• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

skijay

Exactly. I really do not want to go through the "conversion" process. I did take a lot of time to import my CD collection to iTunes and it's there and staying. I have TV shows & videos also on it.

I am happy I have a camera with more than 2 megapixels and a video camera that I can actually upload the video to FB or YouTube and it can actually be a resolution that can be viewed on something larger than a 1" x 2" screen.

I just feel its kind of ironic the way the PC Vs. Mac commercials are and my needing to upgrade to get the iPhone4 to work. If I install iTunes on my Windows 7 laptop, I will get the latest version and I could transfer everything to that and be fine. I find it strange that Apple makes you upgrade to Snow Leopard to get an iPhone4 (at least for the Verizon version).

Glenn

We've got an iPad...and it's a great device. But my one gripe is iTunes. Anytime you need to upgrade anything, it has to be through iTunes. And any time an update to the OS comes out, they upadte iTunes as well. For something we plug into iTunes once every 2-3 months, it's kind of a PITA.

When I update the OS on my BlackBerry, I'm able to do that from the device; over the air. No plugging in. It would be great if Apple had a solution like that.

dmc

I heard itunes free os upgrades are part of the next release.
I don't really mind. I set the dl off and go about my business... so far theres been no critical updates that I need while traveling..

skijay

All is well in Apple land for me. I had the new superdrive installed last week on my MacBook and installed the OS X 10.6.7 and the iTunes 10.2.2. The Apple store stepped up and even one year after my AppleCare expired took care of me.

I do like the phone as it does more than the replacement phone with the same data package. I can actually browse the web. The only thing I can not figure out is why my Yahoo email account will not receive or send when I am at home on the WiFi. It works everywhere else on WiFi or 3G. I figure it's my firewall but I looked at the Settings on the iPhone > Mail, Contacts, Calender > selected Yahoo > Selected Account > Saw the Outgoing SMTP server > Primary Server. Found Host name and server port. But that's all I could find.

I went to my firewall settings and need the following and I can not seem to find it. Any suggestions on where to get this?

Port ID

Allowed Protocol
Port Range :
Protocol Number

dmc

The only thing I can not figure out is why my Yahoo email account will not receive or send when I am at home on the WiFi. It works everywhere else on WiFi or 3G. I figure it's my firewall but I looked at the Settings on the iPhone > Mail, Contacts, Calender > selected Yahoo > Selected Account > Saw the Outgoing SMTP server > Primary Server. Found Host name and server port. But that's all I could find.

I went to my firewall settings and need the following and I can not seem to find it. Any suggestions on where to get this?

Port ID

Allowed Protocol
Port Range :
Protocol Number

Check your router..

skijay

My router is looking for that information to "allow" it to work. I had to do it with the Wii & my IPTV, but I was able to get the infomation from tech support for those devices.

bvibert

Staff member
Tomorrow is the day for new iPhones (4s or 5?) ah and if you have and HTC ... might be time to switch: http://gizmodo.com/5845867/massive-htc-android-vulnerability-leaves-security-expert-speechless

Figures an Apple fan would post that... ;)

Sounds likes it's being blown a little out of proportion to me. It's only a problem if you download a malicious app. It's not like every HTC Android phone out there is being hacked as we speak. Still a problem, yes, but not a cause to dump HTC, IMHO.

o3jeff

I have the 4G and have had no problems, but then again I don't use a whole lot of "questionable" apps.

Interested to see what Apple is offering tomorrow and also what Sprint will be doing, I'm considering a change!

Does the iPhone have a speak to text feature already or is it suppose to be on this next phone?

BackLoafRiver

Does the iPhone have a speak to text feature already or is it suppose to be on this next phone?

iOS 5 is supposed to include "Assistant" which should take care of it. They haven't officially released it but that should be included with the release of the new phone. The other upgrades in 5 look awesome. I love the new notifications.

I am excited to see what the new phone looks like. If it isn't a substantial upgrade, I will go android again. (which, considering the new security issues, might be a bad choice) In any event, my Droid is almost fully wasted. The current rumor is no new design updates, just some new guts. The upside is the guts are impressive; new processor, new camera, 1gig ram.

BackLoafRiver

The story that wa-loaf linked to above only pertains to the HTC Android phones, not Android phones in general.

Yeah, that's a good point...shoulda pointed out that I was looking at the new Droid Prime instead. In any event, the apple press conference tomorrow should be cool.

wa-loaf

o3jeff

iOS 5 is supposed to include "Assistant" which should take care of it. They haven't officially released it but that should be included with the release of the new phone. The other upgrades in 5 look awesome. I love the new notifications.

I am excited to see what the new phone looks like. If it isn't a substantial upgrade, I will go android again. (which, considering the new security issues, might be a bad choice) In any event, my Droid is almost fully wasted. The current rumor is no new design updates, just some new guts. The upside is the guts are impressive; new processor, new camera, 1gig ram.

Thanks and I am interested in seeing what Apple has to offer tomorrow.

The story that wa-loaf linked to above only pertains to the HTC Android phones, not Android phones in general.

Please refer to him as iWa-loaf in this thread.

wa-loaf

Sounds like AT&T is going to keep the 3Gs as a free option (with contract) for those of you wanting to save a buck.