• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

o3jeff

The reason I asked was that I had a Palm Centro(my first smart phone) for a while and didn't much care for it. Once I replaced it with a BlackBerry I then realized what I was missing, got every email, fast, great battery life. I know when the Pre came out on Sprint a few years ago they tried to hype it up pretty good, but I think just didn't market it too well so it never took off for them.

When I was thinking of switching from the BB to the Evo, I was thinking I would hate the touch screen keyboard, when I got it I did since I was mis-typing everything, but then found that there is a program on the phone that has you type out a sentence and it recognizes/learns how you are touching the screen and now I am able to type on it just as quick as I was the BB!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The iPod touch does that, too, but it usually respells my words into the wrong stuff. :lol: I've had a few months to play around with the touchpad keyboard on that so it wasn't an entirely blind decision. I really like my iTouch and probably would have liked an iPhone but we weren't switching to AT&T just for that.

For $50 I can't complain. It's a nice phone, though I've only had it a couple days. You're right about the lack of marketing. The Verizon version is different than Sprint's Pre (some nice improvements) but I don't recall really hearing anything about it even though it's been out since January.

o3jeff

The iPod touch does that, too, but it usually respells my words into the wrong stuff. :lol: I've had a few months to play around with the touchpad keyboard on that so it wasn't an entirely blind decision. I really like my iTouch and probably would have liked an iPhone but we weren't switching to AT&T just for that.

For $50 I can't complain. It's a nice phone, though I've only had it a couple days.

At least if we don't have reception at the next Summit, we will all be using your phone as a hot spot!

Glenn

or you could do like many of us and but a cheap "bumper" to protect the side...

Still a great phone - Consumer Reports even rates it the best smart phone.. :roll::roll:

conrep.002.jpg

And in the same article rates it a "Don't Buy" due to the reception issues. Yet another reason that mag gets no love from me. How can you rate something high, then say "don't get it" or....tell people not to buy it...then rate it high????

On another note, I heard those rubber wrist bands will help with the "death grip". What a PR disaster that reception issue has become.

wa-loaf

Did you get the latest update? Wondering if it made a difference in the display of your bars.

dmc

Did you get the latest update? Wondering if it made a difference in the display of your bars.

I updated it this morning.. Not sure if I notice any difference.. I really didn't give it much thought until today because I use the case. It's been working fine in the places I'd expect it to.

bvibert

Staff member

bvibert

Staff member
Heh, well there's an argument for a phone with a regular ol' qwerty keyboard. A slider perhaps.

That's pretty much a requirement for me, I'm not a huge fan of on-screen keyboards. Although the virtual keyboard on my Ally has worked out okay the times I've opted to use it for quick inputs instead of sliding out the keyboard.

dmc

We live in such a a polarized society...
Even the choice of a smart phone is not safe from scrutiny from the other side..

insane...

Glenn

That's pretty much a requirement for me, I'm not a huge fan of on-screen keyboards. Although the virtual keyboard on my Ally has worked out okay the times I've opted to use it for quick inputs instead of sliding out the keyboard.

That is one thing I really like about the BlackBerry phones; the keyboard. The new slider they have coming out looks nice.

I'm sure touch screen keyboards will get better as the technology advances.

dmc

That is one thing I really like about the BlackBerry phones; the keyboard.

Had one on my old job - it was pretty nice to type out long emails.
Since only "execs" could get the fancier BBYs - I couldn't upgrade and that was fine because they all hated the keyboard on the more expensive phone..

It is nice to have a real keyboard when you need to type a lot on a mobile..
I try not to send big emails from my IPhone.. Only quick responses - so it's not an issue.

Geoff

Had one on my old job - it was pretty nice to type out long emails.
Since only "execs" could get the fancier BBYs - I couldn't upgrade and that was fine because they all hated the keyboard on the more expensive phone..

It is nice to have a real keyboard when you need to type a lot on a mobile..
I try not to send big emails from my IPhone.. Only quick responses - so it's not an issue.

I need more of a mobile email machine. If I'm goofing off^h^h^h^h^h^h^h away from my PC, I need to present myself in emails as if I were at my desk.

I'm willing to live with the limitations of a Blackberry Tour to get the keyboard. The web browser and music man-machine interface really does suck. In a perfect universe, I'd have an iPhone with a slide-out Blackberry keyboard.

dmc

I need more of a mobile email machine. If I'm goofing off^h^h^h^h^h^h^h away from my PC, I need to present myself in emails as if I were at my desk.

I'm willing to live with the limitations of a Blackberry Tour to get the keyboard. The web browser and music man-machine interface really does suck. In a perfect universe, I'd have an iPhone with a slide-out Blackberry keyboard.

I carry my laptop with me and use an aircard if i need to do more intense work..
I hear ya on the making it look like Im at my PC... haha.. I always joke that I closed one of the biggest deals in my old companies history while on a lift.

Iphone 4 has the ability to use bluetooth to a keyboard(I haven't tried) - I wonder if small keyboards are going to be created and sold..