• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roadie or MTB?

Greg

Staff member
I haven't done it much in the past few years, but I'm a mountain biker.

SKIQUATTRO

Spring/Fall-- more mountain than road
Summer--road only. I hate the woods in the summer with the bugs, ivy etc

djspookman

Both for me, although I prefer mountain biking. Mainly because I have to ride my XC bike on the road to go for a road ride.. ugh! Gotta love road riding for great cross training though!

dave

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Both.

I used to be only an ATB'er, when I only had money for one bike. And the choice was clear. You can ride a mountain bike on the road, but doing the opposite is tough. And all my friends were into mountain biking.

I started getting into road biking not long after I bought my mountain bike. I purchased two 26" slicks, that I still have to this day. I did a road ride every now and then, but with one wheel set it was a PITA to change tires.

I bought a nice new wheelset (and a new fork) for my GT Rebound my freshman year in college. I rode almost 1000 miles the winter of '00/'01, although I started skiing that year so subsequent winters I haven't ridden much.

The more I miles I logged, the larger percentage became road miles simply for convenience. One is almost always closer to a road than a trail head. I rode a lot to school from Auburn and so forth. I started following bike racing when Lance started winning TdF's and by last summer, when I had money, I finally had to go out and buy a road bike.

Now I do both, I've found a happy medium, although more road simply because I feel much more comfortable doing a solo ride on the road than in the woods.

skibum1321

I'm a mountain man but I just bought my first road bike so I guess now I would officially be both.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Mtn. Bike. There are 3 really fun areas of trails within 12 minutes of my house...and one about 25 mins that is really great. I've been riding all winter long. As long as there isn't more than about 2-3" of snow...no problem. My frequency dips in winter to just about one (sometimes two) ride(s) per week. During the warmer months, when there is more daylight, i'm usually riding 4-6 days.

Charlie Schuessler

I find mixing it up is helpful and keeps bicycling interesting. In the winter months, indoor cycling I'm on my road bicycle on a fluid trainer. During March into April, late October through early December I'm primarily on the MTB riding on back/dirt roads or in the woods (sometimes in the fall we're dodging hunters). The rest of the year I'm on the road bicycle 3-5 days a week with the other day or two in the woods on the MTB...

Last edited: