• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

dmc

This has always amazed me why its such an issue for some people

it's a huge deal for me.. Don't be amazed...

During a 2 hour call - i need to be able to do other things.

Geoff

Just a tech limitation. CDMA can't do voice and data simultaneously, GSM can. LTE will change this.

Yep. LTE will start out as a data-only network. Your cell phone will have separate radios for CDMA and LTE. It will be years before Verizon migrates to an IMS voice over IP network. Until their whole customer base has migrated to LTE, it's really expensive to run parallel phone networks. I would be surprised if it happened before 2015 even though they're claiming they'll have LTE on their whole network by the end of 2013.

I'm probably going to replace my Verizon Blackberry Tour with a Motorola Droid 2 Global when my contract expires in June. I think it's the best of both worlds. You have the big touch screen like on an iPhone but you also have a slide-out keyboard. I'd like to wait for a comparable LTE phone but it doesn't exist yet.

mondeo

it's a huge deal for me.. Don't be amazed...

During a 2 hour call - i need to be able to do other things.
I think it's a big difference between people that use their phones for business and those who are purely personal use. The conference call is the only situation I could see that functionality being all that useful.

dmc

I think it's a big difference between people that use their phones for business and those who are purely personal use. The conference call is the only situation I could see that functionality being all that useful.

i can see other scenarios in personal life as well..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just bought a Thunderbolt last week. So far, I love it; it's a big upgrade from my Droid. I have already rooted it and ready for wireless tether! Yay!

The only downside so far on the phone is the kinda crappy battery live. But overall I'm a huge Android fan.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I <3 my Palm Pre Plus. Only problem is that there are so few apps utilizing webOS. What a shame.

But yeah, can't surf the internet and talk on the phone at the same time there either. Then again, I've had the phone for 8 months and only just discovered this. Guess it's not a huge drawback for me.

Just FYI the new Thunderbolt does both talk & surf simultaneously, on 3G. I'm not sure how they do it; but it definitely works, I have done it myself.

The most useful application for this I think is when you use your phone for navigation with Google... since it has to download all the maps to the phone as they aren't stored on the OS itself.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm waiting for Bionic

I was thinking about waiting for it, but I was up on my contract and my OG droid was getting so slow. I bought the Thunderbolt and just got a 1 year contract with it. I'm kinda tech-nerdy like that so I can upgrade again sooner.

The thing I dig about the THunderbolt is the unlocked bootloader so I can install custom ROM's. The Motorola's (ever since the Droid X) have been locked down / encrypted. :sad:

drjeff

I just bought a Thunderbolt last week. So far, I love it; it's a big upgrade from my Droid. I have already rooted it and ready for wireless tether! Yay!

The only downside so far on the phone is the kinda crappy battery live. But overall I'm a huge Android fan.

That's going to be a HUGE thing when basic, widely AFFORDABLE rechargeable battery technology can give us a product that can essentially run the computer that doubles as our phones these days for same length of time that we could get from a battery back in the "old" days :lol: when a cell phone was just a cell phone

I've gotten to the point now where I keep my car charger out all the time, I keep a charger on my desk at work, my usual charger at home, and then from the last few months of my old Blackberry Storm and its at the time horrid battery life as that lithium ion battery was on it's last days, a Duracell portable battery pack/charger that I'll often still hook my Droidx upto if I'm on the hill and running my Phresheez app

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yeah, it was a shocker going from my non-smartphone that got 5-7 days battery life to the Palm with 1 day, if I'm lucky--and far less if I use the hotspot feature. I actually bought an extra battery to keep on hand and have needed it when I was out and about away from home and the car a few times now.

o3jeff

If you have the time to search the internet/phone forums, there is a lot of good info on what to turn off on the phones that improves the battery life significantly.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, I've spent a bit of time on DroidForums (mostly figuring out HTH to root the phone). I probably wastequite a bit on GPS, but I also use Google Reader and basically always have the phone out and am goofing around with it :)

BackLoafRiver

I was thinking about waiting for it, but I was up on my contract and my OG droid was getting so slow.

My Droid is on its last leg. I was thinking about rooting since my warranty is almost up anyway.

Back to topic, anyone else hear the rumor that Apple may not announce the IPhone 5 at their annual WWDC in June? I didn't grab the VZ Iphone because I figured the 5th generation would be out by this summer.

wa-loaf

Back to topic, anyone else hear the rumor that Apple may not announce the IPhone 5 at their annual WWDC in June? I didn't grab the VZ Iphone because I figured the 5th generation would be out by this summer.

Yeah, sounds like it won't be out until the Fall now.

SkiDork

I was thinking about waiting for it, but I was up on my contract and my OG droid was getting so slow. I bought the Thunderbolt and just got a 1 year contract with it. I'm kinda tech-nerdy like that so I can upgrade again sooner.

The thing I dig about the THunderbolt is the unlocked bootloader so I can install custom ROM's. The Motorola's (ever since the Droid X) have been locked down / encrypted. :sad:

Nick, does Android have any kind of shell available?

skijay

I did upgrade to the VZ iPhone4. Like it so far. I went from a "mobile web" enabled phone to this. I chose the iPhone because of the reliability / durability of Apple products that I own and also I want my iPod, a camera and a phone on one device. I would have purchased a Droid on VZ but do not want to carry two large devices on my jog (a Droid and the iPod touch). Now I will just carry one large device. I am sorry to say but this is my first smartphone and I think it's huge.

I did run into a little issue which I wish was addressed at the Apple store prior to the purchase and activation of the phone. My Macbook runs OS X 10.4.11 and I have the 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo chip with iTunes 9. The iPhone4 requires iTunes 10 but in order to run that I need to upgrade to the OS X Snow Leopard. So, that involved the purchase of the software.

I now have to wait for a new SuperDrive as mine has been not working properly since I bought the Macbook in 2007. I always thought when it would not read a CD or a DVD it was because it was not "Mac compatible" so a new drive has been ordered. Until then I can not sync with iTunes.

mondeo

I did upgrade to the VZ iPhone4. Like it so far. I went from a "mobile web" enabled phone to this. I chose the iPhone because of the reliability / durability of Apple products that I own and also I want my iPod, a camera and a phone on one device. I would have purchased a Droid on VZ but do not want to carry two large devices on my jog (a Droid and the iPod touch). Now I will just carry one large device. I am sorry to say but this is my first smartphone and I think it's huge.
Why don't you just use the Droid as an MP3 player?