• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yes, I am a wuss...

Greg

Staff member
-5*F at the house this morning. Not cold by Northern New England standards, but plenty cold for CT. I'm sure it was significantly colder at Butternut. Anyone else cancel a ski day today? The visibility must be awesome.

J

jlangdale

Got up late, ate breakfast, watched a movie with the family... just got out of the shower about to put my gear on and head out. It's a tough job... but someone has to do it. Oh well.

May bring back some pictures, perfectly sunny today.

jimme

Not a wuss at all. I won't do a zero day again unless I'm somehow forced. See my trip report about Friday night. Another layer of either Fleece or Wool would have helped. Some people can tolerate fridgid cold better than others. Today's sun will help as my shaded therometer reads 0, and the sunny one reads 20.

Jimme

skijay

No you were not a wuss! I skied at MontJoye and it was much colder and I felt much warmer. Maybe because that was night skiing and I was full of carbs.

Butternut was fine today. It was not the ride on the lift, it was coming down that the cold "bit" me!!! It was colder on the Overbrook side (less trees???).

J

jlangdale

All done for the day, very, very, very cold. I did it. Only had issues with fingers getting cold. I got a hood to wear under my helmet with a turtle warmer attached. Worked very well to keep the face and ears warm with the helmet. I need new gloves because I broke mine playing with my Jeep and getting my hand caught near the radiator fan :) Other than that, frosty, but skiable.

Pictures to here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?p=5062#5062

R

RJ

The tempature at the summit of Waterville Valley was -14 with winds of 20 to 30 knots on Saturday. Although it was cold, the conditions were suprisingly good. I would like to say I skied all day, but to be truly honest, I only skied to noon. Sunday was considerably warmer at -3.

Greg

Staff member
If I had the chance to be a wuss today, I would too...

Looks like the weekend is shaping up nicely with significantly warmer temps. Problem is, being MLK weekend, it'll be a zoo... :roll:

jimme

Funny how 15 - 20 degrees looks warm after these zero and below days.

Sunday is looking reasonable. MLK weekend plus the fact that so many of us have been waiting out the cold to go skiing! But, again beggar's can't be choosers (and I'm begging for more ski days) so I hope to get some twilight in on Sat or Sun.

Jimme

Greg

Staff member
jimme said:
Funny how 15 - 20 degrees looks warm after these zero and below days.
Absolutely. I stepped out of the house yesterday morning and it was 30 degrees. It felt amazingly warm. This morning was a different story, -4*F. It's strange though; I'm getting used to it...

ChileMass

I agree - I think I'm getting used to it now also. It was 0*F and windy this AM en route to work and I barely noticed it......

ChileMass

Sugarloaf website says today's high will be -6*F and tomorrow -5*F with wind. Approx -23*F at the summit both days! Yikes!!

Greg

Staff member
Yup. Many areas are staying closed today and tomorrow...

Joshua B

Really? Which ones?

I was just outside for about a 10 minute walk each way, and I was terribly cold on my way back because the wind was blowing in my face. If you're out today you really need a face mask or a scarf to cover every exposed area of flesh. No exceptions.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Really? Which ones?
Well, I know of Wildcat, Beast, and Burke. There are probably others...

Joshua B

Yeah, someone mentioned Cannon. Glad to know I'm not the only wuss who refuses to ski in brutally cold weather. Snow guns, snowmaking pipe, and diesel engines also refuse to cooperate!

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Yeah, someone mentioned Cannon.
Cannon patrollers were evaluating summit conditions this AM, but I think they opened. The Cannonball quad and Tram are not running though.