• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

o3jeff

Was talking to a guy on a plane yesterday that said he saw a sneak preview of a Droid Pad.. Said it was cobbled together but seriously cool... He was a another Apple hater because of the Flash thing. But he did agree that Flash was heavy and is easily replaced by HTML5. Wich is light and free..

Considering how long it has been out, they are putting out some quality stuff. I ended up with the Evo on Sprint and have no regrets

dmc

Considering how long it has been out, they are putting out some quality stuff. I ended up with the Evo on Sprint and have no regrets

YEah - I was drooling over one the other day..

If I wasn't locked into the Iphone for work - I'd consider it. Another problem is I have a considerable investment in Apple with ITunes and all the APPs...

wa-loaf

Looks like Apple is hiring a few Antenna Engineers:
102802-antenna_job_listings.jpg

:lol:

wa-loaf

o3jeff

Who ever takes on the iphone next is going to have the same growing pains like att did of not knowing how data hungry it is and how taxing it is on a network. With all the people just waiting to jump ship on att to who ever gets it next I can only imagine that many new people on a network will not be good.

bvibert

Staff member
Who ever takes on the iphone next is going to have the same growing pains like att did of not knowing how data hungry it is and how taxing it is on a network. With all the people just waiting to jump ship on att to who ever gets it next I can only imagine that many new people on a network will not be good.

Good point. I just went from not caring if Verizon got the iPhone to not wanting them to.

Personally I don't think they'll ever get it anyway.

drjeff

Good point. I just went from not caring if Verizon got the iPhone to not wanting them to.

Personally I don't think they'll ever get it anyway.

There's a decent chance that they won't want to- seeing what problems AT&T is having with it and how it taxes network capacity + them(Verizon) phone options/capabilities as good(if not better) than the iPhone + Verizon isn't exactly hurting financially + I'd bet that AT&T will make a big offer to keep the exclusive agreement with Apple.

Going to see what happens with the iPhone4 as I guess that there's a class action lawsuit being filed against by Apple and AT&T about the problems related to the antenna/reception plus general network capacity issues and false advertising. Will it go anywhere?? Who knows. But between Steve Job's debuting of the iPhone4 and it's WiFi issues on the stage, to the crashing of the network during online pre-orders, to the antenna/reception issues, the launch of the iPhone4 hasn't exactly been as smooth as i'm sure they were expecting. Profitable, yup! Smooth, not so much

bvibert

Staff member
There's a decent chance that they won't want to- seeing what problems AT&T is having with it and how it taxes network capacity + them(Verizon) phone options/capabilities as good(if not better) than the iPhone + Verizon isn't exactly hurting financially

Yeah, that's part of why I don't think Verizon will ever get the iPhone, they probably don't want it. I'm sure more and more people are going to figure out that iPhone isn't the only game in town, it's mostly an image thing at this point.

Glenn

I love smartphones. My wife and I have BB 9700's now and they're great. The iPhone and the Driod phones do a lot of cool things as well.

The elephant in the room here is data. These phones can use a boatload of it. My wife and I will both stream internet radio over our phones (and podcasts for me). We use about 400-600megs a month of data. Which in the big pic, isn't all that bad. Having wifi really helps take off the load; especially when streaming.

Now, AT&T just switched away from their "unlimited" which really wasn't unlimited. I see other carriers following that soon.

So you've got phones that consumer more data than ever, and carriers that are now charging for that. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
This is why we don't have these phones or data plans. It gets costly quickly. I'm stuck in the texting age... and I have an iPod Touch that I use with wi-fi for the cool gadgets instead.

WJenness

I'm up for renewal on my phone (Verizon)...

I'm leaning towards the Droid X which comes out in a couple of weeks...

I saw the Verizon + iPhone rumor the other day and it made me think about holding out...

But A: I don't think my old phone will make it too much longer and B: The Android phones are seriously cool...

If only the Droid X didn't have the strange form factor, I'd be totally sold...

-w

wa-loaf

Going to see what happens with the iPhone4 as I guess that there's a class action lawsuit being filed against by Apple and AT&T about the problems related to the antenna/reception plus general network capacity issues and false advertising. Will it go anywhere?? Who knows.

They'll have hard time with that one. All cell phones loose signal strength when you hold them in certain spots. It's a little worse with the iPhone4, but worthy of a class action?

Lots of info on the construction and performance of the antenna here for anyone who is really interested: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

skijay

If an iPhone's virtual keyboard is the same on my iPod touch that is the reason why I would not buy one. I like the iPod for the "music portion", but can not really say I am a fan of it. The iPod touch is an iPhone without a phone and a camera. If I want to do an email, it is easier using my Samsung Alias 2 or just use the Macbook. One of the reasons why I did the iPod touch was to cxl an XM subscription and use the app and pay the $3.99 monthly. It works for that!

BackLoafRiver

I'm up for renewal on my phone (Verizon)...

I'm leaning towards the Droid X which comes out in a couple of weeks...

I saw the Verizon + iPhone rumor the other day and it made me think about holding out...

But A: I don't think my old phone will make it too much longer and B: The Android phones are seriously cool...

If only the Droid X didn't have the strange form factor, I'd be totally sold...

-w

The Droid X looks great and is getting excellent reviews. I want to go hands on to see if it is using that Motoblur UI everyone talks about. The screen is supposedly GORGEOUS and with a 1ghz processor, it is fast.

I have had the original droid since launch. I have fallen in love with the OS. It does everything I want it to and more. Not to mention the coverage is ridiculous.

As for Verizon carrying the iphone....this rumor has been around for a long time. Some people thought they would announce it at this years WWDC. Obviously no go. I would say that whichever carrier inherits the Apple contract, they have made a LOT of notes and are going to avoid all the issues AT&T went/ are going through.

SkiDork

Question for those in the know. What is the minimum monthly fee (excluding taxes of course) you need to pay for a Droid from Verizon?

bvibert

Staff member
Question for those in the know. What is the minimum monthly fee (excluding taxes of course) you need to pay for a Droid from Verizon?

It's about $70/mo, not counting the initial purchase price of the phone.