• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

University of Maine Trails 6/22

BackLoafRiver

Finally got a chance to check out more of the East side University trails. Rode with my friend who lives 200 yards from the entrance. He looked at his wife and said, "we're gonna be a few hours", and that was that.

Got on the trail head around 4:00. As I mentioned before, there isn't much of a map...you just need to explore. Several times we found some singletrack that seemed to just appear, we would follow it for a few minutes to its abrupt end. At one point, we ended up at a bridge that was impossible to hit from our approach but easier on the way back that lead to 5 more minutes of trail only to just...end. Suck.

When we did find the goods, it was great. Real awesome stuff. One section was just some great burned in track that, after a few miles, dropped us into the back of a Dunkin' Donuts. We had to turn around and keep exploring. There are so many random trails that you can find, we could spend weeks and not cover it all. New trails are popping up all the time. We started down one section that probably only a handful of guys had ever ridden. It ended at a pile of tools where the trail builder had just left them so he could pick up working where he left off. Very cool.

I know a ton of people ride it but, until yesterday, never saw anyone else out there. We bumped into a couple guys who were absolutely tearing it up. Fast and technical. Real good riders. It was a lot like watching guys rip some twisty turny classic New England ski trail. Inspiring to say the least.

By the time all was said and done, we had gone just about 11 miles.

Here is the track: http://rnkpr.com/a6y80f As you can see, tons of doubling back due to the trail ending. Our pace was a lot slower than I like to ride but a lot had to do with random exploring.

Btw...thanks for getting me using Runkeeper Jens. It's great. Still no pro version for Android so I couldn't geotag the photos.

Here are a few shots:

Signage:
DSC01084.jpg

Awesomeness:
DSC01081.jpg

A Bridge that lead to nowhere:
DSC01082.jpg

DSC01085.jpg

The pines:
DSC01086.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Too bad about all the apparent dead end trails. Looks like a lot of fun otherwise.

BackLoafRiver

Thanks. Yeah, once we learn our way, I am sure there are many ways to get some flow going. I am looking forward to getting back there Tuesday.

bvibert

Staff member
Most of those deadend trails probably went somewhere at some point. It might be kind of fun to go in a try to 'rediscover' them sometime...

BackLoafRiver

Absolutely! One in particular looks quite promising. It would be cool to go on a ride with a few of the guys in the Orono LBS to see what they know.