If you go out fast you'll feel good for 1/4 mile and then you'll die for the rest of the race.

GOOD ADVICE from SkiDork!

5k, for most folks that aren't regular runners might take as short as 27 minutes (9ish minute miles) but more like 30 to maybe 33 minutes. So kind of go into the race with the mentality of a 30ish minute eliptical and/or mtb session - go out to fast, especially since it's likely to be a bit warm this week, and the last 1/2-1/3rd of the race it will feel like you'll have 2 legs made of concrete :eek: Fluids/nutrition before the race, do basically what you'd do before an elipitical and/or mtb session. Too much/tooo soon to race time and you risk belly issues :eek: Plus, for a 5k, the vast majority of folks, won't need anything other than a small bit of water just before the race, as long as you hydrated a couple of hours pre-race.

The idea of pacing yourself off another runner might work *if* you have the same/more stamina as that person, so if you feel comfortable with the pacer's speed, go for it, if you're feeling the hurt soon after, then let that person go, you'll be much bettter for it at the end of the race.

Bottomline just have fun, since no matter how the race goes, post races beers always taste really good! :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
1 mile can be tough enough when you are first starting out running. From not running to 5k in two days is going to be difficult to do. I would think jogging extremely slowly would be your best option, maybe even some fast walking. Plan on breaking up your running with walking during the 5k. i would think couch to 5k in two days running without walking might be physically impossible for most people. When I start running each year, my first day is a 1/2 mile at most.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yup, slow is the way to go.

running is a whole different animal than other forms of exercise. I've been working hard at the gym for the past couple of months; most weeks 45 minutes five days a week on the elyptical and 15 minutes on the stairmaster after.

A week ago Sunday I decided to run on the treadmill. I did 3 miles no problem. Then I was a cripple for two days. Had it been on pavement/dirt, I'm sure I would've been a cripple for 4 days.

mondeo

Repeating some stuff, some obvious:

Listen to your body. Muscle burn is fine, tendon/ligament pain is bad. I sometimes have some very mild discomfort in my ankles/knees for the first mile, but after I'm warmed up it's fine. Stretch afterward, apparently there's debate over stretching before. Warm up some before the run - walk fast and ramp up over a few minutes to a light run. Don't be afraid to walk every now and then during the run. Make sure you have good shoes. Easier to push at the end than recover after going to fast.

tjf67

Go slow and dont stop. It will be 30 to 40 minutes and then beer o'clcok. when you want to start walking don't its almost over.

SKIQUATTRO

find the one with the nicest toosh and follow...has gotten me thru many a marathon...