• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

help with my new house

MrMagic

Hey everybody haven been around much this summer mostly cause ski season is over and the fact that I bought a house has kept me away from alpinezone so im looking for any advice or suggestions or anything that home owners or renters may have for me here is a alittle about the house and the sit. Ill keep it short

I closed right before my 25th birthday in june the house is a four bedroom brick/shake bungalow in new britain Ct ( outside of Hartford) walking distance to central university ( where I go to grad school) the house is 100 years old, it was turn key and needed no work I will be putting in a half bath down stairs in the laundry room as well as a pellet stove to off set the oil heat down stairs. I turned the back poarch into a work area with work bench / wax table for skis I have three roommates that live with me that pay my mortgage ect ect. Large back yard with grape vines ( Italian neighborhood) and pear/ apple trees – I will plant blueberry bushes next year.
So if anyone has any advice or anything I welcome all.

Picture of the outside and of the ski/ work room – note the two t-bars !!! best part of the house !!

Picture_265.jpg

Picture_266.jpg

MR. evil

Congrats on the house!

If you have any carpentry / general construction questions feel free to PM. Also, when it comes to tools, you get what you pay for.

If you need to verify my credentials, check out my Kitchen face lift thread.

bvibert

Staff member
I'll come over to help you break it in, and drink your beer. Otherwise I have no advice... ;)

Looks nice!

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Congrats on the house!

If you have any carpentry / general construction questions feel free to PM. Also, when it comes to tools, you get what you pay for.
+1! I've rehabbed one house, and finished a basement in my new house, plus lots of landscape work. Feel free to ask questions.

My take on the blueberry bushes: We planted 3 and they took right off, but I've heard they love sandy, acidic soil which we have an abundance of (LOTS of pine trees around and the best digging my builder has ever encountered) and moderate-to-full sun. I'm not sure on the specific variety we planted, but they yield a medium sized berry, not the big fat juicy cultivated kind. Just make sure what you plant matches your soil composition.

Nice house!

WakeboardMom

No advice...but...wow!! 25 years old and a homeowner...that's awesome! Congratulations and best of luck!

Greg

Staff member
Congrats! Beautiful looking home. Can't beat the character of an older home. I do a fair amount of DIY stuff (expanding our deck currently), tons of landscaping, etc. Would be happy to offer advice or lift a hand if you need it.

powhunter

Congrats on the house Chris!! Pretty clever having a few roomies to help pay the bills......Any improvements or remodeling that you cant do, I would definately recomend JP, and you can usually pay him with some old ski equiptment

steveo

Glenn

Nice work and congrats! Plus, you're in "Hard Hittin' New Britain'!"

I'm a weekend warrior...I'll be happy to help with any advice...as long as I know what I'm talking about.

Madroch

Congrats!! I have no advice whatseover, but having no DIY skills and having owned homes for 15 years I have an extensive list of tradesmen-- masons, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, roofers, pavers, landscapers and general handymen.

2knees

congrats Chris. I know all about older homes as I've lived in them as a kid and now as an adult.

Learn this, no project is straight forward. Nothing is standard or at right angles or easy to fix. Everytime i start something, it invariably ends up being a much larger project by the time i'm finished.

Good luck bro and it looks awesome.

Warp Daddy

Hey smart move there young gun !!

I bought my home when i was still 25 too , still live in it . @knees is right on target owning old homes 9 mines circa 103 yrs old --Nothing is as it seems !! MY DIY skills while limited are used for small jobs , i leave bigger projects to pros

But damn the construction and framing and architectural details are super . You need BOTH patience AND $$$ and a spirit of Adventure , but the result is more often than not Worth it ! he mature trees and gardens that are already in place also a great thing

Grassi21

Congrats! Love the front porch. And being walking distance from Central you may be able to score some hot young college chicks! ;-)