• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

wa-loaf

*** If the online posts appearing on a chat forum at MacRumors.com are for real, "Find My Friends" may have already claimed its first marriage. Saturday night on MacRumors, a man saying he lived in New York City posted this:
"Divorcing wife. Thanks iPhone 4s and Find My Friends. I got my wife a new 4s and loaded up find my friends without her knowing. She told me she was at her friends house in the east village. I've had suspicions about her meeting this guy who live uptown. Lo and behold, Find my Friends has her right there.
I just texted her asking where she was and the dumb b---- said she was on 10th Street!! Thank you Apple, thank you App Store, thank you all. These beautiful treasure trove of screen shots [sic] going to play well when I meet her ... at the lawyer's office in a few weeks." ***

More dirt: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/iphone-app-find-friends-finds-cheating-wife-apple/story?id=14753196

Yeah, but what's the legality of installing tracking software on someone without their knowledge? If the dude were smart he would have been quiet about it and then "bumped" into her up there without letting on he tracked her.

ctenidae

Yeah, but what's the legality of installing tracking software on someone without their knowledge? If the dude were smart he would have been quiet about it and then "bumped" into her up there without letting on he tracked her.

I'm no lawyer, but in this case, I don't think there's a question of legality- civil case, not criminal.

drjeff

Is this really that much different though than hiring a private detective to secretly follow somebody and then confronting them with the evidence later??

Glenn

Probably depends on what level of perceived privacy people have with a phone that has a built in GPS. There's probably not a heck of a lot...unless you turn the thing off.

legalskier

I hate you. You made me watch a segment of The View, and I laughed at it. I feel so dirty.

I'm so so sorry. I would never do that intentionally to anyone.

He posted anonymously (fwiw). I believe the article also says that he purchased the phone for his wife, so he can claim joint ownership of it. Can she seriously claim she has an expectation of privacy on such a phone from her husband with whom she cohabitates? I have no idea; it's probably a developing area of the law, which generally lags well behind technology ("EFF Urges Senators to Recognize Need for Updated Privacy Laws," https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/07/eff-urges-senators-recognize-need-updated-privacy).

One court says it's ok for a suspicious spouse to use a hidden gps tracking device: "Spying on your spouse just got easier after a New Jersey appellate court ruling declared this week that using a GPS tracking device to follow someone is not a violation of their privacy" (http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...k-cheating-spouse-not-privacy-invasion-52087/). Cell phones probably aren't far behind. Also, divorce lawyers have been obtaining Easy-pass transponder records for a while now.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't really care, I have latitude on my phone and my wife and I can see where the other is. I routinely ask her to check my email or phone for things if its next to her. Wierd to me when I see people freaking out about sharing their email or phone w a spouse.

drjeff

I don't really care, I have latitude on my phone and my wife and I can see where the other is. I routinely ask her to check my email or phone for things if its next to her. Wierd to me when I see people freaking out about sharing their email or phone w a spouse.

It's usually because they have something to hide...

My wife and I have seperate e-mail accounts, but can access each others whenever we want. I just plain and simply get too much dental politics related e-mails that she could absolutely care less about, and she gets far too many e-mails notifying her about the latest sales from her favorite shoe/clothing companies that I frankly DON'T want to know about ;) :rolleyes: :lol: Things like our respective Facebook accounts, etc, well she's always logged on at her home laptop and i'm always logged on at my home desktop which we both have total access too, so if we so choose we can access each others accounts whenever we want. Plus our cell phones spend the night on chargers right next to each other, so if we wanted to check them, the access is open and there.

I suppose though that if someone wanted to try and hide something in this day and age, that in one sense it would be easy to do, but then again the chance of getting caught are pretty high too

Glenn

So I wanted this phone pretty bad (4S). But after I thought about it.....I may hold off. I have a feeling the 5 is going to be out next year. And while we won't know exactly what it'll be like, I'm confident it'll have a bigger screen and be 4G ready. I'm just worried that I'd get the 4s...and 6 months later, a better version is out.

MR. evil

Finally got my 4s today, pretty sweet so far. Transferred everything from my old phone to the new one with no issues. But now I want to wipe clean my old phone. How do I do that?

I dictated this message by voice.....pretty cool huh?

wa-loaf

But now I want to wipe clean my old phone. How do I do that

Hook it up to iTunes and restore to factory settings. That will clear most info out. I'm just keeping my 3Gs as an iPod for the kids.

wa-loaf

Won't it try to sync when I connect it?

i changed it's name, so it does sync, but then you can reset it. You can also go into general settings and then reset, it gives you an option to erase all content and settings.

MR. evil

My music didn't transfer over to the phone. Problem is that my old iTunes library was on the old laptop that is dead . The only place the music exists is on my old iPhone. Can I get it off the old phone onto the new laptop?

wa-loaf

As long as it's all tied to the same account you should be able to sync it to the new computer.