• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

mondeo

Sounds like AT&T is going to keep the 3Gs as a free option (with contract) for those of you wanting to save a buck.
Hooray for a two year old phone for free!

Oh wait, my phone was all of 6 months old when I got it for free. And I'm not funding the terrorists by buying it.

wa-loaf

So, it's like the speech recognition feature in WP7?

I've been underwhelmed by iOS 5. Seems like it's just a bunch of feature additions to catch up in various respects to Android, WP7, and BB.

That video is 2 years old before Apple bought the company, so who knows what's changed since. But really I don't even like talking on my phone let alone talking to it. So speech stuff for me is Meh.

wa-loaf

And I'm not funding the terrorists by buying it.

Terrorists? China and Brazil maybe, don't know anything about a terrorist connection. All these companies share the same suppliers for the most part.

wa-loaf

Wow, sell 30.5 million units, they will probably let me renew my contract early just to sell one!

If the iPhone 5 part is true, they'll get me to switch. Hows the reception up in the hills?

o3jeff

If the iPhone 5 part is true, they'll get me to switch. Hows the reception up in the hills?

It worked at the loaf!, I have no real issues with them and for $70 a month for unlimited data, texts, off peak calling and unlimited calling to any mobile phone it works pretty good for me.

mondeo

Terrorists? China and Brazil maybe, don't know anything about a terrorist connection. All these companies share the same suppliers for the most part.
Apple is the largest terrorist organisation in the world. They scare you into buying their products.

mondeo

Wow, sell 30.5 million units, they will probably let me renew my contract early just to sell one!
There were 45.5 million smartphones total in the US in early 2010, with Apple currently taking 28% of that. So in total, there are around 15 million iPhones in the US right now. Assume 2/user* over 4 years, and Sprint would, without growth*, have to take the entire iPhone market over that time period to sell out. Sprint selling 30.5 million phones in 4 years is ridiculous. Although the $20bn number is also inflated, $649/phone is the cost to the consumer not to Sprint.

Incidentally, Sprint is down 7.73% today. I wonder if there's a link...

wa-loaf

No, that's a conditioned response driven into you by Apple.

Nah, it's Microsoft and Dell and even with all the fancy antivirus stuff my work puts on my laptop it still got wiped out by something last week. My Macbook takes me to much seedier places than my work computer with no issues.

o3jeff

There were 45.5 million smartphones total in the US in early 2010, with Apple currently taking 28% of that. So in total, there are around 15 million iPhones in the US right now. Assume 2/user* over 4 years, and Sprint would, without growth*, have to take the entire iPhone market over that time period to sell out. Sprint selling 30.5 million phones in 4 years is ridiculous. Although the $20bn number is also inflated, $649/phone is the cost to the consumer not to Sprint.

Incidentally, Sprint is down 7.73% today. I wonder if there's a link...

???? Is your 15 million figure based on what is sitting on store shelfs unsold? This is saying a lot more sold than your figure too. 55 million this year so far. Seeing how those numbers almost double each year, it may not be too far fetched for them to sell 30.5 million in 4 years(little over 7.5 million a year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IPhone_sales_per_quarter_simple.svg

bvibert

Staff member
I heard the new iPhone was only going to be available in neon green. Has that been covered yet?

mondeo

???? Is your 15 million figure based on what is sitting on store shelfs unsold? This is saying a lot more sold than your figure too. 55 million this year so far. Seeing how those numbers almost double each year, it may not be too far fetched for them to sell 30.5 million in 4 years(little over 7.5 million a year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IPhone_sales_per_quarter_simple.svg
Those are global sales, Sprint is only looking at the US market. The high end smartphone market in the US is reaching saturation, all the growth is in mid-range Androids at this point. MAYBE Apple increases the number of devices to 20 million in the US. That's probably a stretch. There are some people that will turn over devices more quickly than every 2 years, due to damage/loss, iDiots who need the newest version even if it's because it's white now, 18 month renewal on a 2 year contract, whatever. So optimistically, the US market for iPhones could reach 60 million over the next 4 years. Maybe. Probably not. But even then, Sprint's stuck needing to get half of the iPhone market, and they're coming from a position of being the distant third and already are losing money. The WiMax iPhone makes absolutely no sense given the pending switch to LTE, which effectively drops Sprint to the back of the pack in regards to 4G despite being the first mover. So they won't even have that to brag about.

It's a no-win for Sprint. If they were smart they'd hitch their horse to Nokia, there they might have a chance with much lower risk.

bvibert

Staff member
Those are global sales, Sprint is only looking at the US market. The high end smartphone market in the US is reaching saturation, all the growth is in mid-range Androids at this point. MAYBE Apple increases the number of devices to 20 million in the US. That's probably a stretch. There are some people that will turn over devices more quickly than every 2 years, due to damage/loss, iDiots who need the newest version even if it's because it's white now, 18 month renewal on a 2 year contract, whatever. So optimistically, the US market for iPhones could reach 60 million over the next 4 years. Maybe. Probably not. But even then, Sprint's stuck needing to get half of the iPhone market, and they're coming from a position of being the distant third and already are losing money. The WiMax iPhone makes absolutely no sense given the pending switch to LTE, which effectively drops Sprint to the back of the pack in regards to 4G despite being the first mover. So they won't even have that to brag about.

It's a no-win for Sprint. If they were smart they'd hitch their horse to Nokia, there they might have a chance with much lower risk.
It's largely being reported that it's already a done deal. I even read somewhere that the Sprint logo appeared on Apple's website in the midst of today's press conference.