• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback to Stratton rt.4 to rt 16

Angus

experiences...recommendations...# of days...camping site along the ridge...average # of miles per day with a 10 year old - who's strong on the trail. want to take the side trails to mt abe and sugarloaf.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I did this trip last year. On Memorial Day weekend we hiked from Rte 4 to Caribou Valley Road, and the weekend after we started where we left off, tagged the Crockers and Redington, and made our way out to Rte 16.

I have an epic trip report from the long weekend posted in the trip reports forum with pictures here[url]. I never got around to writing a trip report for the Crockers, but have their pictures [url=http://hiking.saletnik.org/gallery/crockers_redington]here.

The long and short of it — this is a tremendously *amazing* route to backpack. It was incredible. I have only a few things to add that are either unstated or understated in the TR, so I apologize if I sound brief; it's just that I think most of what I want to say is already said in the link.

Memorial Day was too early in the year to be there; all the north facing trails were covered with snow and running water and even if it hadn't rained the whole time, I still would have been miserable.

Don't go right after or during heavy rains; Oberon Stream would be a terrible place to be stuck if it was uncrossable, and the Carrabassett itself, just before CVR (Caribou Valley Road) can be a very dangerous crossing. We were lucky that both were, while cold and hip-deep, not strong enough a current to cause us problems. A small child, however, would have had an issue.

The side trails were no problem at all. Poplar Ridge lean-to has a "baseball bat" floor, not slab lumber, so you definitely need a thick sleeping pad. The distances are pretty long and mildly strenuous; expect to take full days to get from shelter to shelter; you may want to consider spending an extra night at Piazza Rock, just a short way in, to get yourself an earlier start on your first "real" day, because that day of going directly over Saddleback and the Horn is very strenuous. You can always skip the other summits which are on side trails if you end up behind schedule.

I can't comment on Crocker Cirque campsite, but the two lean-to's we stayed at were excellent spots. Plenty of water (bring a filter), and enough stream crossings between shelters at which to filter that I don't think we ever carried more than 2L at a time. Spaulding shelter definitely had space for 2 tents (there were 2 tents set up there); I don't remember Poplar so well.

June is blackfly season in that area. Just say no. I did the Bigelows the weekend before July 4th and was eaten alive; over a dozen bites on one arm alone.

After doing this trip, go back and do the Bigelows as a 2-day or even a 3-day. They're the gems of the area. :)

Mike P.

I've done all these as day hikes the trip you have planned is a ME classic, the best in many people's opinions outside of BSP. Only issue besides when is transportation as you end up miles from your starting point.

IMO Saddleback is best above treeline hiking in ME outside of BSP although many agree with Michael that the Bigelows are 2nd. IMO Abraham is underappeciated & my 3rd favorite ahead of the Bigelows but I think that is just because it gets less press.

That area I've hit August through mid- Spetember & the weather was good & the bugs were not too bad.