• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

dmc

My IPhone 4 for work just arrived... Looks nice... Setting it up now..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Just picked up a LG Ally Android phone. Liking it so far...

And I went with a Palm Pre Plus. Yup, caved to the smartphone. Liking it so far, though the apps offered for the Palm are not as plentiful or nice as what I have on my iPod. Working on synching my iTunes library right now...

Glenn

bvib and sev,
Congrats! The addiction begins! Good luck with the new phones/toys.

WJenness

My phone is barely hanging on at this point... I've had to adopt a dance of removing the battery, plugging in the charger, putting the battery back in and then turning the phone on in order for it to boot.

Droid X comes out in three days...

-w

dmc

Day 3 with the new Iphone...

Love the battery life! And the front face camera.. Also takes great PIX and vides...
Seems to have a bit better reception.

bvibert

Staff member
My phone is barely hanging on at this point... I've had to adopt a dance of removing the battery, plugging in the charger, putting the battery back in and then turning the phone on in order for it to boot.

Droid X comes out in three days...

-w

Good luck with it holding on!

Let us know how you like the Droid X when you get it.

dmc

I was thinking that the problem might be easily fixed with a piece of clear tape, but I guess duct tape is way more core!

or you could do like many of us and but a cheap "bumper" to protect the side...

Still a great phone - Consumer Reports even rates it the best smart phone.. :roll::roll:

conrep.002.jpg

o3jeff

And I went with a Palm Pre Plus. Yup, caved to the smartphone. Liking it so far, though the apps offered for the Palm are not as plentiful or nice as what I have on my iPod. Working on synching my iTunes library right now...

What was your reasoning in choosing the Palm?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

#1 It is its own hotspot for no extra charge (Verizon was charging $40/month for this service prior). Helpful for when I'm out of the area and need to work on something for school as I often have to get online to do research and wifi isn't always available.

#2 Ease of use. The gestures are pretty cool and (once I was informed that it was operated with the gestures) I found it easier to navigate than the other smartphones I was considering (iPhone not being part of the equation since we decided not to switch to AT&T at this time).

#3 Slide out keyboard. Must, must, must for me--I don't really like virtual keyboards on something the size of a phone. On the iPad, it doesn't seem bad but I don't want to rely on a touchscreen for typing. The Palm Pre Plus's keyboard is sort of rubberized, too, which minimizes slippage onto wrong keys.

#4 Size/feel. Ergonomic. Comfortable in my hands and not too big/too small.

Last edited:

dmc

I bet there's a few guys in an office somewhere cheering someone bought one... :)

I was a Palm user(sounds bad) for over a decade..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I bet there's a few guys in an office somewhere cheering someone bought one... :)

I was a Palm user(sounds bad) for over a decade..
I didn't know it when I chose it, but I guess a lot of reviewers felt it is a real contender against iPhone and one of the best smartphones out there (battery life being the only real downside).

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/palm-pre-plus-verizon/4505-6452_7-33941250.html
(This first link has links to other reviews within it.)

http://gizmodo.com/5453043/palm-pre-plus-review

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16314&review=Verizon+Palm+Pre+Plus+webOS

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pre-Plus..._1_9?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1279044466&sr=8-9

Last edited:

dmc

I had 2 versions of the Handspring/Palm Trio - it was the shti back then... :) Also had Handspring and Palm PDAs..

I used a Trio until I smashed it snowboarding... And was forced to use a BBY for my old job...

drjeff

I had 2 versions of the Handspring/Palm Trio - it was the shti back then... :) Also had Handspring and Palm PDAs..

I used a Trio until I smashed it snowboarding... And was forced to use a BBY for my old job...

My wife was in LOVE with her trio, when she recently upgraded she stuck with Palm, trying to look for a software continuity kind of thing. I forgot the exact model of the Pre she got, but lets just say that she's not nearly as enamored with her Pre as she was with her trio. For just a pure data/e-mail machine, the trio was awesome back in its day.

Now, maybe under HP's guidance, Palm will be able to introduce a cutting edge product in the coming months/years that might be be able to help it gain back some of the market share that it once had - who knows?????