• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Move to the country. Visit with nature.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A bear that crashed through the screen door of a Randolph home had to be shot over the July 4th holiday weekend, as authorities wrestled with a slew of calls...

...Fish and Game officers shot the bear that entered a home on Durand Road in Randolph while the residents were outside, according to New Hampshire State Police.

100706bear_225px.jpg

Another report involved a juvenile bear at Fransted Campground. Comea said the 70-pound bear had probably just left his sow and was moseying around. She credited the campground for the steps it has taken to discourage bear traffic. The bear moved on.
New Hampshire is home to about 4,800 bears, which is the target population for the state, said Andrew Timmins, bear project leader for New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.
Only a small percentage of those bears are nuisance bears, he said.
He said about 15 bears are officially dispatched every year, but more are likely shot that aren't reported to Fish and Game. State law allows bears to be killed that enter a home or kill livestock.
"As a department, it's not something we quickly tell people to do," Timmins said.

By MARK HAYWARD
New Hampshire Union Leader
Tuesday, Jul. 6, 2010

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I think it was Brian who told me that nuisance bears in CT are sometimes relocated to Nass, the same place where a bunch of AZers go MTBing. That said, we live in a city of about 35,000 and a bear was roaming the neighborhood 2 blocks away from us (not far from downtown). My mom gets them on her deck and around her house periodically on the other side of the city. A bear was running around on Route 202 near Burger King on a very busy road last summer. You don't need to move to the country to have nature visit you.

Glenn

Our neighbors in VT had a bear climb a tree near their house. It was tagged, so they called fish and game. "Oh, that's ____.....he's from Connecticut".

dmc

The famous mother and cubs filmed playing on the ski slopes of Hunter were shot... All of them because the mother was teaching them to break into houses and cars for food..

dmc

I wonder if people are being shot for breaking and entering too :-?

The Hunter police blotter seems filled with controlled substance violations.:spin:

Thats the anual Mountain Jam weekend busts...

Problem with bears is you can't just relocate them - or so I was told..

ctenidae

Thats the anual Mountain Jam weekend busts...

Problem with bears is you can't just relocate them - or so I was told..

I've probably told this story before, but I was talking to a Park Ranger out in Arizona a few years ago, adn he said they had a guy that worked for them that had an amaizing record with relocating problem bears. They'd capture the bear, he'd take them to the relocation site, and presto, no more problem bears. Come to find out, he would take the bears out to the woods, tie them to a tree, and proceed to beat the crap out of them. No permanent damage, or anything, but just whack the snot out of them. Reason being, the bears had lost their fear of humans, and so had no trouble wandering aroundneighborhoods. A good beating would re-instill that fear, and the bears never wandered into populated areas again.

Naturally, people from PETA or the ASPCA, or something caught wind of the method, and forced them to fire the guy. So now they shoot the bears. Because that's kinder.

Dr Skimeister

I've probably told this story before, but I was talking to a Park Ranger out in Arizona a few years ago, adn he said they had a guy that worked for them that had an amaizing record with relocating problem bears. They'd capture the bear, he'd take them to the relocation site, and presto, no more problem bears. Come to find out, he would take the bears out to the woods, tie them to a tree, and proceed to beat the crap out of them. No permanent damage, or anything, but just whack the snot out of them. Reason being, the bears had lost their fear of humans, and so had no trouble wandering aroundneighborhoods. A good beating would re-instill that fear, and the bears never wandered into populated areas again.

Naturally, people from PETA or the ASPCA, or something caught wind of the method, and forced them to fire the guy. So now they shoot the bears. Because that's kinder.

Maybe the "whack the snot out of them" method should be used on the nimrods that do things to encourage black bears to seek food from areas of human habitation.

There have been several instances of black bears being euthanized here in northwest NJ where the fault clearly lies with people luring bears to them. In one case, a guy that owned a bakery used to bring home the left-over baked goods from his shop and throw them up in the woods behind his house, thinking he was do the bears a favor by giving them treats. A neighbor of his, in preparation for a family gathering asked the baker to supply him with a couple dozen donuts. The baker brought the donuts home and with the neighbor not being home yet, put them in his unlocked garage. When the neighbor got home he found three bears in the garage eating donuts. A call to the state police resulted in the bears being shot.

Another case involved a guy and his son hiking in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. They stopped for a break and saw a bear in some proximity to them. These dopes thought it would be a good idea to break apart the bagels they were munching on and toss pieces towards the bear. The bear thought it was just fine to eat the offerings. Hours later they were returning and came upon the bear in the same area. The bear, seeking more snacks, approached the hikers. When no food was offered, the bear allegedly swiped at the son's backpack. The same backpack that the bagels were originally taken from. Calls to rangers resulted in a croaked bear.

ctenidae

Maybe the "whack the snot out of them" method should be used on the nimrods that do things to encourage black bears to seek food from areas of human habitation.

Might be more humane to use the bullet method on the nimrods.

Heh, nimrods. Hadn't heard that in a while. I like it. Will probably use it at least once today.