• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I am on mole patrol again and need some help!

skijay

This year there has been an infestation of moles around my property. Normally they stay out in the field area between my property and the crop fields and never go into my back lawn.

This year they have made their way into the yard and up to the foundation of my home. My back lawn is not the greatest and I was going to have a new lawn installed in spring but decided to wait until these things are gone.

Any suggestions? Here is what I have done to date and the results:

Seven - did notice dead beetles on the surface after application and the one rain event we had. Moles still around.

Mole & Gopher "peanuts" - Placed in active tunnels - tunnel still active

Tomcat worm - Might have worked but gets expensive - I had bought 4 boxes. Had a one week break, but it is back or new mole using existing tunnel.

The spike traps - have four - they have gone off but nothing killed.

moth balls - placed one about 4 inches apart around the property. Sort of like an invisible fence. The moles ignored it.

A sonic spike - Yes, I fell prey and bought one of those spikes (solar powered) that emits a sonic vibration into the soil. The box said it does work :) I think you know what the result is on this.

I have never seen it this bad. It is not just me, my neighbors have them too. Is it because we have had a lack of rain? The early season warm spell? Any suggestions to get rid of them are welcome.

Geoff

I think your first attempt using Sevin was the right path. Go after their food source. They eat grubs & insect larva. You might be using the wrong insecticide. Maybe something with Imidacloprid in it?

drjeff

I've had mole issues in my yard on/off for years now - stubborn, ugly, annoying, frustrating little sh$ts! :mad: I've had professional soil analysis done, tried everything you mentioned, tried everything the guy that does my fertilizing reccommended, and basically because my yard borders a farm field, I might scare them away temporarily, but they keep coming back :mad: Geoff hit on one of their primary food sources (grubs/larvae/etc) which is a sign of lawn trouble, but one of horticulturalists that did a soil analysis for me a few years ago (I essentially had no grubs and great soil mineral content) that ground moles also feed on earthworms which if plentifull is a sign of lawn health - so you can be screwed if your lawn both is and isn't healthy with respect to those little critters! :uzi: :smash: :mad:

tjf67

It may be time to bring a few new pets into the house. Get a couple cats.

mondeo

3D50.jpg