• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

MR. evil

That's the only reason that I don't currently have a smart-phone.

They are totally worth the extra $$. I would be lost without my iPhone. We cancelled our home land line to offset the cost. We were paying $60 a month for home phone service when everyone just called our cells anyway.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
They are totally worth the extra $$. I would be lost without my iPhone. We cancelled our home land line to offset the cost. We were paying $60 a month for home phone service when everyone just called our cells anyway.

That's why I said we'd cancel the landline if we got smartphones. Though our savings would only be about $40 on the landline, so it's still more money for both of us to have smartphones.

Geoff

I went the opposite direction. I'd been exclusively on cell phones for about 5 years. When I started telecommuting last September, I had to get a land line to get better voice quality for all the conference calls.

SkiDork

I agree, cancelling the land line is the only way to go to higher cost cell service. Or maybe switching to VOIP and keeping my number which I've had for 20 years

MR. evil

+ 1 Totally worth it. I was a firm believer that these phones were not worth it. Now I would not have it any other way. Email, web, gps, music, sports updates, newspapers, etc...make it worth it IMHO.

Moto Droid by the way.

My wife got an iPhone when it first came out, and for almost 2 years I was against these types of phones. I finally got an iPhone when my contract was up and I also needed a new iPod, seemed like a no brained. Now I don't know what I would do without one.

bvibert

Staff member

I'm sure they're worth it, and I definitely want one, it's just not in the budget right now with Carrie in school and 4 mouths to feed. Canceling the land line would help offset it a bit, but like Carrie pointed out it wouldn't cover the whole difference. We also have DSL, which needs to have the land line the last time I checked, I'm not really all that interested in switching providers right now...

MR. evil

I'm sure they're worth it, and I definitely want one, it's just not in the budget right now with Carrie in school and 4 mouths to feed. Canceling the land line would help offset it a bit, but like Carrie pointed out it wouldn't cover the whole difference. We also have DSL, which needs to have the land line the last time I checked, I'm not really all that interested in switching providers right now...

I have verizon DSL who was also our phone provider. It was not a problem canceling the phone portion of the service and keeping the DSL.

Geoff

I agree, cancelling the land line is the only way to go to higher cost cell service. Or maybe switching to VOIP and keeping my number which I've had for 20 years

Beware: If you port your number to a VoIP service provider, it's often a real challenge trying to port it back out.

bvibert

Staff member
I have verizon DSL who was also our phone provider. It was not a problem canceling the phone portion of the service and keeping the DSL.

Looks like ATT offers that now too, but it costs more per month.

SkiDork

Beware: If you port your number to a VoIP service provider, it's often a real challenge trying to port it back out.

I've actually already done that. I ported it to Packet8 about 5 years ago, the DSL was flaky at the time so after about a year I switched back to Verizon land line and got it ported back. Wasn't that difficult.

WJenness

Ugh... if Verizon would just put the damn Droid X up on the site for Pre-order I'd do it already...

It seems they want me to go stand in line forever in a couple weeks.

-w

Glenn

yeah thats what I thought. I little difficult to justify the extra $30 per month...

I had the same issue at first...but once we got the BB's..... I've had maps get me places, I not longer listen to broadcast radio, e-mail is really handy, I use Poynt to find things in cities I've never been too, weather, weather alerts...I could go on. Sounds cheezy, but I don't know how I lived without the darn thing.

Glenn

Call up SNET....errrr, AT&T and see what they can do. I had called earlier this year to nix the land line and go DSL only. They offer a stand alone DSL package. it was actually cheaper to keep the phone (bare bones here...no long distance, no local just a basic dial tone) and have DSL than it was to have DSL only.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I had the same issue at first...but once we got the BB's..... I've had maps get me places, I not longer listen to broadcast radio, e-mail is really handy, I use Poynt to find things in cities I've never been too, weather, weather alerts...I could go on. Sounds cheezy, but I don't know how I lived without the darn thing.

I have a GPS, I have the iPod Touch that I use wifi, B has Sirius... seems redundant to pay extra for things we already have.

dmc

But the convenience of having everything in one device!

Thats really what I love about smart phones...

One of my favorite things on my IPhone is the MLB app.. I got the premier app so I can watch games on the IPhone... Even works with a cell signal.

I've been in airports watching games with people looking over my shoulder.. :)

MR. evil

Randi picked up her iPhone 4G last night, it's pretty slick. I will probably get one In a month or two